[V12] Loading saves crashes the game

Hmm. My last auto save works and there is a crashed UFO. I loaded it. Ran the mission then saved afterwards and then CTD on load.

Something for people to look out for. Were there other interceptors in the air when the chinook got to the crash site when autosave ceased/broke? I know this is the case where mine went all mung.

I've just wiped the users directory since all other saves, including earlier auto-saves did not work. I'll try to re-produce.

Edited by Bodestone

I've added the link to the workaround post in the master bug thread, so there's that.

Could you link to that post in the MBT here please. There's 46 pages to wade through. Cheers.

Edit: OK, 46 posts, 5 pages but I don't see your name on any of the posts.

Edit: Found it. It's not the sticky Master Bug Thread but a different one

Edited by Bodestone

I had a save that would not work. It was on a ground combat screen. Went to a save before loaded fine. It was just that one save that CTD. Subsequent saves had active crash sites and interceptors in the air. I don't know if this is a result of corrupted saves that would load but alien activity went nuts like 7 ufo's in the air between 2 bases. It was only 25 of June. Also some were squadrons of 3 alien fighters. Notice I said some. I never seen that many this early in the game playing on easy. I could not hire troops either because the hire troop screen would not populate. It would take the money for hiring them thank you very much. Will wipe out all saved games in folder and try to recreate.

Could you link to that post in the MBT here please. There's 46 pages to wade through. Cheers.

Edit: OK, 46 posts, 5 pages but I don't see your name on any of the posts.

Edit: Found it. It's not the sticky Master Bug Thread but a different one

Yeah, sorry about that - I'm not a moderator, otherwise I'd sticky the new thread. For now I bump it whenever I update it to keep it near the top

My CDTs that appeared to cause save game corruption were always at the point a shotgun bllet hit an alien. I am certain there were at least 2 types of alien so I will now look out for it.

First instance I got CTD but had made no manual saves. I started saving from that point on with one save from globe and one at start of mission. Next CDT I tried to load my manual saves. Only save that would load was the last autosave before initial CDT. Previous 2 auto saves would not load without crashing. Playing from that one good save any subsequent saves would crash on load.

I applied the rapidfire fix, loaded the one working save but still could not make any other good saves.

I decided to start completely from scratch. I deleted the entire save file folder and the xenonauts game folder and re-extracted it from the download. I applied the rapidfire xml fix. Next CTD left no usable save files at all. This happened twice.

I do understand this is alpha and I do expect a lot of bugs. I'm good with that. I do think however that a focus on making the save games more rugged would help not put testers off. I can cope with loosing a few hours here and there now and then but to repeatedly have to start from scratch before I have even had a chance to equip soldiers with any alien researched armour or weapons..

I am also quite happy to send any save, config files and as close as I can remember of events leading to CDT whenever this occurs.

Edited by Bodestone

Commenting for frequency: I have a game I created post-XML-fix with several manual Combat saves and two auto saves. The two most recent saves - Combat and auto save - were created while two downed UFOs were on the Geoscape map. The next-most-recent save - an auto-save - was created while no downed UFOs were on the map. That file loads fine; the two more previous save files cause a CTD with 100% repro.

Now when saving at all and trying to load that save game again results in crash on the map screen. Must be because I have progressed so far and game is hell corrupted. Shame. I wonder how people got so far into game, this latest build has pretty much put a solid STOP to testing this game out, constant crashes, some to desktop some just freezes screen.

• 2 months later...