Best positioning for bases.

I was watching

again when I realised just how much of an idiot I was when I was placing my inital base. I had been working along my old X-Com lines, putting the base in europe as that was smack dab where I had always put it. But watching the video again I realised that a) the territories are completely different and b) exactly why was I covering so much sea? I get exactly nothing for shooting down a ufo over the sea. So I had a re-think. Perhaps the first inital base is best placed in or close to where alpacapatrol places his - on the "bridge" of land linking the middle east territory to the africa territory. That then covers middle east, europe and a big wedge of soviet, indochina and both africa territories. Having a further thought, I think the second base must go to the americas, with three other territories that otherwise go uncovered. The question is, is it better to put the second base in central america, so it sort-of covers the other two territories and is a good central position if a terror site happens, or is it better to cover either north or south america, and work towards another base (fairly quickly) to give better overall coverage?

from what i get from posts on the forums budgets is realy tight as it is so i guess you realy need to place as few bases as posible but the base you put need to caver as much as posible

so i think this will be what i will try to do putt my start base at the europe-soviet border (pretty low so i cover a decent chunk of africa as well)

my 2nd base would be on the litle area that conects N-americ with S- america you cover maybe alot of sea but i think that is the best place to cover both sides and the last base should be place around asia covering australia

sorry long ^post and this probely isnt the best of strategies but this is how i will try it out if i get the game

One of the best starting positions is the Middle East. I tend to plonk my first base somewhere around Egypt, Sinai Desert, as from there you can cover for the most part 4 different regions (Europe, North Africa, Middle East and Russia (Except Siberia)) and has one of the largest land to sea ratio, then I place my second base in Hong Kong or an area around the South China Seas (Siberia, Indochina, Phillipines, Australia), then my 3rd base either North Mexico or Florida (North America, Mexico, North tip of South America), then I place a base in South America.

You don't actually get 'nothing' for smoking a UFO over the sea. The game looks at where the UFO went down, decides which funding-bloc those waters belong to, and increments the appropriate bloc's loyalty/funding. Granted, profit-wise it doesn't compare to looting a crash-site on land, but with the number of alien fighters that are spawning in the current build, you can really pump up your numbers in high-traffic areas. At one point in one game, I'd taken so many fighters out of North American airspace that my support rating from them was projected to increase by ~22% in one month, despite all the strafing attacks those fighters had made across Alaska/Canada/the Continental 48 and their territorial waters before I nailed 'em.

...and what are you guys buying for your second base? Someone on here recommended building the 2nd base right away, since you're probably not going to have much in the way of disposable funds for a long time after the game starts.

So I've started a couple of game where I build a new base ($1 M for command center) 2 hangars ($600,000) living quarters, a radar, and a storage area. I think that's about it. Without purchasing anything to actually go in the base, and without even buying any stuff at my starting base (no more hangars or MiGs) I'm already running a deficit by the end of the first month.

Suggestions?

...and what are you guys buying for your second base? Someone on here recommended building the 2nd base right away, since you're probably not going to have much in the way of disposable funds for a long time after the game starts.

So I've started a couple of game where I build a new base ($1 M for command center) 2 hangars ($600,000) living quarters, a radar, and a storage area. I think that's about it. Without purchasing anything to actually go in the base, and without even buying any stuff at my starting base (no more hangars or MiGs) I'm already running a deficit by the end of the first month.

Suggestions?

Honestly, all your second base needs is 2-3 hangars and a radar. Just shooting down the UFOs is enough to get positive relations with the surrounding region(s), spending more for Chinook support is a waste early game (IMO). I've played several Air Defence games where I don't do ground assaults at all, and it isn't hard to have 3 bases running by the end of second month.

Once the hangars in the second base are complete, you can transfer one of your original F-17s to it, and start building a MIG at home. I usually send that MIG to the second base right away, and start building another MIG. When the new month hits, you can start working on 3rd base, again, just a couple of hangars and a radar. This should stop most of the areas from reducing their funding, and start increasing it instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Very similar to others here.

I set my first base in the middle east, then immediately build a second base in central america. The second base is a 2 radar 2 hangar base only until a while into the game when I can afford to expand it out (as I build the third 2 radar 2/3 hangar base across from taiwan). I find having an early interception base helps keep funding up, though that might decrease in utility if we get some random earth air force bases helping out for the first few months.

yeah, I usually build my first base in cyprus, or whatever the most south-eastern point in europe is.

The second base gets put in the most western part of central america, so the dotted outline covers all of the north american sector, except Greenland.

Equipment in the second base is radar tower, hangar, living quarters and storing facility.

When the first hangar is done, I build another next to it. When that is done, I build another hangar, and attach a Chinook, as the one in my european base probably cannot get to a crash/terror site in america.

And of course, two radar bases in each base

I've found funding usually reacts a little bit better if I go for an asian radar/hangar base then upgrade the american one to have living quarters, store, extra hangar later due to increased interecption range, but it does feel frustrating to see those crash sites laying around unreachable. I do the same F17 / MiG shuffle with populating new hangars as well.

The full second base is probably a bit more enjoyable, two radar bases a bit more efficient. :)

Hello,

I ususaly start with three bases... alpha is the first base ya given. I put it on area where the radar range is barely touching the northwestern europe coast.. I use area around fertile crescent (that is malta/turkey/Iran/southern russia.)

The second base, I usually locating at yucutan (sp?) pennisula. that is the land jutting out of the central america into Gulf of Mexico bay. That gives the most optimal land coverage (and of course the wasted area.. sea). I prefer that base to have two hangars, and radar. (later 2nd radar when fundings come in).

the third base... is somewhere indiochina area... have not found optimal area yet. however is equipped with one hangar and one radar. not enough funding to put either 2nd hangar or a 3rd mig there on first month. so left base to one hangar... and when funding increases... it will get second hangar (and third mig).

when the 2nd/3rd base completes... I usually install spare aircrafts there. at that time the mig research should be almost or already complete, immediate hire 5 extra workers, manufacture 2 migs (first stays at 1st base, thus can use chinook to collect extras). the 2nd mig go to 2nd base, using it for "shoot-interception'. I noticed ufos dont cause harm while being shadowed by any of our aircrafts, so those big ufo... better off shadow than shoot until you have more funding aircrafts.

R

Edited by rynait

Back in X-COM, I'd always stick my starting base in Switzerland (you know, in case the Aliens respect human neutrality) for teh lulz.

Because I can actually see the blasted radar ranges, I've been placing base #1 in Northern Egypt for the best coverage in the larger continents, and one generally around the Cheyenne Mountain complex that houses the US NORAD defense system, because I always love to imagine that the Xenonauts are also StarGate Command.

hmmm...wasn't this in some fanfiction I read somewhere...?

Back in X-COM, I'd always stick my starting base in Switzerland (you know, in case the Aliens respect human neutrality) for teh lulz.

Because I can actually see the blasted radar ranges, I've been placing base #1 in Northern Egypt for the best coverage in the larger continents, and one generally around the Cheyenne Mountain complex that houses the US NORAD defense system, because I always love to imagine that the Xenonauts are also StarGate Command.

hmmm...wasn't this in some fanfiction I read somewhere...?

XSGCOM: Goa'uld Defence and its sequel XSGCOM: Terra from the Deep, by Hotpoint.
That is roughly where I put my first base, even back in X-Com. Fun fact: It's also roughly where the main headquarters for Rainbow Six are located in the books, for about the exact same reason.

~Dudeman Jones

:confused: You might want to re-read the book, mate: Rainbow Six was based at Hereford in the UK. (It's on the border between England and Wales.)