Hey there! Sorry if this has already been suggested, but I don't recall seeing it in the FAQ in this sub-forum when I had a look at it. Anyway, I just thought I'd throw the idea of being able to give different members of your team coloured armbands/coveralls out there, in order to help identify the different squads you've deployed, rather than trying to remember based on what weapon they've got, their names, etc. (eg. a red squad, green squad, and the like)

Just a thought! (And sorry again if this has actually been implemented into the game in some way, or has been suggested already)

Anything you add to a sprite means redoing every animation that uses it.

Adding a small red armband involves either manually altering every one of the ten thousand sprites or adding it to the original 3D model and then re rendering, overpainting from the beginning etc.

A symbol hovering over them or an additional pane in UI would do the trick without all the effort.

Adding icons into the otherwise clean battlescape is bit iffy, tho. Adding it to the bottom UI has it's own problems, too.

Chris wants to add a symbol to the troops based on the weapon type they have, assault rifle of any tier, any precision etc.

Don't really know where that would be displayed though, don't think he has implemented it yet in the next version we will see.

Yeah, I also thinking that possibly (as adding an armband/etc. to each frame would be somewhat time-consuming, as you've also stated) a coloured outline/border around their soldier number/icon on the UI (as seen in the TotalBiscuit video on the main site, I believe) would also be an effective - quite likely more effective - means of knowing what squad your soldiers belong to, etc. (probably would be altered via their 'character sheet' in the base view, sort of thing)

But yes, nothing would of course be quick and simple, I'm well aware, but still; this is a suggestions sub-forum after all! :D

Any icon would be tied to the little stat bars and portraits you have above the UI for each soldier, and would probably only appear on mouseover to avoid clutter.
I was going to suggest this when I read the OP. Yeah, a little weapon icon over the stat bars of each soldier would help a lot :) .

Chris, Actually doing arm bands or skin color edits to personnel could be easy if you use a bit mask to indicate what area needs to be overwritten with the new color which could be chosen dynamically.

The engine can't make alterations to sprites on the fly.

Any changes need to be made to the image files themselves.

If the icon was used to define squads then it would need to be visible at all times or you would still not know who was grouped together easily.

I wouldn't mind being able to toggle the icons on all the time anyway though.

Edited by Gauddlike

Instead of showing the icons when hovering the mouse, why not show all the icons (and names) when holding the ALT key or something?
I like this idea.

Yeah, definitely - I recall other games with similar setups, and it's always very handy like that; no clutter unless you want it!

Toggle? TOGGLE??

Yeah not a bad idea.

By Jove... I-I-It's crazy enought that it just might work!

Also, a somewhat late reply to Davoren's callsign comment, but yeah, I will do that if there's no feature similar to what we're discussing here, but well, some sort of colouring scheme/icon/etc. would probably be preferable, I'd say. Either way, good point!

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually thinking about implementing a system similar to what I used playing X-COM - that is manually adding "proficiency badges" to members.

What I did was edit their names with symbols indicating their strong skills and/or utility; fhe ones I used were - marksman, heavy gunner, medic, psionic, psi-resistant.

To be perfectly honest would love to see that as a part of UI in Xenonauts!

PS: First post! Whoop! Still waiting to get my medal from the Kickstarter backing! :D