Alenium (As a source of energy).

Alenium doesn't have many uses right now. If Alenium really is a super battery and we have all these super conducting materials, possibly we can start getting electric powered "jets" and helicopters. By 1979 the electric engine was only not used for powering moving objects due to battery constraints. With Alenium all these constraints are gone. What I'm saying is that Alenium is such a useful material and the game is not using it to it's full potential. Does anyone else have any idea's for what Alenium could be used for?

Edit: Also all the research post says is that Alenium releases energy. How is this energy turned into a useable energy like electricity?

READ THIS PLEASE: A note to everyone to remove all comments about the Alenium bomb since Gorlom has kicked up a fuss. Also if you don't delete your post yourself I will have to go to Chris to get this thread cleaned up.:D

Edited by lordgiza

Alenium doesn't have many uses right now. If Alenium really is a super battery and we have all these super conducting materials, possibly we can start getting electric powered "jets" and helicopters. By 1979 the electric engine was only not used for powering moving objects due to battery constraints. With Alenium all these constraints are gone. What I'm saying is that Alenium is such a useful material and the game is not using it to it's full potential. Does anyone else have any idea's for what Alenium could be used for?

It IS used for these thinks, they just didn't added them and with the thinks that are actually IN the Game, like lasers, they just don't consume the alenium yet, but they will.

It IS used for these thinks, they just didn't added them and with the thinks that are actually IN the Game, like lasers, they just don't consume the alenium yet, but they will.

Care to add what YOU think a really good use for Alenium would be?

Edit: And do you know that Alenium will be used to power things other than weapons and what kind of things are we likely to see?

The main reason Alenium isn't used much is that most of the tech tree isn't even in the game yet.

Again, care to add any suggestions, this is what I'm asking for as well. Think weird and wacky but useful and cool.

Edit: Maybe something like an Alenium powered fast response long range rocket that can carry a small number of troops long distances in a short time, but they still have to be transported back to base. Kind of like the Space Shuttle.

Edited by lordgiza

Care to add what YOU think a really good use for Alenium would be?

Edit: And do you know that Alenium will be used to power things other than weapons and what kind of things are we likely to see?

Of the top of my head nothing comes to mind.

Since Alenium powered ships were in ufo i think they will be in here as well.

What also was in ufo and will likely come back:

Alenium powered armor, some with special abilities (Flying)

Edit: If they make it completely like Elerium (like in xcom) alenium will be a kind of fuel that has a high energy drop (was 99% in ufo)

Edited by Amaror

I'm not really sure. Being a game, Xenonauts focuses on things that serve gameplay and the setting/context which is mainly things that will help defeat the aliens so weapons, armour, etc.

You mentioned electric powered jets. We know that you'll be able to research advanced interceptors and dropships based on alien technology and those will almost certainly require Alenium as either construction material or fuel (or both).

More powerful wepons, vehicles (hover tech?), jump jet and power armour will also become available.

I'm not sure what "wacky" stuff could be added. Wormhole generators? Tesla Coils? Cloud Ionizers? Hyperpowered pogo sticks? Inexhaustible (as far as human life spans are concerned) light bulbs? Nothing practical comes to mind.

I'm reminded a little bit of two comics.

Project Morituri - The Earth is being invaded by a huge invasion fleet. Sounds familiar. Out matched technologically, scientists push the boundaries of bioengineering. The result is the Morituri process. Volunteers get some enhanced abilities with which to fight the alien horde. The downside is that the process is terminal and they will die sooner or later as the the process runs out of control (hey, Gorlom's alenium buildup!)

Suicide Squad - convicted felons have explosive devices attached to them. If they complete the mission then a certain amount of their sentence is removed. If they try to escape, blab about the organisation then the device is remote activated.

It also completely changes how you play the game AND makes the "killed soldiers has a chance to be revived at end of combat"-mechanic far less important.

I don't know. Some sticky tape, glue, Dr Frankenstein and Herbert West back at base and who says they can't be revived?

You can try to justify all this as much as you like. I still find it unrealistic, revolting and mechanicwise pointless and horrible for gameplay.

Of course, as soon as you can capture an Abductor type spaceship, you could always abduct a few of your own people and wire them up. If you can blame the aliens, then who would ever know? I have my eye on those local ground forces in the battlescape.

How would you trigger it remotely? How would this be represented ingame?

I imagine it uses the same signals as the the ones that run the Chinook without any pilots (although I prefer the skilled troopers option on that one myself)

Whew! managed the post without including the ethnic cleansing, medical experimentation horrors that this process hints at...oh, Bah!

Again just quickly:A note to everyone to remove all comments about the Alenium bomb since Gorlom has kicked up a fuss. Also if you don't delete your post yourself I will have to go to Chris to get this thread cleaned up.:D Because I'm not going to message everyone.

For anyone that is beeing confused about what thothkins is talking about: I kind of derailed this thread,

This can be applied in any post where you don't know what the hell I'm talking about. It's Gorlom's fault :-)

that aside, I'd rather leave my post where it is thanks all the same. I'm not a huge censorship fan, and I'm grown up enough to recognise if I've crossed any lines without someone else coming in and telling me otherwise.

to think I was planning to steer this one into reanimated zombie rookies fighting for you instead of fresh, live rookies. Bah! wasted on you! :-)

This can be applied in any post where you don't know what the hell I'm talking about. It's Gorlom's fault :-)

that aside, I'd rather leave my post where it is thanks all the same. I'm not a huge censorship fan, and I'm grown up enough to recognise if I've crossed any lines without someone else coming in and telling me otherwise.

to think I was planning to steer this one into reanimated zombie rookies fighting for you instead of fresh, live rookies. Bah! wasted on you! :-)

Haha that might be true but that's not due to me deleting my posts! It's just that in this case it was really derailing and didn't contribute to the discussion. (well atleast not untill your post showed up but we had already deceded to delete it by then)

I didn't mean for you to delete it. I kinda liked it =) It's jsut that it doesnt make sense without knowing that some posts has been deleted.

to the last paragraph i can only say: :P

more a response to

if you don't delete your post yourself I will have to go to Chris to get this thread cleaned up.
really. Mitts off my posts! :-)
It's jsut that it doesnt make sense

oh, that's Ok. I'll just add 'and I think we should be able to keep plasma weapons' to it and then it will be perfectly clear. That worked so well last time :-)

Does anyone have a suggestion for how the hand-held Alenium batteries and how they transfer the energy released to useable energy (like electricity)? It seems that Chris hasn't thought of it.

Edit: What about a highly efficient thermopile?

Edited by lordgiza