Now I know this may not be popular with everyone, but two of the things I miss from X-COM were the Saving Private Ryan and grindhouse moments, where you either got nuked to hell walking out of the dropship, or a Chryssalid would creep into your ship on the 2nd turn and proceed to slaughter the entire crew in 3 turns. It's unbalanced, frustrating and unnecessarily punishing - and that's why it creates such lulz for smug players. I love it because, while it almost guarantees an instant loss in the early game, it tells a story of its own. People are likely to load the saved game again, but regardless it's one of those things where you just excitedly tell your friends about. It makes the game even more special.

Perhaps this can be implemented into the harder difficulties, or put up as an option like Iron Man Mode?

Edited by udm

I suppose he wants it as a quirk as you are supposed to be able to reload and bypass it?

Think he wants to force a situation that ends up on the "Murphy's laws"-list.

"If there are reapers spawning in the mission they will spawn inside your chinook and rape your soldiers."

Quirk of the AI, sorry I wasn't clear. @Gorlom: right, you know how sometimes shit happens in spite of all that planning? When Murphy's Law decides to play its hand, and there's little you can do about it but panic? It also prevents players in Iron Man Mode - most of whom should be very experienced players - from getting too cocky ;)

I'd read somewhere that Chris had decided to impose a minimum distance on enemy troops from the dropship, that's why I made this suggestion, but I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

It did promote some very tactical thinking. It taught me how to use smoke grenades and move slowly. On the other hand it was incredibly annoying, so whilst I share the nostalgia, I'm going to have to vote against the proposed resurrection of this particular feature. :D

X-Com: It abused the gamer but never disrespected them.

While I recall some pretty scary moments blasting Cryssalids away from around the landing zone, I don;t think I ever had one get up the ramp. Mainly as I was so panicky around them I suppose. I don;t recall the chain reaction of chrysalid/zombie creation getting horribly out of hand - a few real scares though.

OP is right in that these are the things that stick in your mind, and something should be possible. But I agree with a minimum spawning area - with the potential to be overwhelmed as a possibility.

It's just random placement of aliens. I'm sick and tired of finding half of them holed up in the UFO every time, btw, guaranteeing casualties unless I can blast the crap out of the walls they are standing beside. Armour piercing shells should punch holes in ufo walls.

As you can see in the terror sites, even with the spawning exclusion zone you frequently take losses just stepping off the Chinook. Also, a fair portion of the aliens deliberately spawn inside the crashed UFO every time. That's what they're trying to defend, why would they leave it?

As you can see in the terror sites, even with the spawning exclusion zone you frequently take losses just stepping off the Chinook. Also, a fair portion of the aliens deliberately spawn inside the crashed UFO every time. That's what they're trying to defend, why would they leave it?

They boobytrapped it with proximity grenades?