• 1 month later...

This is just a very quick update, as it's been a while. XCD is currently a hair under 20,000 words and heading toward its finale. I did encounter a bit of a delay in the form of unexpected sinus surgery, from which I'm still recovering, but it shouldn't be enough to delay the novella from being completed. It's looking like this thing will wind up somewhere between the 25,000 - 30,000 word mark, which is solid (typical novella length is around 17k-40k). All in all, I think the story is flowing nicely and will definitely prep people for gameplay!

As soon as the story itself is finished and I've given it a good read-through, it'll go into the hands of the beta readers. After that...

...lock and load! :)

**For those on the Twittersphere, feel free to follow me @epicuniverse, as I do post on occasion when XCD is being worked on! It's always nice to have people tracking your progress!

Reading XCD: That's odd, I haven't seen a large mucous blob creature in the game. It must appear later on...after all, it's in here.

Nah, that's only going to be if the developers decide to remake X-COM Apocalypse next. There was certainly a large mucous blob in THAT game (and it was psionic, too).

Also: go, novella, go!

My tip is avoid any pets you might be allergic to for the next few weeks...

Mainly because the large mutant blob creature generally targets the pets first, before moving on to your family.

Unless you are Swe_Racoon of course, which case everyone you know and love is in immediate peril.

What if said mutant blobs seems friendly, wants some Reese's Piece's, and asks to use mt telephone?

Should I:

1. Shoot in the head

2. Shove a nade (grenade sickos) down it's throat

3. Shove C4 up it's but.

P.S. I truely believe the novella will be pure awesome-sauseness. I loved Dawn of Destiny. Read it in under a week, can't wait for the others.

What if said mutant blobs seems friendly, wants some Reese's Piece's, and asks to use mt telephone?

Should I:

1. Shoot in the head

2. Shove a nade (grenade sickos) down it's throat

3. Shove C4 up it's but.

P.S. I truely believe the novella will be pure awesome-sauseness. I loved Dawn of Destiny. Read it in under a week, can't wait for the others.

Glad that you enjoyed DOD. :) Let me know if you decide to hit the rest of the series!

XCD is rockin' and rollin' right now. All it's missing is a soundtrack from Hans Zimmer.

Hey Lee,

Finsihed book 4, what a ride! I read the book in 2 days! I loved the book soooo much like XCOM, and I love the XCOM like theme as well as getting invested in the characters various struggles. The intrigue within the story was in full gear, and while not super deep, it kept me glued and thinking/speculating the whole read! This series scratches the itch of wanting a great XCOM fable! You've really go to finsih this...

Question was the ant farm reference intentional nod to the new reboot, or just serendipity?

Hey Lee,

Finsihed book 4, what a ride! I read the book in 2 days! I loved the book soooo much like XCOM, and I love the XCOM like theme as well as getting invested in the characters various struggles. The intrigue within the story was in full gear, and while not super deep, it kept me glued and thinking/speculating the whole read! This series scratches the itch of wanting a great XCOM fable! You've really go to finsih this...

Question was the ant farm reference intentional nod to the new reboot, or just serendipity?

That's great, man! I would definitely encourage you (and anyone whose enjoyed it) to post a review on Amazon, really for any of the books you'd want to. That's the best way to help an independent series like Epic out - to share with others what you thought about it. It helps and is appreciated more than you can imagine!

Regarding the "Ant Hill" in TGB, that's actually just a coincidence. :) Book 4 was finished before I ever knew XCOM was being remade (2K aside). That's just one of those things!

I am going to wait this Iceland incident novella and if it is good, then I will read the authors other stuff.

ya that is my sentiment as well. so really this means that this free service might end up getting him more money, the way it should be in my opinion.

based on your avatar you like comic books, so i'll tell you that there is a kickstarter for a comic, done by a couple of artists from DC. i wanted to see some of their work before kicking them some money, but all of their work referenced is tightly controlled from DC, so i decided to not give them any, had they done any web comics that i could read for free i might have kicked them some money.

Lee, I hadn't heard of you or the Epic Universe series, but because I read this thread, I looked into your books, and just purchased the Kindle edition of the first book in the Epic series, Dawn of Destiny :) As a Christian who loves sci-fi and fantasy, I really look forward to reading your book, and if it's as good as the Amazon reviews say, I'll be buying the remainder of the series :D I'm guessing your offer to Goldhawk to write the novella for free has already paid off, since I bet I'm not the only one who's done this :cool: