Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hostile Militias / Cult Of Sirius + Aliens Engaging in psychological warfare

Hostile Militias / Cult Of Sirius + Aliens Engaging in psychological warfare

Would it be possible to have countries which are poor (think Africa) or broken down due to the invasion be victim to terror scenarios involving insurgent militias. In these cases, we'd have to fight humans.

Perhaps we could have groups not unlike the Cult Of Sirius in Apocalypse. Such groups could arise through a Stockholm Syndrome type response to aliens taking control of their country. The aliens could be intentionally facilitating such a response through deception and promises of mercy . The aliens could therefore be more intelligent and manipulative waging psychological warfare, instead of just attacking everyone at random. So these human groups would be either "useful idiots" aiding the aliens and h ostile to X Com, or militias / pirates trying to make the most of the chaos.

Thoughts?

Sergeant
    The amount of new content that'd entail would be just silly, and that really isn't the focus of the game anyways, fighting humans. Fighting aliens is.

A mod maybe, but as an official feature, not so much.

It's a good idea, but I believe Chris has his own plans when it comes to parts of the globe who have broken off relations with Xenonauts. It would really need those tileset-specific characters to pull it off, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Caine View Post
    It's a good idea, but I believe Chris has his own plans when it comes to parts of the globe who have broken off relations with Xenonauts. It would really need those tileset-specific characters to pull it off, to be honest.
    Yeah, but if they were there, it probably wouldn't be a long stretch toward fighting hostile humans. If you want that in a game about alien invasion is another matter entirely.

I like the idea of fighting against humans working for the aliens. To nab an idea from the "Mission Types and Secondary Objectives" thread:

"Destroy alien mind-control device causing humans to fight you (once destroyed, the humans could turn into allies)."

If they have access to human gear only then they would be no challenge, if they have access to enough alien tech to make them a challenge then they might as well be an alien.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

ooh a reason to get behind tile specific characters

Quote Originally Posted by Gauddlike View Post
    If they have access to human gear only then they would be no challenge, if they have access to enough alien tech to make them a challenge then they might as well be an alien.
    They'd need alien gear. It would flesh out the game's plot and sense of immersion.

Makes perfect sense you'd have a whole lot of Quislings with a population of billions of humans , specifically in areas that have defected from the X-Com project. I like this idea, definitely something I would love to see as a mod! The mind control explanation is a good one, too -- given we know the aliens have psionic powers, it's not too far-fetched for them to use them to "enslave" humans and use them as slaves, a bit like the Zombie units in the original X-Com game.

If they have access to human gear only then they would be no challenge
    It's not about challenge as much as flavour, diversity and immersion, if you ask me. They could have a mixture of alien and human ordnance. Some would have regular old human weapons -- shotguns and pistols and knives and whatnot -- others would be equipped by gear given to them, or looted from, Xenonauts or aliens.

May I build upon this idea? What about whole nations defecting, on a governmental level, and your forces having to fight hostile fighter jets and military personell?

There should be a secretive shadow government who are selling humans to the aliens in exchange for technology that you have to defeat. You know, as in reality . Part of the campaign is to discover this conspiracy and overthrow the various world governments involved.

Just watched Close Encounters again last night btw, there is a scene from the Special Edition that shows the shadow of a saucer flying over the Richard Dreyfuss character's truck as he races off to try to find them. All around him are cornfields, looking EXACTLY like X-Com maps! The music is very 'X-Com' in that movie, too. Should be used for inspiration.