Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Iceland Incident Novella

Nice to meet you, Mr. Stephen!
    I'm really looking forward to reading your work, you don't get a chance to read quality material about your favourite game very often!

I have some questions already:
    Will the story begin with Kirov's parting with NATO General, or before that, say, in barracks?
    What are your favourite sci-fi books? And which ones heavily influenced your work? (just spying to see what I can expect )

The question is, did Chris still make you pay for the game :P

And Hi

Some other Kickstarter games gave away novellas for the higher pledge tiers. Not something I was interested in... until now Go for it, Mr Stephen, and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by The New Romance View Post
    Some other Kickstarter games gave away novellas for the higher pledge tiers. Not something I was interested in... until now
    Yeah, I'm more excited about this one than Wasteland 2's novella.

The Iceland Incident (II) actually happens in a pretty short span of time. UFO crashes, soldiers arrive, firefight, everyone dies, it all happens in less than a day from what I gather.

So I'm really curious about the story that's going to be squeezed into this relatively short (though intense) period of time although it seems that some events beyond the II will also come into play.

Maybe it's going to be a military sci-fi novella equivalent of those old 500 page long stream of consciousness novels where everything happens within 24hrs.
    Last edited by Jean-Luc; 05-13-2012 at 00:41.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Nuke It From Orbit! Corporal Hicks's Avatar
    Welcome Mr. Lee, looking foward to read your novella!!

Sergeant
    This looks quite interesting. I'll definitely be reading the novella when it comes out, and the news introduced me to an author who writes novels in one of my favorite genres. Good news all around.

Homicidal Breakfast Food Commissar Pancakes's Avatar
    Only so far a game can go without a backrground!

Can't wait to see the finished novella!
    WARNING: This person will almost CERTAINLY inadvertently derail any conversation he participates in.

Commissar Pancakes' Channel of Random Blather:
    http://www.livestream.com/commissarpancakes?t=409905

Quote Originally Posted by Shima View Post
    Nice to meet you, Mr. Stephen!
    I'm really looking forward to reading your work, you don't get a chance to read quality material about your favourite game very often!

I have some questions already:
    Will the story begin with Kirov's parting with NATO General, or before that, say, in barracks?
    What are your favourite sci-fi books? And which ones heavily influenced your work? (just spying to see what I can expect )
    Hi Shima, great to meet you!

To answer your questions, the story will begin prior to Kirov's speaking with General Palmerston. Things will unfold very quickly, as the span of this entire event takes place of the course of 4-5 hours. The situation does not allow for a long, drawn-out buildup. That's as much as I can say for the time being.

Regarding my favorite science-fiction authors, that's always a difficult question to answer, because I don't often get opportunities to sit back and read. When I'm reading, I'm not writing. One of my favorite current authors, and also an independent, is Patrick Todoroff, author of the Eshu International series. His work is definitely worth checking out. Turning back the clock some, I was always a big fan of Michael Crichton (who wasn't?). Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles was always a favorite of mine, too. But I'm not sure I could say that either inspired my style of writing. When talking about my influences, I'd rather talk about cinema. Films like Black Hawk Down and Alien have influenced me far greater than any written works. I think that definitely reflects in the way that I write.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stephen View Post
    Films like Black Hawk Down and Alien have influenced me far greater than any written works. I think that definitely reflects in the way that I write.
    In a panic, and hiding in dark rooms?
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

@ Lee Stephen

Are you aiming to release the Novella with the game or will it be an in advance/when its done release? I kinda like the idea of having something to read pre-release as part of an excitement building frenzy, if you get what I mean.