Terror Mission Damage

Was looking at the thread on the best way to do building collapses and though, Why not have some damage done to the surrounding area during terror missions (or the xenonauts equivalant). Basically what I'm thinking is before you arrive, the aliens have been doing their thing, and battling local forces, because of this, it would make sense to, uppon arriving, find walls blow out, partial building collapses, etc. After all it's a warzone long before the Chinook ever graces the skies.

I think that would be good, especially if the amount of damage increased the longer it took the squad to get there.

Though I don't tons of destruction are needed for it to be a terror mission. I think it would be far more disturbing to find the place in immaculate condition, but all the townspeople in the town center in a bloody heap.

Nice idea, hope to see this in the game some way or another. So there could be dead civilians, police/military and perhaps even some dead aliens already on the map? Although I don't know what kind of a behaviour Chris intends to give for the armed humans. Would make sense for them to just try defending themselves (holding a street or a building near the edge of the map?) until the Xenonauts arrive and handle the situation.

The plan for NPC soldiers (AFAIK) is for them to hold one position, and just defend it. My assumption is that the aliens will try and destroy this area, and that helping defend it will gain bonuses (as well as for saving the soldiers lives).

Whether Xenonauts will be able to direct civilians to the NPC soldiers (probably automatically) or not is unknown. Having the NPC soldiers static allows them to use things like the T70 (90?) tank, which was planned for the Xenonauts, but because its not square the engine couldn't move it properly.

Edited by anotherdevil
Royale with cheese

We probably won't be able to direct civvies directly, but since they run away from both aliens and Xenonaut troopers, you could chivvy them towards the local forces.

And yeah, having some pre-arrival damage is planned. I think the current build has some already (dead civilian 'tiles', the ones with a pool of blood).

• 2 weeks later...
The plan for NPC soldiers (AFAIK) is for them to hold one position, and just defend it. My assumption is that the aliens will try and destroy this area, and that helping defend it will gain bonuses (as well as for saving the soldiers lives).

That would totally mess with my playing style... NOT destroying the area.. can you play that way? I value my troopers more than all the buildings combined :)

Edited by Sathra
fixed quote, and spelling.

It'd be good to have a feature in place where the aliens get a 'free' turn for each hour that the terror site has been around for. That'd be the most elegant solution I think. Added it to the list (think it might already be there, but hey) of things to look at in beta.