Hey there, just got a few quick questions.

Firstly, when you research the improved/upgraded MiG, in order to be able to have them, do you upgrade the purchasable MiGs with the added components etc, or do you actually need to build the plane from scratch? (I'd personally prefer the former, as it's most likely essentially just 'field mods' on the plane, from what I've gathered)

Also, on the screenshots on your Kickstarter page, the windows looked to be done slightly differently. (ie. opaque, not transparent) I take it you'll still be able to see and shoot through them just fine, still? On a similar(ish) note, are/will soldiers be hurt by falling off buildings? Since I distinctly recall that the X-COM operatives in the original having incredibly strong legs, and were therefore able to withstand the impact! :D

Finally, are the flares (providing there are flares/glowsticks. I'm not gonna play the demo until I put $160 into the kickstarter next week) like the electromagnetic flares in the original X-COM? As in, are they reusable and permantly activated when thrown? Or are they like the 'emergency flare' typed deal, where they'll burn out after several turns?

Thanks

EDIT: Oh also, not really an issue, but I just looked through the forum award/achievement list (seeing as I just got a notification saying that I got one then) and there's one for referring a friend, which I've done. There looks to be 25 points awarded for referring someone, but the award's prerequisite is that you have more than 25, and I've got exactly 25, so that's slightly odd. (just thought I'd post this in case it hasn't been noted before)

Edited by Major Isoor

I haven't been looking at the research files, but as far as I know, you don't upgrade the MiG. You research a new interceptor early on, and that is the MiG (The one you use from the start is an F-17), and yes you have to build/assemble this as your people do modifications to the original Russian design. (In fact, if you drop by your aircraft equip screen while it's being built, you'll see the different stages of assembly. Pretty snazzy.)

You can still see through windows, and shoot them out and then through them. (I'd prefer a shot went through it on the first go, but hey.)

I don't know about falling. I've never tried to have an operative walk off a roof.. I don't think they can. Someone correct me.

There are flares, you get them on night missions. They work pretty much like the electro flares. I've yet to see one stop functioning after being thrown. As they are free atm, I haven't tried picking one back up, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

More quick questions:

• After I shoot the window of a building out - can I not climb though it, or is that not in game yet?
  • I don't seem to be able to transfer men/aircraft from one base to another, not in or not planned?
  • Aircraft repair seems fast, will this be slowed down in beta/release?
  • I don't like free supplies - will I have to buy ammo, guns etc in beta/release?

Thanks

More quick questions:
  • After I shoot the window of a building out - can I not climb though it, or is that not in game yet?

• I don't seem to be able to transfer men/aircraft from one base to another, not in or not planned?

• Aircraft repair seems fast, will this be slowed down in beta/release?

• I don't like free supplies - will I have to buy ammo, guns etc in beta/release?

Thanks

1) No, you will not be able to climb through windows. You will be able to go through the hole if that entire wall section tile is destroyed though. (Why would you even expect to be able to climb through windows? 0.o)

2) It's in the game and working afaik?

3) No idea. What do you mean by seems fast?

4) No, currently there are no plans to change this in the beta/release afaik. Might be possible to convince goldhawk to change it but not likely.

On windows - I can climb walls, blow-up walls and shoot the glass out of windows, why wouldn't I expect to climb through an open window?

On repairs - My fighters and scout car take damage on missions, but are 100% condition in the blink of an eye. My scout car (8% health) is 100% health before the drop ship is even back to base.

On Xfers - Found it. Thanks.

On buying gear - just seemed odd that I get free gear and ammo. On that same note, it also seems odd that recruited soldiers and personel instantly appear. Remember having to wait a painful few days for new recruits to arrive in X-Com?

Anyways, thank you for the help.

Climb walls? I must have missed that feature. Unless you are talking about vaulting waist high fences and stuff.

I do apologize for the "why would you expect this feature" comment. When I read it I was thinking of the ridiculously small window in industrial tile set which you would quite frankly get stuck in 9 times out of 10 if you tried to squeeze through.

As both the animation for jumping through anything (different from vaulting) is missing and my assumption that it would be difficult to program into the game a difference between a window too small to climb through with ease and a window that a regular size human can pass through it seemed like an odd mechanic to me. Though that's a few too many assumptions on my part. my bad.

Ah yes, instant repairs and new acquisitions of personal are a yet to be properly implemented feature. Those will change in beta/release.

On buying gear - just seemed odd that I get free gear and ammo.

It seems stranger to me that they would charge you for basic equipment that they would have lying around in massive quantities.

"Please, please save us from the alien menace!"

"Oh, you want some guns to help save us? That'll be $700 please."

It seems stranger to me that they would charge you for basic equipment that they would have lying around in massive quantities.

"Please, please save us from the alien menace!"

"Oh, you want some guns to help save us? That'll be $700 please."

This. It makes perfect sense that there'd be some supply and replenishment going on as part of the funding agreements. I don't think any nation would just give you money, they'd offer equipment as well.

The way of the original games made you purchase basic equipment is quite odd, especially considering the globe would be entering the sort of "war economy" that was present in WWI and WWII where governments make their manufacturers help with the war effort.

I think people are fixating on it because there's only one more set of weapons available in the form of Laser weapons, which you don't really get to use in a large number of crashsites before the demo is up, when really later in the game the "free" weapons will probably be rather ineffective.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, on the topic of the free gear - the major powers would all have large stockpiles of their basic equipment and weapons lying around, especially in the period the game is taking place in; and considering that the Xenonauts are a pretty small team and not a regiment of soldiers, the governments wouldn't really be very out-of-pocket at all, by giving you their soon-to-be-obsolete earth weaponry!

As to the window discussion, I'd wager that climbing through them won't be implemented, since for one thing; shooting a window isn't making it instantly safe to climb through, as there's jagged glass still in the window frame, and it would be somewhat impractical to make it a bit safer by knocking those jagged shards of glass out, to make climbing through relatively injury-free. (plus it'd be hard to do the animations and coding for it, naturally! Which would of course be the main reason ;))

Strangely enough I was just having a very similar discussion here.

It is a simple change to make vaulting through open windows and opening them without breaking them possible.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2072-Shooting-out-walls-and-windows?p=26239&viewfull=1#post26239

Not perfectly animated of course as that would take an awful lot of work to tailor animations and windows together.