Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: I'm glad they were all dead...

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Hicks View Post
    I was checking the EU wiki right now, says that you lose points if your soldier goes MIA (missing in action)! Never happened to me!! Wich battlescape situation leads to that???
    I think that happened if you aborted a mission with soldiers still outside of the ship.

  2. #32
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Hicks View Post
    I was checking the EU wiki right now, says that you lose points if your soldier goes MIA (missing in action)! Never happened to me!! Wich battlescape situation leads to that???
    Two ways.

    You abandon mission with troopers not in your dropship, the dudes left behind are MIA.

    Other way involves Mind Control. If the mission ends while one of your troopers is MC'd, he'll be MIA. (tho this is pretty much a bug. But really easy to run into when fighting Sectoids/Ethereals)
    Last edited by Kaguya; 05-13-2012 at 21:56.

  3. #33
    Sergeant Shima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Hicks View Post
    I was checking the EU wiki right now, says that you lose points if your soldier goes MIA (missing in action)! Never happened to me!! Wich battlescape situation leads to that???
    That's what happens in the original game when you leave a soldier somewhere in the battlefield and take off with rest of your squad in Skyranger. You're reading UFO: Enemy Unknown wiki, not Xenonauts wiki.
    "1 UFO down, 2999 to go."

  4. #34
    Trouble with auto-resolving the fights is that they're usually quite dangerous. I think a time-boost would be best, so you can effectively skip to the point where you make actual contact, fire your missiles, speed up again, combat over.

    Either that or they could try to implement the gaming world's very first reasonable auto-combat algorithm-- by which I mean, if you send two F-17's to kill a UFO fighter or a scout, there's 0% chance of losing a fighter just as there would be if you'd done it yourself, but they'll get damaged which they might not have if you had manually handled the combat and used clever tactics.

    You know I'd be surprised if they released Xenonauts and still had these air-fights take total focus on the world map. In X-Com, you could minimize an intercept and let time pass normally, even letting other fighters reach the combat and pitch in. This could even allow you to use the normal time compression controls during air combat, at least up to a point.

    The minimum 5 game-seconds per real second speed seems about right for the speed of the goings-on in the dogfights right now, and 30 game-seconds per second would be plenty fast enough for the easy fights. So long as you still have the pause function in air combat, and ideally have toggles you can set for auto-pause / 5 seconds (auto-pause when first entering weapon range, auto-pause when first fired upon, etc).

  5. #35
    Sergeant Shima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromko View Post
    Either that or they could try to implement the gaming world's very first reasonable auto-combat algorithm-- by which I mean, if you send two F-17's to kill a UFO fighter or a scout, there's 0% chance of losing a fighter just as there would be if you'd done it yourself, but they'll get damaged which they might not have if you had manually handled the combat and used clever tactics.
    This. Thousand times this. I always hated losing units pointlessly in auto combat when it's just trivial shootout.

    Also your proposal with speeding up time in geoscape at the same time as in air combat is great, but has a flaw - what if multiple combats happen at near the same time? You can't multitask them well and auto combat against strong enemies like Corvette would be disaster. I think this idea deserves it's own suggestion thread though.
    "1 UFO down, 2999 to go."

  6. #36
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromko View Post
    Trouble with auto-resolving the fights is that they're usually quite dangerous. I think a time-boost would be best, so you can effectively skip to the point where you make actual contact, fire your missiles, speed up again, combat over.

    Either that or they could try to implement the gaming world's very first reasonable auto-combat algorithm
    Some kind of "adaptive" system would be neat. If you down a Scout 3 times (in a row with a single F-17 successfully you'd get an option to auto-resolve the fight with averaged results from the 3 (fuel/ammo spent, health lost) atleast when using same aircraft/weapons in it. Would cut down on a lot of trivial timesink fights, atleast.

    Probably too complex to implement given how many variables it probably ends up with (multiple UFOs in different configurations et al), so you'd have to do a lot of stuff by hand anyways. Maybe just do it 1 time by yourself, and then write a guidebook for the pilots to read :b
    Last edited by Kaguya; 05-13-2012 at 22:12.

  7. #37
    Homicidal Breakfast Food Commissar Pancakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Hicks View Post
    I was checking the EU wiki right now, says that you lose points if your soldier goes MIA (missing in action)! Never happened to me!! Wich battlescape situation leads to that???
    They've been mind controlled and you aborted the mission.
    WARNING: This person will almost CERTAINLY inadvertently derail any conversation he participates in.

    Commissar Pancakes' Channel of Random Blather:
    http://www.livestream.com/commissarpancakes?t=409905

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •