Kickstarter tier revamp?

The problem with scientists/engineers is that they really have no personalities (except for the lead guys on the UI). They are only present as numbers and financial expenses so having one named after yourself is not very satisfying. Even if you add names to the "research completed" screen you can't really tie an individual name to a specific scientist.

Yes, I understand the namelessness of support personnel. I mentioned that the only thing that can be done without mayor code change is changing research completed screen. But that can be enough maybe? If that screen says that one of the working scientists on the base has my name, I will sure protect that base with all the forces I have. And that touches the dreams of the people: many are working as engineers or something like scientists and the future of working for xenonauts is more convincing than fighting with xenos personally :-).

And that's very consistent with backers nature - we are supporting Xenonauts, just like engineers and scientists in the game :-).

Anyway, don't get me wrong: I am not pushing anything. If you see that as something not needed, you can be totally right. I am not great at marketing and don't have s special education. I only want Xenonauts to be good descendant of UFO :-).

It's mentioned at the front page but maybe it could be emphasized more. Everyone at the 30$ level and beyond will get to the novella but, yeah, it should be mentioned in the reward descriptions. I'm sure Chris will get to it eventually, the poor guy. :P

No. I mean that the backer's name should be included in the text of the novella, and so it can become famous. I totally understand that's limiting the creative process of novella writing, but I think can be a limited pledge valuable for some backers.

Yep I think the price points for the tiers are set too low across the board. $50 for a boxed deluxe edition copy is less than I'd ask, since there is supposed to be no boxed version at all. I'd go for 60-75 if it includes all the other rewards.

Then again I wouldn't even offer a cheap "normal" boxed version at all. I'd only offer a premium collector's edition one with something actually special in it and put the price tag way higher.

Could "Have your own home city/town be among terror sites!" work as pledge reward? I mean, all cities in terror mission look the same anyway so you would just have to add new dots to map on spots which previously didn't have spots. Or would that unbalance the game?

It's nearly at $75,000 - maybe a quick update on the Kickstarter site once that goal is achieved? I think people like that sort of communication and the feeling of excitement - the update could mention the cool stuff about this cool, what's up next and why that's cool too and ask people to help spread the word to make the game better for everyone. Maybe mention that you're considering some new and exciting reward tiers, too, so stay tuned... (just that sort of general sales-y stuff - keep people interested and excited and thinking of new ways to publicize the drive).

True, it's not a MASSIVE gain, but it's still enough to make it worthwhile, I think. I also think the $50 price point will have a lot more takers than $60, although I'm basing that on no real facts. I just think it'll have more chance of getting $20 / $30 people to pledge up to $50 than basically double their pledge.

Chris, sounds like you've thought through the options. All I would say is that a $50 level would grant

• a DVD copy of the game, digital copy of the game(?), a copy of the Novelette on the Iceland Incident, gold forum medal, a digital copy of the Xenonauts soundtrack, official desktop wallpapers, plus a lengthy digital write-up of our development diary

This sounds pretty bloody brilliant to me. Not sure if leaves you very far you can then go to tempt people to higher tiers.

Relative uptake of people for a $60 vs $50 level is a difficult call. Personally I think the two entry levels have far more stuff for $ than any of the other Kickstarters. Higher tiers are not all a cost vs benifit assessment for backers, but rather a nice thank you for supporting a project that we'd all love to see made.

You are aware of the upcoming GUI redesign, though, are you not?

If I came here everyday to read every post I would probably know that. If I were paid to beta test the game I would probably know that. If a public roadmap were available I would probably know that.

Unfortunately, none of this is true. And since I can't repress my will to help this project, I guess I'll come here every now and then and report anything that bugs me. Sorry for the trouble :P

If I came here everyday to read every post I would probably know that. If I were paid to beta test the game I would probably know that. If a public roadmap were available I would probably know that.
I thought it was on the main page on the kickstarter from the beginning? there should be a link to the new research GUI with a researcher in the middle fo the picture.

Unfortunately, none of this is true. And since I can't repress my will to help this project, I guess I'll come here every now and then and report anything that bugs me. Sorry for the trouble :P

Feel free, it's no trouble at all. We will gladly discuss anything you can come up with. :D

I meant no disrespect whatsoever and merely wanted to point out that, in case you weren't aware, this particular concern of yours will be addressed further down the road: have a look at Kickstarter Update #4.