View Poll Results: Which distro of linux are you using?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ubuntu / Mint

15 50.00%
  • Debian

3 10.00%
  • Arch

6 20.00%
  • CentOS / Red Hat

4 13.33%
  • SUSE

1 3.33%
  • Other

1 3.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Linux do you use?

Exclamation Which Linux do you use?

Let Goldhawk know which Linux distros you want them to support for the game.

If other - post which one!
    Last edited by ko2fan; 05-17-2012 at 22:44.

Can I ask a question? Does Fedora count as Red Hat or shall I choose Other? I personally don't understand why are CentOS / Red Hat (which are seldom used as desktop distros) in the poll and Fedora (which is intended for home use) is not.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Alm View Post
    Can I ask a question? Does Fedora count as Red Hat or shall I choose Other? I personally don't understand why are CentOS / Red Hat (which are seldom used as desktop distros) in the poll and Fedora (which is intended for home use) is not.
    Hi Alm,

I'd probably count Fedora as Red Hat, although it's possible we might want to tweak the poll options later on (not many people use Debian as a desktop either; at least, not sensible people).

I'd ask about Gentoo but I don't know if Xenonauts will support -funroll-loops

Quote Originally Posted by MrPyro View Post
    Hi Alm,

I'd probably count Fedora as Red Hat, although it's possible we might want to tweak the poll options later on (not many people use Debian as a desktop either; at least, not sensible people).

I'd ask about Gentoo but I don't know if Xenonauts will support -funroll-loops
    Well if they were truly sensible people they wouldn't be using Arch either.

I use Arch

In my experience with linux development, linux distributions are similar enough to ignore their differences, unless the game relies heavily on desktop environment specific stuff. Usually you only need to think about a specific distribution when coding except for packaging, and you can always release a distribution-agnostic binary.

Sergeant
    Debian on my linux box. But it doesn't have a screen, a keyboard nor a mouse. Just power and network plugged in.

All of the options are just the Linux's I have experience working with. They also happen to be (IMO) the most common, whether people are using them as a desktop or not.

GNU/Linux Xenonaut
    Debian GNU/Linux.

Also I'd like to add, that I would prefer a real native solution to a wrapper, if that is possible somehow. (e.g. by contacting the Playground SDK people and asking whether they would be willing to participate in porting the code or to contract out a port or to give you the source code for doing the port)

Well, lets count Fedora (and its derivatives) as Red Hat. Although I think the release should be distributive-independent.

Quote Originally Posted by maxztt View Post
    Also I'd like to add, that I would prefer a real native solution to a wrapper, if that is possible somehow. (e.g. by contacting the Playground SDK people and asking whether they would be willing to participate in porting the code or to contract out a port or to give you the source code for doing the port)
    I would also prefer a native solution, but after a quick search at the Playground forums they don't seem interested on creating a Linux port. Asking anyways wouldn't hurt, though