It's important to remember that though the game of Xenonauts takes place in the 70s, the Iceland Incident, which is the subject of the novella, happens in 1958.

Need to point out: a period soldier would never refer to his gun as "AK-47". For an officer's/NCO's orders it would be "Weapons", like in any military. In general context it would be "Avtomat", in informal context "Kalash".

As of 1958 AK-47 was still in production (soon replaced by AKM), so that part's right, just the phrasing doesn't work. Especially since there was no other AK to distinguish it from. The only context where it would be called "AK-47" is in documents or classrooms.

I'm in the process of reading through the story and covering it in the computer-based equivalent of red pen (though Lee has the final say on all changes unless they're related to the background story); I'm on page 22 of 28 so I'm not too far from having it done.

It's a great story, I think people will really enjoy it. As I've said before, Premium Pre-orderers will have access to it as soon as it is finished and then it'll go on free public release with the release of the game so everyone else can too.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd also post it here:

The novella is on the cusp of being here! It's taken a little bit of time, but that's somewhat intentional. Very much like Goldhawk's mindset with Xenonauts, I believe in taking my time to make sure something's right. XCD recently got reviewed by Chris, some last-minute tweaks are going in (I expect them to be finished within a week), and then it goes to beta. So what's "beta" for a book? Pretty much what it is for a video game. Some fans have been selected to read it and give me their input. It's all part of quality control. This novella can't just be good to me. It has to be acceptable to Chris, respectful of the source material, and enjoyable by the fan base. This is how you ensure something is done the right way and not just the way you think is best.

But yes, we are very, very, very close. Beta for a book is a very fast process. Premium Preorders could be reading this by the end of the month.

damn my premium badge says standard......;)

but look how its silveriness matches the colour of the hair on your avatar. See, just like the golden one matches the crisply at attention stack in Commissar Pancakes' or the lovely golden sunlight glinting off the Chinook in my own.

Sure, it may take longer for you to get the novella, but what's that compared to avatar aesthetics? Exactly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I got a papercut on my right middle finger. In the world of the author, this is like a wide receiver pulling a hammy.

Back in the day*, this would meant that the readers would see blood stains on their copies. "I'll show you real alien invasions! Look real blood! You want immersion? I'll give you immersion. Technology...bah.

On the vinegar/ hand injury front, I was putting down some floorboards last weekend. Nothing too laborious. Then I opened the salt & vinegar peanuts... and poured some into my hand.

* when monks would work by hand.