Soldier wounded?

Most likely the "healing while in transit" bug. If the mission result screen states a recovery time, he should be out for that period of time. At the moment, sometimes they do, sometimes they do less, and sometimes not at all. Also, unless a soldier is at -20 health, he CAN survive. Every turn after 0 he loses one point though, so you have to race to finish the mission for a better chance of saving him.

Last time I checked a quick mission brought them back from the dead as well. The worlds easiest death dodging deal...

Reaper: Your dead mate! That alien got you good.

Dead Xenonaut: Please let me live, I promise to kill more aliens within 1 hour.

Reaper: Awww go on.. shoo.

There's also another system at play if I remember one of Chris's posts correctly.

From what I recall: If, after the end of the ground combat, a soldier has OVER 50% of their health, they should be able to go on missions but just start with a lower amount of current health (or a temp lowered max health). Under 50% means they're in the medical bay and can't be assigned.

However, I did some testing (Chinook landed and was out again within the hour) with some troops that were meant to be injured (approx 60% health) from the first groundcombat who had full health at the start of the second ground combat.

So, dunno what's going on really.