Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

Nuke It From Orbit! Corporal Hicks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzles View Post
    LOL, this is great!

But seriously guys, sometimes we just have to "go with it", for the sake of fun, it's science FICTION.

I know some things are really retarded, but it is like this in all movies.

Same thing here with Xenonauts, the Realism x Gameplay debate.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/06/...12-prometheus/
    Just watch this^
    and you'l understand why i'm generally disappointed with Corporal Hicks. This vid is about 70% identical to my thoughts on prometheus.

But seriously guys, sometimes we just have to "go with it", for the sake of fun, it's science FICTION.

I know some things are really retarded, but it is like this in all movies.
    It is called suspention of disbelief. It does not excuse shitty scripts.
    The notion of the enemys not attacking with all their forces at once in xenonauts is explained, and suspention of disbelief allows us to accept that in order foe the games story to work. <-- suspention of disbelief works
    If the notion of the enemys not attacking with all their forces at once in xenonauts would have been explained with: "The more powerful aliens are too busy having a massive orgy in orbit". We would just dismiss the script as rubbish. <-- suspention of disbelief does not kick in because there is nothing feasible to support it, and thus suspention of disbelief can't save the script. Aka you can't just "roll with it". See how it works?
    Last edited by GoodGuyEddy; 06-18-2012 at 12:03.

I didn't really like it, to be honest. It felt like they made the movie to be AWESUM rather than try tell a coherant story".

It's like they decided to make the movie, and then wrote a bunch of sceans that would be cool and string them together, instead of writing a story, deciding on making the movie, and then creating the sceans..... Ya know?

Count me as another who thought it was stupid. I went in with high hopes and came out really disappointed - as did most of the people who saw it in the theater with me, judging from the laughter at the final scene.

** SPOILERS ** (though this thread has already turned spoiler-y)
    ** SPOILERS **
    ** SPOILERS **

Most of my points have been made above but, at root, my issue is that suspension of disbelief doesn't mean acceptance of people doing stupid things. As has been argued many times here in one thread or another, if you were dealing with aliens, first contact, etc., you would send the best of the best. If you were spending a trillion dollars, you would also train those people and organize them and have some semblance of a plan, not have _one_ guy on security with a gun and let the scientist tell him, "nah, stay inside the ship, we don't need security." Other examples are biologist guy with the snake thing, the captain being all "I'll personally lead this rescue team this time" and later "hey, the dead guy's suit is right outside our ship. Let's open the door" (seriously, in 2093, no one has watched the past 100 years of horror movies?) and, for that matter, mapping scientist guy with his fancy mapping drones... getting lost on his way out? Really, seriously, you don't have a way to jack into that map YOU JUST CREATED? Spent a trillion and fifty dollars and get that mapping software package next time.

I could go on but, again... just don't be stupid. I'll believe that aliens exist, that the universe works the way you say it does, etc., etc. - that's the beauty of science fiction and why I love the genre. You can make up crazy stuff and explore ideas - and even put our heroes into some really bad situations - because you control the rules. Just don't insult me by making people do totally stupid stuff that most of us wouldn't do, let alone supposedly Earth's best and brighest. Make up a tough situation, show people doing everything they can against it and still coming up short. That resonantes a whole lot more than any of the silliness in this movie. Removing your helmets, really, seriously?

Also, random Q: why did all the cave paintings paint them to this particular star system? The implication was that the planet ended up being either a military depot/factory and/or a crash site where the Engineers got stuck and killed. Why did they leave all these signs to come meet them there (back in the day, presumably before they planned to visit us with the black good)? Why wouldn't they have pointed the way to one of their civilized planets? Was the plan to just have us meet up on the barren moon planet in case we were trouble and then if we were worth it, they'd take us closer to the heart of their civilization? I guess I'd buy that - was that your take on it?

-Kilrathi

I think this movie is one of those love it or hate it things...

I enjoyed the movie, even with those stupid things, I think itīs a solid sci-fi movie. Iīm really looking foward to the sequel, really curious about what Shaw and DAvid gonna do when they reach the engineers homeworld.

IF they have done everything "right" (being cautious, taking armed man, a military scort ship, etc...) then the movie would be boring, no one would die, there would be no action, it would be like a documentary.

Come on, the ALIENS script is really dumb, and this doesnīt make it a bad movie, in fact itīs one of my favorites.

In ALIEN, the astronaut kneels over the pulsating egg, sticks his head when the damn thing opens... really stupid. They showed the engineer fossilized on that chair, wich didnīt contribute nothing to the plot and only arose questions wich were only answered nowadays.

Colonel
    I disagree with you on a couple of points:

Alien was good plotwise, certainly not stupid with having the crew having to deal with an unforseen event, the fallout from it, and the eventual realisation they'd been sold out by their employers and had a traitor onboard (Ash).

Yes, Kane playing around with the eggs wasn't the brightest of ideas on a decision front, but it wasn't a stupid part of the plot. The man was a space trucker who'd been diverted to explore this wreck by his employers on the proviso if he didn't he wouldn't get paid, also, he wouldn't have had a bloody clue as to what they were and his curiosity got the better of him.

Aliens was simple (investigation goes wrong -> escape) but it wasn't dumb: seasoned Marines dealing with a new and green CO, over confidence and disbelief of warnings, Burke trying to screw them over etc. It also had top notch characters who importantly, handled the situation evolving around them in a sort of realistic way. Aliens infact, did it "right". They still died, rather horribly, and it's a bloody great film.

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discu...9-engineers/p1

There's some leaked images from the deleted scenes here, from the beggining of the movie, worth checking out!

Quote Originally Posted by IceVamp View Post
    Haven't caught it yet sadly.
    As I understood it, it's supposed to happen in between Aliens and Alien 3 timeline wise?
    actually before alien. the "beacon" warning signal was a match, thus the clue. Also I checked the Alien producer, is the same person producing prometheus.

I only say. for the sake of discussion...

A) close to ending, we know there is a "life boat" running. and in Alien movie, where is it?? wouldn't (I forget the name of the miner ship) detect that lifeboat first, not the horse-shoe ship? hey remember the beacon message, sounded the same as the ending of prometheus.

B) in that prometheus, that 'bad robotti' (not using his name, nuff said) said there are few ships... (what the F*^%$), in the second alien movie storyline... they built a nuclear power reactor down there and what about the other few??? clearly worst disconnect here.

C) if they went off in search for the original "creator"... would there be a second sequel (prior to alien) maybe creators attempt to clean up the mess?? (this assumption will make alien the 3rd sequel)

D) remember star wars sequel being out of whack trick... this is the vibe i am getting.

E) finally, someone need to rewatch alien movie... is Weyland Corporation owner of that mining ship??