suppression poll

thoughts on suppression for Xenonauts  

53 members have voted

1. 1. thoughts on suppression for Xenonauts

• slowly prevent movement
    • slowly keep the enemy from effectively shooting
    • deal damage to enemy
    • prevent damage to enemy
    • don't think suppression in any form should be in the game.

with the suppression threads getting big and bogged down, i figured a way to just get the basic pulse of the community towards the idea would be helpful.

suppression ideas are pretty much four ideas in some form of combination:

1. slowly prevent movement
  2. slowly keep the enemy from effectively shooting
  3. deal damage to enemy
  4. slowly prevent movement, keep the enemy from effectively shooting
  5. deal damage to enemy, slowly prevent movement
  6. deal damage to enemy, slowly keep the enemy from effectively shooting
  7. deal damage to enemy, slowly prevent movement, keep the enemy from effectively shooting
  8. slowly prevent movement, prevent damage to enemy
  9. slowly keep the enemy from effectively shooting, prevent damage to enemy
  10. slowly prevent movement, keep the enemy from effectively shooting, prevent damage to enemy

if i have missed some idea in this combination please tell me.

2. includes sapping APs used solely for firing, as well as reducing/eliminating reaction shots, or even reducing accuracy.

3. would be improved chances at reaction fire, as that leads to damage to the enemy.

4. would be morale damage, as that would eventually result in panic, which would cause a full loss of APs, and thus result in no movement and no shooting.

8-10. includes increasing the effects of cover.

missed vision reduction and affecting the AI.

Edited by jamoecw

Aww why you gotta use my favorite pie? Why not lemon meringue? I hate lemon meringue...

You should know by now I do it for the double entendre! :D

MOUAHAHAHHAHAAAHAAHAAAHAA!

PS. Thothkins can now never eat banana cream pie again. :P

The most realistic would be an "AI penalty" that kept aliens from moving into view to engage you (that's what suppressive fire is all about, keeping the enemy from going out of cover), but I would be on board for a penalty to morale, accuracy and reaction fire, too :) .

Not sure if I would want it to be a very big effect, though.

Just read the last page or two of the other thread, it's been narrowed down fairly well.

Your poll is missing accuracy reduction, less chance to start reaction fire, more susceptible to reaction fire, decreased vision range, etc. If you're going to start a poll at least bother to check what was discussed beforehand. :P

Here you go: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/1551-Suppression-Mechanics/page13

Edited by erutan
link to last page

Suppression is just the tactic of firing as many times as possible at a target to get them to take cover and hinder them from firing back at you (or your squadmates).

Example:

What the AI is doing to this guy (who is apparently a terrible shot seeing as how he isn't factoring bullet drop).

Thx a lot pancakes! I got it now... ;)

The most realistic would be an "AI penalty" that kept aliens from moving into view to engage you (that's what suppressive fire is all about, keeping the enemy from going out of cover), but I would be on board for a penalty to morale, accuracy and reaction fire, too :) .

That would have no effect on the player though.

You either need a big enough penalty that the player is really worried about sending his troops out into the area or some kind of effect on the troopers to enforce a bit of caution.

Once you have an idea of how suppression should effect the player you can get the AI to respond appropriately.

Just read the last page or two of the other thread, it's been narrowed down fairly well.

Your poll is missing accuracy reduction, less chance to start reaction fire, more susceptible to reaction fire, decreased vision range, etc. If you're going to start a poll at least bother to check what was discussed beforehand. :P

Here you go: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/1551-Suppression-Mechanics/page13

i used general terms for things, so effectively shooting at you includes less chance to start reaction fire, as there would be less shots at you.

reduced accuracy is also included in effectively shooting at you.

more susceptibility to reaction fire is included in deal damage to enemy, as it increases the chances of dealing damage to the enemy.

i figured having it be very general would help guide basic implementation without arguing about increased AP cost to fire/reduced accuracy, as they are different, but aim at doing the same thing (in general sort of way).

you are right that i did not get reduced vision range.

is there anything else i missed that you think shouldn't be in the other options?

missed the ai one as well.