That's exactly how I describe you Thunder:p

And the devs are working with a tight budget and I think they focus on improvements more than additions. The ranking system is fine but I like the idea of only one commander per base. That seems realistic and possibly more balanced?

i understand that and i'm not suggesting that the dev's alter theres attention just that it can be reviewed/considered once the game is closer to a final build.

i understand that and i'm not suggesting that the dev's alter theres attention just that it can be reviewed/considered once the game is closer to a final build.
Of course:D

Beta is Beta and everything is subject to change and several iteration. Wasn't accusing you of anything btw:)!

Nope, Simmo, he was not accusing you, he was accusing me ;).

And, Darin, it is still an alpha, but the developers have stated that some things will not change "...that late in the development." :P

Edited by ThunderGr

yeah didn't mean to sound defensive, i was shocked about Chris's response regarding it, i had up until that point thought he was very openminded about the community's wishes, it seems now that he has little time for change and will only look at fixing.

Sorry if it sounds like i'm blasting Chris btw i'm sure he has alot on his plate and i do hope that he becomes more open to it again once things are more complete.

My apologies I could have sworn at some point they stated that steam would mark the beginnings of the beta, but at this point it doesn't even matter. Alpha, Beta they are all stages of development. ;)

No need to apologize. It is advertised as a beta, anyway. The developers had said and announced many things that did not do and, afterwards, stated they will not do. The description of the game is now inaccurate in the advertising posts they have, since many features(like random maps) are no longer included. I really want to support independent developers but I expect them to give to their customers the respect they should, something that, unfortunately, Chris is not very good at doing, since, in several posts, he has colored and judged his customers as well as behaved in such a way that made clear he does not care if his customers are satisfied or not. Poor decisions that will cost to the company, IMHO.

EDIT:

Sorry if it sounds like i'm blasting Chris btw i'm sure he has alot on his plate and i do hope that he becomes more open to it again once things are more complete.

No, you were not blasting Chris...I guess my latest posts do, though.

Edited by ThunderGr

I absolutely respect Chris for sticking to his guns though and I think the drastic changes are necessary for an evolution of a game and if they TRULY won't work, Chris will change it if it is allowed. Its all for the sake of the game and will eventually add up to a cleaner experience. This is also their first game so take it easy bud, this is by far the best Xcom reimagaging I've seen in a long while and I'm glad to see it grow and change. You just have to accept that they can't please everyone and it's for the good of the game as a whole.

@Daringunicorn

The advertised game was promising, this is why I bought it. In order to support the development. The steps taken recently have started to point out to a failed game. I am not so sure, anymore, it is going to be worthy. It has removed many things. No elevated terrain, no random maps, iffy territory distribution, buggy and restrictive engine that will lead to permanent bugs in the final release. A promising air combat is getting more automated, unrealistic promotion system. We are at this stage of development and there are LOS and LOF issues. Unrealistic grenade trajectories(I hope they can fix that last one or they will be forced to remove grenades) etc.

I don't know. I hope for the best but, realistically, I think it will turn out to be another failed attempt.

I absolutely respect Chris for sticking to his guns though and I think the drastic changes are necessary for an evolution of a game and if they TRULY won't work, Chris will change it if it is allowed. Its all for the sake of the game and will eventually add up to a cleaner experience.

I see many of the mistakes being made as a dumbing down of the game and the lazy way out in the area of balance and some general immersion factors. Not necessarily they don't work, they do work, but they work as a lazy solution that effects quality and immersion into the game. Invincible interceptors and Armies of Colonels are the two I ran into so far. One of the responses given by a developer was that, rather than a reflection of the quality of their idea, the uproar over immortal interceptors is from how they presented it. It's quite condescending.

You say they ought to do it that way then change it if it doesn't work, I'm saying they should try to balance it without resorting to the lazy way out first, then take the lazy road only if all else fails. Which do you think would make for a better game? If they keep taking the easy way out at every design decision it's gonna be a disappointment.

yeah i think you got the meat of the problem there shabowie, i don't think capping the ranks would be hard to implement and the immortal interceptors is just to make it easier for them to balance, i don't think they care about immersion anymore just what's easier for them.

On immortal interceptors, since it was brought up:

They're actually not immersion breaking, if done correctly. The later planes have alloys, they're basically indestructible anyway. Earlier planes, I'm working on getting that fixed.

On ranks:

The game isn't any worse, gameplay wise, having an "army of colonels", as compared to an "army of <insert rank 8 here>s". It's just a name, and Chris didn't care to change it because it'd be more work for him when he has more important things to work on.

The rank progression, rather, how fast they progress, absolutely needs to be looked at. However, not from a real-world rank point of view, but as a morale balancing point of view. They may as well be called morale bonus 1, morale bonus 2, etc for all the gameplay difference the names make.

That all being said, the game has to not only function well, but look good as well, so I want the ranks to be lowered (see my poll) as well, just to look better. I don't want to create any work for Chris, though, since he's probably overworked as it is, so I'd like to make it a mod that can just be incorporated into the main game whenever he has the few minutes needed to change a few strings in the master strings.xml and replace a few images in the master assets folder.

On ranks: they are just labels, for heaven's sake. I don't care if they call them Obersturmfuhrer! Besides, the Canadian army has more officers than soldiers...

On grenades: the last patch (4) allows throwing grenades over obstacles like fences. That is "realistic" enough for me.

Air combat: look, this is a ground combat game. I don't want to jump through hoops to get to the ground combat.

3D terrain: it would be nice. OK, it WAS promised, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Henri