How to download the latest build and add silver medal to my account?

Hi!

I just went to kickstarter page and backed the project with US$20.

It said it would give me access to the latest builds and beta, plus a silver medal here on the forum.

I only got one email from kickstarter saying that I'm a backer, nothing else.

Where do I download the builds, and how do I get my medal??

Please someone help.

thx a lot!! ;)

The funds will not be transfered untill the kickstarter project ends as per kickstarter standard procedeur. As such you have not yet paid for the preorder through kickstarter.

The current build is downloadable from the kickstarter page. The demo is the exact same thing as the current Alpha build.

For the medal you have to wait untill kickstarter ends and then you will get an email with further details.

The funds will not be transfered untill the kickstarter project ends as per kickstarter standard procedeur. As such you have not yet paid for the preorder through kickstarter.

The current build is downloadable from the kickstarter page. The demo is the exact same thing as the current Alpha build.

For the medal you have to wait untill kickstarter ends and then you will get an email with further details.

Ah I see...

Humm, If I knew I would've order on Desura then... But this demo is the same thing as the latest build? How far can I go playing the demo? Some good hours of gameplay? When the fun ends? lol

I hope this game will be as good as the original X Com... I remember spending long hours in front of my old 386 pc playing xcom that I got from a friend (floppy disk era), no internet that time... Great times!

You can get a good few hours of fun yes. :) Shortly after the KS ends, you should be given a key to download the game from Desura and get all the updates released until the game is finished. The whole game won't really open up until Beta though. What we're doing now in alpha is basically testing, reporting bugs, and suggesting changes/additions. :)

You can get a good few hours of fun yes. :) Shortly after the KS ends, you should be given a key to download the game from Desura and get all the updates released until the game is finished. The whole game won't really open up until Beta though. What we're doing now in alpha is basically testing, reporting bugs, and suggesting changes/additions. :)

Great!

The demo just finished downloading, now I'm gonna install it and kill some aliens in the meantime;)!

Ah, I was also wondering about this. I take it the email you mentioned will also include a means of giving you our address and name, etc. for the bonuses for the $125+ tier pledges?

Major - I'm not sure if it will be in that same email or not, but, yes, you'll get a request for addresses/etc. I think Kickstarter actually has a mechanism for project creators to send out post-drive surveys to collect that sort of info, so you may get the info collection survey via Kickstarter and a separate email from Goldhawk or Desura with the download info but in any case, you'll both get the game and have a chance to provide that info when the drive ends.

Ah, I was also wondering about this. I take it the email you mentioned will also include a means of giving you our address and name, etc. for the bonuses for the $125+ tier pledges?

No, I do not think that will be in an e-mail. That should be in a survey sent out through kickstarter, so you need to check back on kickstarter after the project ends. (I think there will be an e-mail notification about the survey)

Wait, we need to wait until June? It said, "plus access to our development builds and beta testing until the game is complete!" so I was expecting to get into some testing builds.

Game looks amazing, I'd just hate to wait until June to really try something that isn't a demo.

Is there a way to cancel a Kickstarter pre-order and do it via Desura? I mean, what is the actual difference?

@James009

This IS the test build. The demo is the latest, most current stable build. The testing is done by us basically running over it with a fine-toothed comb to point out bugs or add a suggestion that might get implemented (it also gets updated pretty damn quick).

@drakhon999

Go here and follow the directions:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/145-How-to-claim-your-Pre-Order-forum-badge%21

Wait, we need to wait until June? It said, "plus access to our development builds and beta testing until the game is complete!" so I was expecting to get into some testing builds.

Game looks amazing, I'd just hate to wait until June to really try something that isn't a demo.

Is there a way to cancel a Kickstarter pre-order and do it via Desura? I mean, what is the actual difference?

The difference is that you contribute to stretch goals and the % of what you pay that goes to Chris. (think kickstarter gives 90% to Chris and Desura 75-85%) You can also get more swag through kickstarters higher reward tiers.

Other then that there is no difference. The demo is the same thing as the current development build. So there really isn't any point in cancelling it and ordering through desura.

Yes, you can cancel your kickstarter at any time since you haven't acctually payed yet. just press "manage my pledge" on the kickstarter page and reduce it to $00.00

Don't forget that the game won't be coming out when the kickstarter ends so you would still have plenty of opportunity to join in on the dev builds between then and release.

Another option is to keep the builds up to date on Kickstarter for supportors only. That way you keep the money in kickstarter and keep people happy.

That sounds like a ridicolously bad idea. Right before kickstarter went live we had 2 major bugs, 1 where the weight of 2handed weapons doubled after each mission (causeing your soldiers to quickly become encumered and hardly be able to move) and 1 where the research tree broke (some topics got impossible to research) if you loaded your game. These generally stuck with the game for quite a few builds. You could work around them, but the community felt they really needed to be fixed for the demo. (not many kickstarterers are going to logg on to the forum and check the bug report forum or the workaround thread)

4 builds back or something we had a bug where it was very very common for the hidden movement phase to loop preventing all progress. It literally broke the game. (But it was swiftly fixed)

Chris baisically stopped implementing new features so that he could work on removeing these bugs for the kickstarter demo build. Adding new features that could possibly introduce gamebreaking bugs and then upload that on kickstarter for potential pledgers to try out would be disasterous.

That sounds like a ridicolously bad idea. Right before kickstarter went live we had 2 major bugs, 1 where the weight of 2handed weapons doubled after each mission (causeing your soldiers to quickly become encumered and hardly be able to move) and 1 where the research tree broke (some topics got impossible to research) if you loaded your game. These generally stuck with the game for quite a few builds. You could work around them, but the community felt they really needed to be fixed for the demo. (not many kickstarterers are going to logg on to the forum and check the bug report forum or the workaround thread)

4 builds back or something we had a bug where it was very very common for the hidden movement phase to loop preventing all progress. It literally broke the game. (But it was swiftly fixed)

Chris baisically stopped implementing new features so that he could work on removeing these bugs for the kickstarter demo build. Adding new features that could possibly introduce gamebreaking bugs and then upload that on kickstarter for potential pledgers to try out would be disasterous.

He said supportors only, which would separate the pledgers and the non-pledgers. I actually want a way to update the demo without pre-ordering from Desura.

Granted he did say that. I've seen a few comments on kickstarter about people that pledged first and decided to try the demo after. My first impulsive response is that I want to advise caution. But we will have to see what Chris comes up with.

Those pledgers could remove their pledge at any time if they thought the bugs were going to be a problem at release.

Granted most of them wouldn't jump to the conclusion that a newly released alpha version with added bugs was a sign that the game was failing.

It is up to Chris.

My personal opinion would be to add new features on the small increments (V10.1, V11.5 etc) then release the large increments (V11, V12 etc) as updated demos to supporters.

By the time the builds get to those little milestones they should be stable enough to showcase the progress without showing off the bugs so much.

Of course that is assuming he has time to devote to that sort of thing before beta now.

I would be surprised if we get any new builds while the KS is running. I feel that it would be a bad idea to do so until everyone who pre-ordered (counting KS) are able to access the builds. Plus there is a lot going on with stretch goals and more planning and that sort of thing. I really hope we hit at least 140 by the end! That would net a level designer, indoor fights, and soviet tile set. Those would all be great additions. But donations have slowed considerably now so we'll see how far we get :)

Edit: Look I was right!

Goldhawk Interactive about 5 hours ago

Yes, Desura keys will be sent out after the Kickstarter closes. There won't be any updates on Desura in the meantime, so you're not losing out on anything!

Edited by Hellstormer