why nobody creates maps?

mitrida

Personally, I'm waiting until we hit beta and the game is feature complete. I don't want to design maps to have the editor or the requirements change. I'm also waiting for the extra tilesets.

As an aside, I'm thinking about how to add lampost props without designing something that's going to get in the way. I might have to do the opposite and make lamposts chunky so they're not passable tiles until you destroy them.

You know I never even thought about making maps.

It's something I'd love to do especially if the editor was fairly straight forwards to use, having ideas is usually easier for me than implementing them in the first place so need all the help I can get on that front.

I do agree with Buzzles though, probably best to wait till everythings a bit more solid.

I have made a few, they are really easy to do.

Give the level designer a try.

I prefer making the submaps and I am not doing much on it until the tiles are more stable, the spectres aren't quite right on some of them still.

If I gave one of my submaps to someone else without giving them my tile spectres to go with it then some wouldn't work properly.

Plus I have forgotten to back them up twice and lost them to Desura updates :P

If I gave one of my submaps to someone else without giving them my tile spectres to go with it then some wouldn't work properly.

This is actually quite a big problem.

There is a way around, but it's going to require a bit of work from Goldhawk:

The game needs to have a list somewhere of all the tiles+spectres that are official tiles that everyone has (ie, the ones the game will ship with).

With that information you can then make the map editor check the spectres in the current map to see if any are custom tiles. If there are custom tiles in use, then they need to be included in the map (or submap) file itself.

Then it would just be a case of sending the map files around like you'd expect in other games, rather than the maps+images+spectres.

It's could be a lot of work though and definitely something that shouldn't be done until after release in my view.

This is actually quite a big problem.

There is a way around, but it's going to require a bit of work from Goldhawk:

The game needs to have a list somewhere of all the tiles+spectres that are official tiles that everyone has (ie, the ones the game will ship with).

With that information you can then make the map editor check the spectres in the current map to see if any are custom tiles. If there are custom tiles in use, then they need to be included in the map (or submap) file itself.

Then it would just be a case of sending the map files around like you'd expect in other games, rather than the maps+images+spectres.

It's could be a lot of work though and definitely something that shouldn't be done until after release in my view.

It shouldn't be too big a problem once the tiles and spectres are finished.

Well not until someone starts adding their own tiles obviously.

Last time I made a dozen or so submaps (industrial) I fixed all of the spectres I found that weren't positioned, didn't have the damaged/destroyed images, had no sounds etc.

Then I backed up my submaps but forgot to save the fixed spectres.

None of them worked very well afterwards so I deleted them and figured trying later after I had calmed down was a good plan :D