Proposed Suppression Model

You may want to throw a flashbang near your own troops or civilians.

Making them blind and a bit groggy has to be better than filling them with shrapnel.

Purely for game balance though having a weapon that does decent damage, ignores cover, causes high suppression, can be used by any trooper in large numbers, and can affect multiple enemies all seems a bit much.

At least if you have to decide between damage or suppression then at least there is a place for other weapons :P

Okay sweet, I use hand grenades a lot.

I've been using flashbang's a bit too. I plan to test them on soldiers who are panicking or under mind control. Maybe a flashbang in the face will help snap my soldier back into reality after getting MC. I'm gonna test it out first chance I get.

Edited by HoboRed

well they should both suppress the target the same but a grenade is meant to kill, kill range of 5 meters, wound range of 15, flash bang takes you out of the fight but is used to keep someone down so you can grab em...

for example if you have a stun rod, you dont run up to a armed alien and stun him...you would get shot, you flash bang him till hes all "WTF!", then run up and stun him.

if you use a grenade you could stun the little pieces of him that are left...but thats not gona help if you want a live alien....unless he has very ...VERY bad @$$ armor and then he still may bleed to death

Each weapon its job, each alien its grave : )

well they should both suppress the target the same but a grenade is meant to kill, kill range of 5 meters, wound range of 15, flash bang takes you out of the fight but is used to keep someone down so you can grab em...

for example if you have a stun rod, you dont run up to a armed alien and stun him...you would get shot, you flash bang him till hes all "WTF!", then run up and stun him.

if you use a grenade you could stun the little pieces of him that are left...but thats not gona help if you want a live alien....unless he has very ...VERY bad @$$ armor and then he still may bleed to death

Each weapon its job, each alien its grave : )

Are these HE grenades or frag grenades?

• 6 months later...
(Note Goldhawk is using a game engine that was not designed by them which causes them to struggle quite a bit with a few things. The team that created the engine doesn't respond to Goldhawk so they can't do any changes to it without fear of legal repercussions.)

Goldhawk Interactive obviously has a legal licensed copy of the game engine. Just because PlayRight decided to stop distributing the Playmaker 5 (P5) engine does not mean that G.I. is in any danger of legal repercussions from altering their copy of P5 for this release. The development of Xenonauts on this engine began before PlayRight stopped sharing P5, so G.I. is legally entitled to complete Xenonauts.

Even if the licence agreement specifically states that no alterations can be made without prior permission?

Having permission to use the free version of the software is not the same as having the legal rights to make alterations to said software.

Maybe it is possible that changes could be made but just a little unclear as to the legality, would you risk it?

All of the time and effort that Goldhawk have put into their game could be wasted if it later turned out that they had broken the agreement and playfirst decided to take legal action or prevent the game being published.

I have the rights to use my old copy of windows XP which I picked up before M$ stopped supporting it.

That doesn't mean I am legally entitled to decompile it and make changes to the code before redistributing it for profit.

The team that created the engine doesn't respond to Goldhawk so they can't do any changes to it without fear of legal repercussions.

If you contact a company for permission and they refuse to answer, then that does constitute due diligence. While it does not protect against nuisance lawsuits, it would be simplicity to show that they did not care enough to respond.

Secondly, do you know for a fact that this is the free version? I naturally assumed it was the paid version. Until I know otherwise, I have to assume the latter.

You purchased XP for personal use, while P5 (paid version) was primarily purchased for development. Customization of SDKs for use is baked into their very nature. I would love to see someone try to claim that Dev Kits are perfect and do not need to be altered in any way, in court. ;)

I would never assume a small one man indie dev paid for anything they didn't have to.

I have never seen a version of the playground SDK that you have to pay for, the only time Chris has discussed it he did not specify that he had purchased any access rights.

I would also not assume that the finished product I was spending my own time and money to create would be fine to sell after I had broken the licence agreement on the game engine.

Of course there is a chance, maybe even a good chance that this would be the case.

After giving up his job to work on this project though I can fully understand that Chris may not share your attitude that he should just go for it and hope it works out.

The SDK can indeed be customised to a certain extent but what we are talking about are changes that go beyond the level of customisation intended by the creators and right owners of the SDK.

Would it make any difference if a free licence or purchased licence was used if the alterations to the SDK are not legally yours to make?

Either way by using the software you are agreeing to the restrictions imposed on its use by the right owners.

I would have to believe Chris when he says that he cannot make the alterations rather than a third party who disagrees with him without access to any of the information required to make that decision.