Build V8 Delayed to Monday, split in half

Unfortunately, all you guys waiting for Build V8 will have to wait an extra day. There's not enough man hours in the weekend to get all the updated animations in the game and also redo the terrain maps to cate for multiple possible spawn points (plus come up with at least one alternate version of each sub-map to show how the level can be randomised).

This means I'll upload V8 tomorrow. We've got all the basic rendering done but just need to add it into the game.

Unfortunately, V8 will not contain a research tree. As is frequently the way, my internal testing revealed a couple of issues with the way the Research works (such as it doesn't automatically open the Xenopedia page when a research project is finished) and we need to fix them. Another problem is that the stores are not recognising manufactured armour correctly either, so as soon as is is researched it is available in unlimited quantities. We need to fix these up.

There's also sprite problems, as the previous builds only featured the two starting armour types using the starting weapons. The new research tree contains laser weapons and the first manufactured armour, so the available weapon types goes up by 5 and there's an extra armour type. This actually means about 20-25 new spritesheets need to be added, and my PC isn't fast enough to render all the sprites out in time. Hopefully it'll be done by Friday and we can release V8.1 with the research tree on Friday. Even if a couple of weapon / sprite combinations are missing, it won't be the end of the world.

So yeah, sorry about that. Can't be helped though unfortunately.

Unfortunately, all you guys waiting for Build V8 will have to wait an extra day. There's not enough man hours in the weekend to get all the updated animations in the game and also redo the terrain maps to cate for multiple possible spawn points (plus come up with at least one alternate version of each sub-map to show how the level can be randomised).

This means I'll upload V8 tomorrow. We've got all the basic rendering done but just need to add it into the game.

Unfortunately, V8 will not contain a research tree. As is frequently the way, my internal testing revealed a couple of issues with the way the Research works (such as it doesn't automatically open the Xenopedia page when a research project is finished) and we need to fix them. Another problem is that the stores are not recognising manufactured armour correctly either, so as soon as is is researched it is available in unlimited quantities. We need to fix these up.

There's also sprite problems, as the previous builds only featured the two starting armour types using the starting weapons. The new research tree contains laser weapons and the first manufactured armour, so the available weapon types goes up by 5 and there's an extra armour type. This actually means about 20-25 new spritesheets need to be added, and my PC isn't fast enough to render all the sprites out in time. Hopefully it'll be done by Friday and we can release V8.1 with the research tree on Friday. Even if a couple of weapon / sprite combinations are missing, it won't be the end of the world.

So yeah, sorry about that. Can't be helped though unfortunately.

I'm actually kind of glad it won't be released tonight - I'd have to get out of bed to play it now, haha.

So Chris - I'm guessing UFO tiles are not going to be present? Will we see them in 8.1 or is that wishful thinking? :)

No, we won't see them in V8.1 as they're quite tough to do. We've started to block out the interior ship layouts now, but they'll still look like increasingly elaborate alien factories. We are working on the tiles, but they're quite tough and we're still figuring out the most efficient way to do them.

I would assume that Chris is wasting time eating and sleeping. True dedicated programmers refrain from eating, sleeping and having sex until the job is done. :)

Hey hey Ive eaten while I programmed! Energy drinks count as food right?

All things aside cant wait, thinking of doing a mini LP on bay12 to show the guys there the combat.

Need either a robotic arm or an assistant that is feeding you so you can save the time of reaching for it! As well as a built in toilet in your chair.. Efficiency!

Or just work at a normal pace like a normal person and not kill yourself in the process and probably put out higher quality stuff :)

Let me also add that taking a bit longer to get the build out to ensure it's all good is MUCH better then trying to rush something out by cutting corners.

Edited by raidsoft

As well as a built in toilet in your chair.. Efficiency!

You mean most programmers don't have a toilet as their throne of programming? Tell me it isn't so!

My dreams of one day sitting aloft a shiny white throne, pants dangling around my ankles, fingers fluttering over the keyboard, creating a masterpiece which hundreds of thousands will play cannot be lie! =p

This was a triumph.

Im making a note here: huge success.

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Aperture science

We do what we must

Because we can

For the good of all of us.

Except the ones who are dead.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake.

You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

^my thoughts on this :D

Well making games it's time consuming... so whats 1 day delay?!... XCOM just got a full fiscal year :rolleyes:

Xenonauts pre-release code delayed 24 hours

Summary of developer's statement to public: Profuse apologies and rational explanation of the reasons for the delay and what we can expect, when.

XCOM delayed one fiscal year

Summary of developer's statement to public: "lol, idk"