Lee I've enjoyed your books and can't wait to see how you do this story. I know it will be great.

Thanks, Haldain! Great to hear that you got into and enjoyed Epic. You'll definitely know my style, then! Look for XCD to follow Epic's lead in action & intensity.

Lee, I wasnt aware of your books prior to the kickstart...but i picked it up once i realized what the series was. Im SOOO glad...once i got into the ground mission I was hooked hard. Read the entire 1st book in a day. Starting the 2nd book now. Very glad you guys made this deal, I would have never found the book otherwise!

Not read your books, Lee, but from what I'm reading here I might have to pick one up. Always looking for a good sci-fi book (or cyberpunk. Neuromancer-style).

Also, I am truly impressed that you offered to write it for free. Sure it's just a novella, but still. Kinda shows that even successful writers are human, or how to put it.

Curse you English for failing me in my time of need! *sigh* At least there's spell checking...

Lee, I wasnt aware of your books prior to the kickstart...but i picked it up once i realized what the series was. Im SOOO glad...once i got into the ground mission I was hooked hard. Read the entire 1st book in a day. Starting the 2nd book now. Very glad you guys made this deal, I would have never found the book otherwise!

Hi Ender! I'm so glad you were able to hear about Epic through the Xenonauts novel. Obviously, Epic is my baby, so it's definitely a hope that new readers discover the series through XCD. It works the other way around, too! I know a lot of Epic fans will be picking up Crimson Dagger, so hopefully this can serve as a boost both ways, to Epic and the Xenonauts video game.

But yes...if you've been reading Epic, you know what to expect! Epic and XCD could be cousins. The pacing and style of Crimson Dagger will be very familiar.

Hi Ender! I'm so glad you were able to hear about Epic through the Xenonauts novel. Obviously, Epic is my baby, so it's definitely a hope that new readers discover the series through XCD. It works the other way around, too! I know a lot of Epic fans will be picking up Crimson Dagger, so hopefully this can serve as a boost both ways, to Epic and the Xenonauts video game.

But yes...if you've been reading Epic, you know what to expect! Epic and XCD could be cousins. The pacing and style of Crimson Dagger will be very familiar.

Your books seem to favor (i.e. have a lot of) Russians. I wonder if there is a story behind that. :) I’m in the third book, half way in...Scott finding his soul again. I have to admit i really like the way you handle things in your books. You know some things are going to happen (like Scott's promotion to LT) but then you set up a false troupe, then have it happen again in a way that everyone readers and characters are going WHAT??!!

My only two criticisms so far are

1) it took you about 50 pages in book one to find your voice (or for me to see it), hope fans of the genre stick in that far...because its well worth the ride.

2)Ug, you don’t allow the female characters to kick butt as much as the male characters. Ester has a weapon (the first female character I’ve seen armed), yet she never fires it (so far). All the females are medics, or non combat scouts so far. I suppose that reflects current day norms, but still :( Thats a nitpick, really.

Otherwise I really like how you seem to set up these moments of formula story archs, but you hardly ever use them, and if you do, you do it in a such a way it feels very unexpected. :) Love the books, really do!

Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising is based partly on Iceland as well, a good read.

Heh, good to see another Clancy fan! Loved RSR!

Anyway, back on-topic. Good to see you come into the fold, Lee! I haven't really read as much sci-fi as I should, (most notably the Dune trilogy and Thomas Covenant chronicles in recent times) but I'm always a fan of the genre, and will definitely have to check out your works, next time I'm browsing through the sci-fi section! But yeah, I'm certainly very excited about the upcoming Iceland Incident novella, and will likely read it several times before Xenonauts hits. (shortly before becoming a hermit for a month or three! ;))

EDIT: Wow, after looking at the blurbs of your novels on your site, you weren't kidding about Epic and X:CD potentially being cousins! :D How similar would you say your series is to the traditional 'X-COM spirit'; in the sense of plenty of "oshi-" panicking moments among the grunts sent in, and intense 'bughunts' in darkened parts of town, with the possibility of a Chryssalid being behind every corner?

Might have to grab the lot - once I actually get some money again, after blowing it on the Kickstarter, heh - and have a pre-Xenonauts binge. Hmm...

Edited by Major Isoor

How similar would you say your series is to the traditional 'X-COM spirit'; in the sense of plenty of "oshi-" panicking moments among the grunts sent in, and intense 'bughunts' in darkened parts of town, with the possibility of a Chryssalid being behind every corner?

I definitely have elements of suspense/horror here and there throughout the series, starting with book one. Anyone who has played X-Com will definitely recognize the inspiration behind the general concept, which is a global military organization that responds to alien events. My writing style is much more action oriented, though (I think I mentioned somewhere earlier that I tend to draw comparisons to Black Hawk Down, which I take as a major compliment). So while there are definitely moments of "hunting that alien down," it's much more an experience of straight-up urban warfare. But there are some other things that are definitely related to the X-Com experience.

I love the concept of multiple species being interested in Earth, and of alien species having their own "K-9" type units. Neither of those concepts are X-Com originals, but obviously, X-Com really took advantage of them. They're just great ideas that X-Com executed masterfully. So I suppose those things are part of the X-Com spirit.

I did make it a point to pay certain homages though, out of respect for the impact X-Com had on me as a creative person. One of the more prominent species in the series uses plasma-based weaponry (though the functionality is pretty different), so that's definitely a little tribute. By far the biggest homage was the use of a name that was one of the randomly generated ones in X-Com as the name of a character in the series (it was the name of my first X-Com "commander," so I just had to get it in there somewhere!). It's really all meant as a form of respect and appreciation, but that's about as far as I go with it. I've worked hard to make Epic all its own.

Definitely let me know if you decide to give the series a shot. :) I love hearing what people think!

Hey Lee, a comment and a question

First i read the rest of book 3 and finally had multiple woman in the front in combat, that was nice to finally see. It also ended on a trilogy like ending vibe to it. Where book 1 and 2 ended very open ended, 3 had a nice conclusion.

So my question is book 4 more stand alone than 1 and especially 2 , or should I wait until the release of more books if I want to read the books to get a complete story feel? Also part B to the question, when is book 5 coming? :D

Also got my co-worker hooked on your series. I loaned him book 1 and he wants to read the rest of the series. :)

Hey Lee, a comment and a question

First i read the rest of book 3 and finally had multiple woman in the front in combat, that was nice to finally see. It also ended on a trilogy like ending vibe to it. Where book 1 and 2 ended very open ended, 3 had a nice conclusion.

So my question is book 4 more stand alone than 1 and especially 2 , or should I wait until the release of more books if I want to read the books to get a complete story feel? Also part B to the question, when is book 5 coming? :D

Also got my co-worker hooked on your series. I loaned him book 1 and he wants to read the rest of the series. :)

Great that you enjoyed books 1-3! Epic definitely has some powerful female characters that don't appear right out of the gate. As with all series, sometimes it just takes time to build things up. I'm glad you came along for the ride. :)

None of the books are meant to be standalone, as this is a series that will span about eight books. But I would definitely not wait for the series to completed, because being honest, that'll probably be a decade away! I'm a notoriously slow writer (don't fear, Xenonauts faithfu) when it comes to Epic. Much like Blizzard, my official deadline is always, "when it's done." Haste makes waste. I'd rather you read something awesome than read something now.

But you definitely, definitely, definitely want to read book 4! Just trust me. And as for book 5...it'll be done...when it's done. :)

Thanks bigtime for getting your co-worker involved! As an indie, much like Xenonauts, I rely on mostly word-of-mouth to get Epic out there. Telling people about the series, writing Amazon reviews, and discussing it are the things that keep it going. Those things are tremendously appreciated, always.

I didn't read this entire topic, but I have a small critic to do..

I was reading the Iceland incident yesterday, and realize that the speech of the military did not fit for a military. Like "It was 5.23am .." The hour format should be like "0523 local time" obviously for local time or "0523z" for GMT (Z means Zulu Time)

ps. just to be more simply to understand, “At 5:07pm a detonation centred" should be "“At 1707 local time, a detonation centred"

The story is awesome and these details won't make a great difference, but quality come with the details.

After reading about this I just had to check out your books, Lee.

Now that I'm done with book 4 after a week (just couldn't put them down. Made for a sleep deprived, yet awesome week) I just have to demand you release books 5 through 8 immidiately. Go ahead.

I'll wait...

^-^

Ok seriously, very nice work. Thank you for getting into the business ^.^

I've been waiting for novels like this ever since I first played UfoEU.

Two questions though, the first one mostly rethorical.

Why is the main character such an ass? He starts of sort of ok, but I just can't stand him...

And I'm not talking about his actions so much as I mean his attitude.

Damn, I wanna go into the book and give him a good beating.

Ah well...

Second question...why in the world did you make the supposedly best soldier on the world german?

It's like some sort of mirror universe ^-^

Don't get me wrong, being german myself that's a nice change of pace not having all my countrymen being the bad guys, but it's just WEIRD.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

regards

Davoren

I didn't read this entire topic, but I have a small critic to do..

I was reading the Iceland incident yesterday, and realize that the speech of the military did not fit for a military. Like "It was 5.23am .." The hour format should be like "0523 local time" obviously for local time or "0523z" for GMT (Z means Zulu Time)

ps. just to be more simply to understand, “At 5:07pm a detonation centred" should be "“At 1707 local time, a detonation centred"

The story is awesome and these details won't make a great difference, but quality come with the details.

No need to fret. Outside of writing, I work full-time for Homeland Security and have been a POC for major National Guard exercises. I got this. :)

After reading about this I just had to check out your books, Lee.

Now that I'm done with book 4 after a week (just couldn't put them down. Made for a sleep deprived, yet awesome week) I just have to demand you release books 5 through 8 immidiately. Go ahead.

I'll wait...

^-^

Ok seriously, very nice work. Thank you for getting into the business ^.^

I've been waiting for novels like this ever since I first played UfoEU.

Two questions though, the first one mostly rethorical.

Why is the main character such an ass? He starts of sort of ok, but I just can't stand him...

And I'm not talking about his actions so much as I mean his attitude.

Damn, I wanna go into the book and give him a good beating.

Ah well...

Second question...why in the world did you make the supposedly best soldier on the world german?

It's like some sort of mirror universe ^-^

Don't get me wrong, being german myself that's a nice change of pace not having all my countrymen being the bad guys, but it's just WEIRD.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

regards

Davoren

Glad you enjoyed the series! Be sure you check out the reaction podcast for TGB at

. You might find some of it interesting. (and wow, I never realized how disproportionately people listen to the podcast on iTunes relative to YouTube! I definitely need some more hits there!)

Let's tackle that rhetorical question! :) In a way, I love that you disliked him, because it just goes to show how everyone can feel differently about every character - an emulation of real life. A vast majority of the feedback on Scott Remington is positive (in fact, Stephanie, one of the podcast hosts, developed a full-blown crush on him in book 4). But he's not meant to be "good" or "bad." He's meant to be human. And as humans ourselves, we like and dislike certain people based on their personalities and actions. That you're itching to beat up the protagonist just shows that he's not a cookie-cutter hero to all people. I like that! It's always interesting to see who fans' favorite characters are. There are Becan fans, David fans, Max fans, Sveta fans. Dostoevsky's fan base gets bigger in every book. Esther has people who passionately love her and fervently hate her. It's always interesting to see who draws who's attention and in what way. My aim was just to make everyone real.

As for Klaus Faerber's role, I think you'll appreciate the motivation behind that one! Klaus is my one flat-out tribute to X-Com. If you recall, there were dozens of first and last names that randomly generated in UFO Defense as a soldier names, with countless different combinations possible. It just so happened that my first super-soldier / commander / Cydonia-buster was named "Klaus Faerber." I worked hard to make Epic my own, and I think if anyone reads it, they'll definitely see that the plot, characters, aliens, and general depth are much different from X-Com beyond the "military organization fights aliens" aspect. Epic's not X-Com. But X-Com wholeheartedly inspired the creation of Epic. I wanted to insert something into the crux of the story that could serve as a genuine homage (I don't count grays and plasma weapons, since those are pretty common in sci-fi in general). But Klaus Faerber is a tribute. For most of the world, that name means nothing, but for me, it will always be that blond-haired soldier with 80-100 level skills across the board, who could fire an auto-shot through three sets of windows and have every one hit the mark. I needed a legend in Epic. I couldn't think of a more respectful one than someone from the inspiration behind my military science-fiction passion.

I love, love, love that he's German. It's different, it's unique, and you know what? Who says it couldn't be? German is not synonymous with "villain." Let's make Vector Squad out of Berlin. Let's show some love to places outside of America. Don't get me wrong. I'm a red-blooded, do-it-yourself American straight out of the south. I love me some US of A. But we don't hold a monopoly on heroes. It's short-sighted (and unfair) to write as if we do. Too many American writers do that already.

Bit of a long answer, but hey, long answers are what I do best. :) Hope this answers some things for you!

Let's tackle that rhetorical question! :) In a way, I love that you disliked him, because it just goes to show how everyone can feel differently about every character - an emulation of real life. A vast majority of the feedback on Scott Remington is positive (in fact, Stephanie, one of the podcast hosts, developed a full-blown crush on him in book 4). But he's not meant to be "good" or "bad." He's meant to be human. And as humans ourselves, we like and dislike certain people based on their personalities and actions. That you're itching to beat up the protagonist just shows that he's not a cookie-cutter hero to all people. I like that! It's always interesting to see who fans' favorite characters are. There are Becan fans, David fans, Max fans, Sveta fans. Dostoevsky's fan base gets bigger in every book. Esther has people who passionately love her and fervently hate her. It's always interesting to see who draws who's attention and in what way. My aim was just to make everyone real.

I didn't mean to imply he was evil, but yes, you most definitely succeeded in making him human.

As soon as you get a reader to feel strongly about your characters one way or the other, you've already won.

If half the other authors out there could do that, they'd sell much better ;)

As for Klaus Faerber's role, I think you'll appreciate the motivation behind that one!........

Hot damn *speechless* hahaha that is too awesome :)

I love, love, love that he's German. It's different, it's unique, and you know what? Who says it couldn't be? German is not synonymous with "villain." Let's make Vector Squad out of Berlin. Let's show some love to places outside of America. Don't get me wrong. I'm a red-blooded, do-it-yourself American straight out of the south. I love me some US of A. But we don't hold a monopoly on heroes. It's short-sighted (and unfair) to write as if we do. Too many American writers do that already.

Bit of a long answer, but hey, long answers are what I do best. :) Hope this answers some things for you!

My hat is off to you for that.

Thank you for your answer.

regards

Davoren

Hot damn *speechless* hahaha that is too awesome :)

Yeah, definitely! If I ever do a novel or anything, (doubtful, but still) I'll most certainly be adding in the Pearce brothers from my first X-COM game, who each killed 40+ aliens; althoughsadly poor Adam died shortly before being able to evac to recieve medical attention, and died. (although Damien came along in the next batch of rookies, and lasted the rest of the war, sustaining a couple of injuries along the way)

On the topic, Lee, I think I've got Klaus' brother on my team: Otto Faerber, one of my 'Otto trio', and is one of my best men so far, in my new pre-Xenonauts X-COM game! :D

(Also, I don't recall seeing your series in the Big W near where I live, that is pretty well-stocked with novels. Do you know what - if any, I suppose - major Australian retailers you sell your books at, by any chance?)

Being indie, my books aren't standard stock at brick-and-mortar stores. You should be able to order them to any store, however. Typically, Amazon is the route most people go to get their hands on a copy. And as I always tell people, if someone wants one of the books and can't find them anywhere, send me a message. I do keep a small stock on hand and have been known to take mail orders from time to time.

Being indie, my books aren't standard stock at brick-and-mortar stores. You should be able to order them to any store, however.

Ah, good idea - I've actually never had to do that, before, until now! (Especially since I don't really feel like dealing with Amazon at the moment, due to issues with my Xenonauts pledge..) I'll definitely need to get the first one at least, once I have some spare cash in a week or so - especially judging from all the positive reviews here!