[V12] Master Bug Thread

We're back in business! Thread updated at 10PM EST, July 9.

The thread hadn't been updated in awhile because I'm on the East Coast and we got hit by a bad storm the weekend before last - lost power in the blistering heat for several days, so this thread has sadly gotten out of date by an entire build for a week. I'm back up to speed now though, most new bugs were just added tonight - I haven't done any confirming or replicating (I'm still downloading the update!)

Do not post bug reports in this thread. Post bug reports in their own thread, as detailed here.

*** A note on AI bugs ***

I see occasional reports of poor AI behavior. Dumb AI behaviors are well known as the AI is currently a placeholder, so no need to report on AI behavior bugs (unless they're causing additional issues like crashes to desktop or turns that don't end).

Bugs are color coded as follows:

Red means reported but unconfirmed. Someone has posted about the bug, but other people haven't seen it and also reported on it.

Yellow is confirmed, either by screenshot, or me, the dev team, or by at least two other people in the same thread.

Blue is REPEATABLE, and ideally where we want all bugs to get - that is, someone has written a series of steps you can reliably take to cause the bug to happen, and that's where you can really help the dev team, as being able to cause the bug to happen makes it much easier for them to fix.

Green will be for any bugs that the dev team claims to have fixed for the next build. (Bugs that are confirmed fixed when the next build comes out will be removed).

General / Configuration

Game does not work in Windowed mode

Memory dump error happens in various places.

Geoscape

- Crash to Desktop

Loading saves that have UFO crash sites causes a CTD.

Saving while an alien base is on the map causes CTD. 2 Workaround!

Loading a save from in-game causes CTD, but loading same save from intro screen is fine.

Alien assault on Xenonaut base causes CTD.

2nd air combat before reloading / refueling causes CTD

- UFOs / Aircraft

Simultaneous intercepts can cause multiple simultaneous combats to occur. 2 3 4

Finishing a ground mission reports UFO has escaped.

2nd air combat reports UFO has escaped.

After loading save, UFO position changes

Sending fighters to intercept a point on the map doesn't set patrol

Can't use hyphen when renaming planes.

Unable to redirect chinook to a terror site.

- Save Games

Cannot overwrite save games.

CTD Corrupts save games

Corporal training cancelled on loading game.

- Geography

Tasmania and other islands are not present on geoscape.

- Gameplay

Expenses are deducted before funds are added each month. 2

Unable to engage in terror missions.

Going into another window and returning temporarily disables hotkeys.

Having a UFO and a squadron over each other makes one very difficult to select.

Unable to cancel out of building base.

- Cosmetic Issues

Radar circles appear on mouse cursor.

Base

- Controls

Menu scrollbars do not work

- Personnel

Unable to hire new soldiers 2 Workaround!

Unable to rearrange troopers inside chinook.

Wounded soldiers lose their equipment.

Strange training / savegame interactions 2

Dead soldiers still get paid.

Troops still in chinook unassigned by game, but still in chinook and duplicated when reassigned.

Soldiers heal between missions if chinook does more than one mission on a single flight.

Ghost troopers take up slots in chinook (Workaround - sell the chinook)

Troops duplicated over multiple bases (Dismissing them causes CTD)

- Research

Unable to research first project

Project doesn't behave properly when starting it at a new base.

- Items and Production

Flares appear in stores for free after a night mission and may be sold.

Alien grenade weighs too much.

Troops don't always refill weapon ammo after mission.

Weapons may be duped

Air Combat

- Crash to Desktop

Firing a missile after pressing retreat causes CTD

- Gameplay

Aliens attack whichever aircraft was first selected from the intercept screen

F-17 autocannon not firing in combat.

Ground Combat

- Crash to Desktop

CTD when shooting aliens - especially with 0% hit chance. 2 3 4

CTD when suppressing aliens.

CTD after losing quick battle.

CTD when dropping alien corpse.

CTD Every second ground combat

Machinegunner suicide CTD 2 3 4

Grenading scout generator causes CTD

Completing scout ground mission causes CTD

- Gameplay issues

Combat freezes during alien turn, likely due to alien death from fire. 2

Sometimes you can target tiles with no alien in them.

Alien / soldier walks / shoots through wall / door 2 3 4 5

Odd targeting behavior, stuck in targeting mode

Hit percentage missing or wrong 2

Own troops are suppressed even when it doesn't make sense.

Soldiers unable to walk through destroyed door

Unconscious units generate an additional corpse.

Alien located in unreachable tile.

Alien located in Generator

Odd behavior of windows in quick terror mission.

Clicking on the Burst Fire icon often does not work (press 'b' instead)

Route finding in stairs took too many APs.

Aliens escape from base assault.

Concrete cover on industrial scout map not correctly showing cover.

Grenades during night mission invisible, difficult to select.

AP Rocket can be fired through scout hull

Machinegun reaction fires single-shots for no AP.

Unable to save game during ground mission.

In alien base, rocket shoots only AP missiles.

Knocking alien unconscious causes UFO to not be captured on victory screen.

- Map Issues

Some terror maps have no buildings (Workaround included)

- Cosmetic Issues

Barricade Clipping Issues 2

Androns use Ceserean death sprites

Female soldiers use male voices

Morale bar for soldier 12 too far right.

All missions show default 'UFO has crashed' screen, even landed UFOs and terror missions.

Suppression marker visible even if alien is not.

Alien weapon on ground uses M-16 graphic.

Crouching while moving causes a constant walking sound. 2

Alien corpses visible in the fog of war.

0% hit chance sometimes displayed but inaccurate.

Invisible Aliens

Heavily damaged scout shows intact power source, but game treats power source as destroyed.

We got stickied! Thanks Matthew!

I'll be trying to update this thread at least once a day, but I do have a job and other obligations, so don't fret if your bug doesn't get added mere hours after you post it.

Edited by Comassion

Latest bugs have been updated, a few confirmed.

Spinal - 'known issues' go here as well as new bugs. One of the main purposes of this thread is so that we're cataloging all known issues to cut down on the number of repeat bug reports, and to help direct people to expand on an existing bug thread rather than constantly submit new ones (that way all the aggregate information on a bug is in the same place).

Comassion, you sexy man you. Thank you for doing this thread.

You're welcome! It's more work than I anticipated it would be (it cuts into my own Xenonauts play time!), but I'm keeping up with it, and it's good to know that people appreciate it.

what I meant was that "soldiers unable to walk through destroyed doors" is red (unconfirmed) when it should be confirmed and repeatable

Ah, I understand. I'm changing it to 'confirmed' for now - bugs don't get a 'repeatable' status until I see actual replication steps posted for them, and in most cases I go through those steps myself to verify that they work before I mark them repeatable. In the case of the door bug, I've been able to walk through destroyed doors, so it doesn't happen all the time - I need to know how exactly I should destroy a door to trigger this effect (maybe it's tied to a specific map or weapon). If someone posts replication steps to the door bug thread, I'll try 'em out (or if I get to the bug during my own testing maybe I'll find them myself, but there's a lot of bugs out there at the moment.)

The importance of getting bugs to a 'repeatable' status with replication steps is because it makes it much, much easier for the dev team to track down the cause of the bug. If they try to address the door bug without knowing exactly how it's caused, they'll spend potentially hours figuring out how to get it to happen. Since we have a build of the game, we usually have enough tools at our disposal to figure that part out for them (or at least get closer to it), so if we do so, we save them time. Thus, replication steps are required before a bug gets marked 'repeatable', even for 'known issues'.

Edited by Comassion

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all your effort Comassion! Anything specific we can do to help? I assume telling in this thread that one of the topics mentioned can change status (eg "point x is now repeatable, link here")?

To the point: For the odd chinook behaviour bug (unable to load troops into it) I have a savegame that loads right into the situation. Mentioned here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2454-unassigning-a-trooper-from-dropship-drops-hes-primary-weapon?p=30297#post30297

Might be handy to mention the availability of saves for a bug in your list as well? Could help Matthew.

This save also has a New York terror mission. I thought saving with present on-map missions crashes the savegame.

I see there are a lot of bugs still listed as unrepeatable. At the moment, it takes up quite some time to start a fresh game, build up forces and income, to get to 2 bases and enough cash to simulate situations. Is there a way to get a lot of starting cash immediately?

This could make repeating bugs a lot easier, coming down to "start game, build base A and building G H I, build base B and building J K L, fast forward 10 days, recruit 8 soldiers, move them to base B, bug scenario #22 is now applicable".

Advisable to only be used for repeatability hunting, as bugs in normal paced gameplay may go unnoticed this way.

• 6 months later...

After returning to the Geoscape from a Combat mission my 2 interceptors that had not returned to base before going on the combat mission are now gone off the map and when I attempt to send them out on another intercept mission they are greyed out and it says that their status is Airborne even though they are nowhere to be found.

EDIT: when another ufo appeared on the geoscape it let me send the squadron back to my base. they never appeared back on the map but are now available to intercept again.

Edited by Neonpanzer
Resolved itself

Where is the best place to report bugs like these as I come across them? i tried searching the forums for a similar topic but wasnt sure which one was the best place to report as i didnt want to post it somewhere obscure and not have it get the proper attention it may or may not deserve.

Goldhawk wants all the bugs in their individual topics/threads. You shouldn't post them in any thread similar to this one.

Search the bug report forum to see if anyone else reported the bug before you and post in their thread if there is.

If noone has reported it yet or if you can't find their thread make a new thread with the build version number, the part of the game the bug is related to (geoscape, ground battle, base view or which ever) and a short description of the bug in the topic line.

Here read this post here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/741-The-Bug-Reporting-Process-%2A%28Updated-17-Jan-2012%29%2A

It is a lot more informative then mine.

PS: you have already done it properly once.

Edited by Gorlom

• 1 month later...

The missing animations and so on will be covered in the beta forum from now on I imagine.

This thread is also outdated so will be losing its sticky status, although I won't delete it in case anyone decides they would like a reminder of how much the game has improved over time ;)