10x the money

Looking around at costs and such, I feel like multiplying many of the existing money amounts by 10 would better bring them in line with the true financial cost of that item - for instance, the MiG would cost 2.5 million instead of 250K, which is still probably on the cheap side, but feels more like the cost for a modern aircraft than 250K does. As for salaries, it's probably fine to be paying employees of this organization exorbitant amounts - you're getting the best of the best.

You could increase the prices by 10x but you would have to increase the income by the same amount or you would never actually be able to replace a downed aircraft.

Then you would also need to balance the weapons and armour for this new income level.

As long as the balance feels right I don't care what the actual prices are.

You could increase the prices by 10x but you would have to increase the income by the same amount or you would never actually be able to replace a downed aircraft.

Then you would also need to balance the weapons and armour for this new income level.

As long as the balance feels right I don't care what the actual prices are.

I'm just saying they should multiply everything by 10, solely on the basis of theme. Income, salaries, costs, all of it. No re-balancing required since the ratio for everything is the same.

Salaries? You think that scientists / engineers / soldiers should be paid $150,000 per month? Admittedly the price of the aircraft is really low but it's difficult to have realistic prices for aircraft and vehicles without reducing the cost of some parts of the game (mostly staff) to effectively negligble values.

This would make the game very hard to balance, unfortunately, which is why the prices are reasonably low across the board.

Salaries? You think that scientists / engineers / soldiers should be paid $150,000 per month?

Yes. These are presumably some of the top scientists / soldiers / engineers on the planet, and not only are they working with alien tech, you're putting them in a base that makes an alien invasion very angry, so this isn't just their salary - there's extreme hazard pay, background checks, medical insurance, cost of living, surveillance, cost and maintenance of their very expensive equipment, tools, and experiments, retirement benefits, and so on and so forth.

In the end, while people might feel that's a little high for 'salaries', I do think it's very odd when all of Europe is contributing less than half a million dollars to a program meant to save the Earth. I'd much rather see them contributing 3 million.

Edited by Comassion

to be fair though, the scientist are also working to prevent the invasion of the planet. If that happens then salaries won't really mean that much. Perhaps they are willing to work for peanuts as a result?

Another idea is that the salary Xenonauts pay them is the hazard part of their wage and the main wage in fact comes from the source funding nation who supplies them in the first place? Perhaps all the scientists come form government agencies and not the private sector. Those who were in the private sector are possibly told in not so polite terms that they're now working for the government and then farmed over to Xenonauts?

so, a few reasons to justify keeping salaries low, but craft costs etc higher

Perhaps all the scientists come form government agencies and not the private sector.

I would imagine they'd come from both.

And no $150,000 is not that much to pay a scientist, especially of the caliber that you'd need for the Xenonauts' labs. I know professional scientists and even government ones get paid more than that.

I always imagined the cost of the planes was the cost of upgrading the donated F-16 to the F-17 variant, which is more in line with reality.

I would imagine they'd come from both.

And no $150,000 is not that much to pay a scientist, especially of the caliber that you'd need for the Xenonauts' labs. I know professional scientists and even government ones get paid more than that.

Per MONTH? As that's what it would be in game.

You can make fluff arguments as to how much things should cost either way. For cheaper, you say that gear and earth-tech are donated by member nations, with the "costs" being retrofitting them for xenonaut use (or transfer costs, paperwork, etc.). For expensive, you argue that they're buying it straight off the market.

I prefer the former, over the latter.