Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How?

You can wait until the alien ship makes the dodge action - by that point your MiG will have gotten closer so you can still fire off all three remaining missiles, but Death by Chains' strategy is sound.

Yeah there's no range indicator on the missiles unfortunately. You can work it out easily enough though - if the missile is locked and hasn't fired, you're not in range. If it has fired, you are
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

It is a little counter-intuitive to people who have learned that "red is dead", meaning safeties off and ready to fire, but once you understand the thought behind it, the current system actually works really well.

I always have 1 sidewinder in the flight set to fire at will. This not only tells me when I am in missile range, but also will set off the barrel roll for a hostile fighter. Then as soon as he flips, I'm launching one or two more to take him out.

Scouts and higher don't seem to roll, so I just determine what it takes to ALMOST knock them out, and set that many missiles to fire at will. I'll finish them off with my guns to make them crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Knox1776 View Post
    It is a little counter-intuitive to people who have learned that "red is dead", meaning safeties off and ready to fire, but once you understand the thought behind it, the current system actually works really well.
    "Green is go" "red is stop" ... where does "red is dead" come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yeah there's no range indicator on the missiles unfortunately. You can work it out easily enough though - if the missile is locked and hasn't fired, you're not in range. If it has fired, you are
    Simples, I like it! lol

The only issue with "use lots of missiles" against fighters is when you're going against a fighter wing of 3, you haven't got that many missiles (or do you guys use all migs?). At least with flanking you can maneuver to hit a fighter with sidewinders so they break off and free up one interceptor to kill the fighters pursuing the bait.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyRighty View Post
    The only issue with "use lots of missiles" against fighters is when you're going against a fighter wing of 3, you haven't got that many missiles (or do you guys use all migs?). At least with flanking you can maneuver to hit a fighter with sidewinders so they break off and free up one interceptor to kill the fighters pursuing the bait.
    Assuming you're not packing alenium warheads, a 3-v-3 fight takes a fair bit of micromanaging. You need to bring multiple fighters of your own, of course.

In the initial phase, select each fighter and set a waypoint that splits the flight in multiple directions - that'll let you tell which UFO is paired up on which fighter. (You can use each fighter's afterburner to stagger the timing of the merges between each fighter/UFO pair.) Once you've drawn the aliens a little apart, re-select each fighter's opponent to accept battle. Make liberal use of the pause function to get the timing of your missile-launches right. Each fighter launches a 'Winder to force its UFO into an evasive roll, fires the second to score a hit as he levels out, then goes in with guns to finish the job. Naturally, any fighter that kills its opponent quickly turns to engage another with its guns.

You could also switch up targets - have Fighter #1 ignore UFO #1 from the start of the fight and go after UFO #2 or #3 instead, and so forth - but given the current state of the AI, each UFO is fixated on killing its given target, so trading targets that way would be complicated, risky, and quite possibly a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by Death by Chains; 06-20-2012 at 01:47.