How to engage map events??

Hi!

I was playing the demo til now, having a great time, I'm really enjoying this game.

Maybe this was covered on another topic, but I couldn't find anything related to my question.

I noticed that events start to happen randomly, like "heavy radio disruption due to alien activity" or "oil rig attacked by aliens", stuff like that, but when I click on them, nothing happens. Those are "side mission" ?

Or we are just supposed to send aircraft to patrol the area??

They are basically fluff.

They currently just fill out events in countries to give a feeling of impending world doom.

Later on terror missions pop up and you have 2 choices... Go and save the city ...or ...erm.... something painful happens.

I think they are Caused by UFO:s being present in the area. Often times you can see events spawning when fighters appear. I guess events will change along the course of the game.

SO yes. If you have fighters to spare send them to check, you might find prey!

When your on super fast forward they disappear before you get the chance to read them. Might be an idea to leave them showing a bit longer when on fast forward mode.

Good bit of fluff mind you. Adds some depth to the Geoscape.

Yeah, they appear near UFOs.

And if you look closely, each time text states casualties, casualty rate for the region/complete casualty count will rise.

I love those little messages :D

Though I wish regions would sometimes manage to shoot down ufos with their fighters and not ALWAYS fail. I mean, it would be nice if sometimes you don't have to shot down ufo to have crashed ufo mission.

As I understand it, the events are generated by UFOs that haven't been intercepted yet, which means that you could send out an exploratory fighter to see what is going on if an event occurs outside your radar range.

They also generate points on the 'ticker': this is what keeps track of the escalation of the alien invasion. As such, shooting down UFOs can help to slow down the alien advance, giving a bit more time to get advanced weaponry deployed.

I suspect they also affect funding from the affected nation.