I'm glad they were all dead...

Talking about radars, I've built 4 more radar arrays in my base (so, total of 6 with the initial 2) and I have to tell you that I didn't notice any difference on the detection range, it stays the same. Maybe it's not implemented yet.

I get mad for all those UFO fighters popping up all the time, I just don't have the patience anymore to eliminate every single one of them, but I noticed that if I don't, the score goes down, and I lost funding!!! I guess they should add the "auto resolve" option that popped in another thread, it would make the game less fatiguing in this area... Then you could choose the dog fights you wanna do yourself.

Nah, checked the EU wiki tongue.png

Aw, too bad. Since we actually can't know if Xenonauts follow the same rules as EU in this matter. Unless some nice developer comes out of hiding and tells us :D

I get mad for all those UFO fighters popping up all the time, I just don't have the patience anymore to eliminate every single one of them, but I noticed that if I don't, the score goes down, and I lost funding!!! I guess they should add the "auto resolve" option that popped in another thread, it would make the game less fatiguing in this area... Then you could choose the dog fights you wanna do yourself.

I quite enjoy the air combat, but you're right. With. SO. MUCH. FIGHTERS!! near the end of the demo, I just ignored them, because I knew the funding in the last month just doesn't matter.

It would be nice to get some new features in air combat, to cut down the repetitiveness, but there are already people against making the air combat system more complex. Which is sad, because it's one of the best additions to the genre.

Edited by Shima

Talking about radars, I've built 4 more radar arrays in my base (so, total of 6 with the initial 2) and I have to tell you that I didn't notice any difference on the detection range, it stays the same. Maybe it's not implemented yet.

It's not supposed to increase range, AFAIK. One radar has 0,5% chance per minute of detecting an UFO at "long range", 5% at short range. Building 5 radars increases the chances to 2,5% at long range, 25% at short each one minute 'tick'.

Additional radars don't seem very enticing given their price since the benefit is rather small.

Edited by Kaguya

It's not supposed to increase range, AFAIK. One radar has 1% chance (per minute? 10 minutes?) of detecting an UFO at "long range", 10% at short range. Building 5 radars increases the chances to 5% at long range, 50% at short each 'tick'.

Additional radars don't seem very enticing given their price since the benefit is rather small.

Ah I see! Thx for that!

I was checking the EU wiki right now, says that you lose points if your soldier goes MIA (missing in action)! Never happened to me!! Wich battlescape situation leads to that???

I think that happened if you aborted a mission with soldiers still outside of the ship.

I was checking the EU wiki right now, says that you lose points if your soldier goes MIA (missing in action)! Never happened to me!! Wich battlescape situation leads to that???

Two ways.

You abandon mission with troopers not in your dropship, the dudes left behind are MIA.

Other way involves Mind Control. If the mission ends while one of your troopers is MC'd, he'll be MIA. (tho this is pretty much a bug. But really easy to run into when fighting Sectoids/Ethereals)

Edited by Kaguya

That's what happens in the original game when you leave a soldier somewhere in the battlefield and take off with rest of your squad in Skyranger. You're reading UFO: Enemy Unknown wiki, not Xenonauts wiki. ;)

Trouble with auto-resolving the fights is that they're usually quite dangerous. I think a time-boost would be best, so you can effectively skip to the point where you make actual contact, fire your missiles, speed up again, combat over.

Either that or they could try to implement the gaming world's very first reasonable auto-combat algorithm-- by which I mean, if you send two F-17's to kill a UFO fighter or a scout, there's 0% chance of losing a fighter just as there would be if you'd done it yourself, but they'll get damaged which they might not have if you had manually handled the combat and used clever tactics.

You know I'd be surprised if they released Xenonauts and still had these air-fights take total focus on the world map. In X-Com, you could minimize an intercept and let time pass normally, even letting other fighters reach the combat and pitch in. This could even allow you to use the normal time compression controls during air combat, at least up to a point.

The minimum 5 game-seconds per real second speed seems about right for the speed of the goings-on in the dogfights right now, and 30 game-seconds per second would be plenty fast enough for the easy fights. So long as you still have the pause function in air combat, and ideally have toggles you can set for auto-pause / 5 seconds (auto-pause when first entering weapon range, auto-pause when first fired upon, etc).

Either that or they could try to implement the gaming world's very first reasonable auto-combat algorithm-- by which I mean, if you send two F-17's to kill a UFO fighter or a scout, there's 0% chance of losing a fighter just as there would be if you'd done it yourself, but they'll get damaged which they might not have if you had manually handled the combat and used clever tactics.

This. Thousand times this. I always hated losing units pointlessly in auto combat when it's just trivial shootout.

Also your proposal with speeding up time in geoscape at the same time as in air combat is great, but has a flaw - what if multiple combats happen at near the same time? You can't multitask them well and auto combat against strong enemies like Corvette would be disaster. I think this idea deserves it's own suggestion thread though. :)

Trouble with auto-resolving the fights is that they're usually quite dangerous. I think a time-boost would be best, so you can effectively skip to the point where you make actual contact, fire your missiles, speed up again, combat over.

Either that or they could try to implement the gaming world's very first reasonable auto-combat algorithm

Some kind of "adaptive" system would be neat. If you down a Scout 3 times (in a row with a single F-17 successfully you'd get an option to auto-resolve the fight with averaged results from the 3 (fuel/ammo spent, health lost) atleast when using same aircraft/weapons in it. Would cut down on a lot of trivial timesink fights, atleast.

Probably too complex to implement given how many variables it probably ends up with (multiple UFOs in different configurations et al), so you'd have to do a lot of stuff by hand anyways. Maybe just do it 1 time by yourself, and then write a guidebook for the pilots to read :b

Edited by Kaguya