Kickstarter Question

My point is two posts above my last post. so 4 posts up from this.

It's not about the law, but the probability that a farmer has a weapon PLUS is willing to use it against aliens. The difference in laws has an indirect effect on this but isn't directly relevant to if a farmer (that has access to a fire arm and is willing to defend his farm to the last man) will shoot at aliens or not.

I'm not really opposed to tile specific allied forces. I'm just a bit skeptical to the farmers outside of USA. I'd rather have the local army show up.

If anyone can argue that it wouldn't be unlikely, then I'll gladly shut up :P

Ah, I see it now, thanks.

The probability of farmers with shotguns outside the US is quite low, you are right with that. On the other hand, I don't think the game is so strictly realistic (and I'm not talking about the "it's alien invasion, what less realistic do you want?" stuff).

In my opinion, the armed forces should appear only in terror missions, military bases (if these get to the game) and maybe some kinds of indoor missions. Because if your fighter shoots down a ufo, it is usually just a small incident and your group of elite (ahem) soldiers in chinook should be able to get there faster than the army, just because you know about it first... Also the army might be occupied by trying to save their own a**es elsewhere. Hence the army soldiers would be sent only to the greatest threats, like terror missions.

Edited by Shima

Actually, if I met a farmer and he didn't have a shotgun or rifle I'd think it was very strange indeed.

Most people of the previous generation that live close to nature, or more rural areas have shotguns and rifles where I'm from. You need to pass a hunter's test to be able to purchase them. Handguns are very limited though, only gun club members in good standing can get a permit to own one, never carry.

Ah, I see it now, thanks.

The probability of farmers with shotguns outside the US is quite low, you are right with that. On the other hand, I don't think the game is so strictly realistic (and I'm not talking about the "it's alien invasion, what less realistic do you want?" stuff).

No, not really. Even here in the UK with it's very strict gun controls you'll be hard pushed to find a proper farmer without a shotgun.

They're incredibly effective tools for pest control, although in the UK you'd probably find it difficult to find slug rounds unless it's one of the few farms that have a deer herd, you'd mostly get bird shot.

Edited by Buzzles

Betour it's not technically about the law, it's about the culture, availability of weapons to farmers and the social norm to either defend ones property or run for cover. Personally I would feel a bit of immersion breaking going on if I find "Farmers with shotguns"-militia substituting the local armed forces outside of the USA.

I don't know where you are from so I can't really respond to the first paragraph of your post.

America. By the the time I finished typing it, 2 more posts had appeared.

About the whole farmer thing, I know, or hope, that people would be arming themselves if aliens are attacking cities and adupting (wrongly spelt) people. I know that's what I'd do. I'd have pulled out my AK and lay waste to those alien blisters. Oh yay, I went there.

No, not really. Even here in the UK with it's very strict gun controls you'll be hard pushed to find a proper farmer without a shotgun.

They're incredibly effective tools for pest control, although in the UK you'd probably find it difficult to find slug rounds unless it's one of the few farms that have a deer herd, you'd mostly get bird shot.

Well, something is better then nothing. Also remember: David killed Goliath with a smooth rock/pebble from a stream thrown in a sling. something is better then nothing.

P.S. What happened to the beginning of my thread? How'd we get here? Just wandering, not mad.

I'd have pulled out my AK and lay waste to those alien blisters. Oh yay, I went there.

I bet it's more likely that you would have pulled out your AK (wait, what? weren't you American?) and then turned into a smoking pile of plasmabolt residue. :P

P.S. What happened to the beginning of my thread? How'd we get here? Just wandering, not mad.

I was confused by why farmers outside of America would be picking up weapons to fight Aliens. Then in my multiple step plan to make my point I started talking about legal right to defend ones own home to illustrate a difference in culture, and had a bit of trouble getting on to the next step in my reasoning.

Self defense laws are apparently rather interesting to discuss :P

Edited by Gorlom

I know. We just REALLY went off topic. And yes, I'd proably die, but I might take a few with me. Also, that'd be the really world. I'd try aiming better. i.e. If the have armor everywhere but their head, shooot the head. And there's always the croch shot.