I especialy like the fact that in the ground combat it reminds me of the drama and anxiety of the original X-COM music.

Its diferent ofc, but it has a tone or vibe that brings back some feelings from the previous one. Don't know if it was made with that as a goal or not, but congratulations on that, the music realy adds up A LOT on the ambience of the game, and the feeling of mystery of what comes next, wich is unknown, but with a very slight memory of what happened 10 years ago, wich was a lot of times, deadly ;)

Edited by Knightpt

I agree heartily that this game's music is excellent. Whenever I played X-Com I found that the music added a layer of oppression that was very similar to John Carpenter's The Thing. That steady drumming synth music made the atmosphere of the film feel as if doom was waiting around any corner, and so far Xenonauts is doing a good deal of justice to that legacy.

Speaking of XCOM I just finished playing with my friend. The music of XCOM is just as harrytheb said and Ill add its so natural and fits perfectly!

Every amazing game needs the perfect musical score for our ears!

Aleksi you can do it!!

I agree heartily that this game's music is excellent. Whenever I played X-Com I found that the music added a layer of oppression that was very similar to John Carpenter's The Thing. That steady drumming synth music made the atmosphere of the film feel as if doom was waiting around any corner, and so far Xenonauts is doing a good deal of justice to that legacy.

Well, i had Chris pointing out the X-COM music to me, and i did my little research. He wanted me to do something in the same mood. Of course, i have my own touch (like Xenonauts has), but i try to remain close to the genre. I'm glad most of you like it so far.

At some point I played Assasins Creed (think it was brotherhood or revelations) at the same time I played Xenonauts. The ambient sound effects or music in the " empty loading area" whenever Desmond wasn't in the real world or inside a memory was.. interesting, and possibly worth a look imo.

Rarely does game music make any kind of impression on me. (Frankly, I'm generally just grateful if it's not excruciatingly annoying. I really don't understand all you people that get so in to it!)

However, playing the demo yesterday...I was impressed with what I was hearing. It was perfect!

Thank you for catching the soul of the game so effectively, Aleksi! I'm really looking forward to hearing more!

Rarely does game music make any kind of impression on me. (Frankly, I'm generally just grateful if it's not excruciatingly annoying. I really don't understand all you people that get so in to it!)

However, playing the demo yesterday...I was impressed with what I was hearing. It was perfect!

Thank you for catching the soul of the game so effectively, Aleksi! I'm really looking forward to hearing more!

Thanks for your comment Oktober. Its heart warming to see these kind of posts. I hope the rest of the music coming along will be as enjoyable for you, and others! I'm working hard on it. ;)

• 1 month later...

Aleksi u rock! The new day ground combat music is amazing! You nailed the X-Com feeling there. Even slightly more dark. Hence perfect. And the Aircombat theme is even better than before.

I know i sound like a suck-up. But i have no criticism to put forth.

I also liked the music. I didn't expect to even notice it, given that even A-list games with zillion-dollar budgets don't always have a killer soundtrack. But Aleksi's score does a great job of setting just the right (creepy/tense) mood for this game. It's definitely one area where Xenonauts has managed to surpass the original X-COM.

Aleksi u rock! The new day ground combat music is amazing! You nailed the X-Com feeling there. Even slightly more dark. Hence perfect. And the Aircombat theme is even better than before.

Definitely going to second this. Noticed it immediately after loading up the new version. Great work.

• 2 weeks later...
How many sortie themes will there be?

How many air combat themes?

How many main map screen themes?

Given that these are the meat-and-potatoes of the game, I would hope there will be a wide, wide variety!

The main menu screen will be as is. Perhaps a bit longer, not to sure yet.

All the other tunes will go by 3.

3 Air Combat, 3 Ground Combat Day, 3 Night, etc...

If times permits it, i'll add up a fourth one where i can (probably Geoscape & Day GC). Perhaps even after game release, if Chris agrees.

I love the music and this is probably one of the only games in which I'll tend to leave the music on all the time. My only complaint (and this applies to every single game I can think of) is that when a track is triggered, it starts from the beginning. So, for example, I always hear the first 30sec or so of the air combat track and ONLY the first 30sec. Again, I love the music, but who isn't going to get completely and utterly sick of the same short snippet being played over and over and over....

I love the music and this is probably one of the only games in which I'll tend to leave the music on all the time. My only complaint (and this applies to every single game I can think of) is that when a track is triggered, it starts from the beginning. So, for example, I always hear the first 30sec or so of the air combat track and ONLY the first 30sec. Again, I love the music, but who isn't going to get completely and utterly sick of the same short snippet being played over and over and over....

I think in the case of Xenonauts, this only applies to the Air Combat music & the combat tunes. The Geoscape music comes back to where it was when you jump into a combat scene. At least, it should.

As for variety, as you may heard, i always try to change tones and orchestrations often, while keeping the general mood of the game/scene. This is to give the most longevity to the music. It always tends to be redundant with time.

The AC music is the most difficult because its short. The 2 other tunes will come out soon, so it will add more to it. Perhaps, in the future, they'll be more versions, with different arrangements. We'll see how it goes, and how Chris feels about it.

That'd be cool if there was a hint of the original xcom music in some tracks too.

Can't really do that. For several reasons. The first is a copyright issue. Well, i could put in a little hint and that would be fine, but it takes another approach in how i would work. Secondly, i don't want to. :P

For different reasons, but to make it short, i'd rather take Xenonauts like something really different from X-Com. Catching the mood, yes, but i prefer to give it its own musical identity.

Edited by Aleksi

I think in the case of Xenonauts, this only applies to the Air Combat music & the combat tunes. <snip>

The AC music is the most difficult because its short.

I would say it ONLY applies to the AC music. It is dramatic, exciting, and stands in the forefront (which is probably the point since air combat is brief and fierce).

The combat tunes, imo, work perfectly as background music. This is probably more easily achieved since that portion of the game is more complicated and engaging (duh, it's the core of the whole game). I infrequently notice the combat music. When I do, I comment to myself how great it is and dive back into the strategy. As a result, the non-AC music never grows tiresome and that's why I'll be keeping it all on.

The 2 other tunes will come out soon, so it will add more to it. Perhaps, in the future, they'll be more versions, with different arrangements. We'll see how it goes, and how Chris feels about it.

I'm sure the other 2 songs will help quite a bit. Variations on the AC themes would help even more. Not that it's a big issue, in any case. Now if the music was crappy.... ;)

Lovely atmospheric music Aleksi. Just a thought, but I always liked the idea of when you begin a mission, the music starts off neutral. If you are winning it becomes more jingoistic and tuneful, whist if you are loosing it becomes more frantic and alien-ey. Kind of gives a rough idea whether you are winning or not. Any chance of something like this being implemented?

Lovely atmospheric music Aleksi. Just a thought, but I always liked the idea of when you begin a mission, the music starts off neutral. If you are winning it becomes more jingoistic and tuneful, whist if you are loosing it becomes more frantic and alien-ey. Kind of gives a rough idea whether you are winning or not. Any chance of something like this being implemented?

Sure, i agree. But we talked about stuff like that with Chris a while back. For the moment, the engine doesn't really support this kind of luxury if i'm not mistaken, and it would also create a lot of extra work in the process. Perhaps in future Goldhawk Interactive games this will be possible. We'll see.