Introduction thread!

Chris

I'm delighted to see the forum bustling with activity. Our numbers have well-nigh tripled since I logged out this morning!

If I recall correctly, I made first contact with X-Com at the tender age of twelve way back in 1994, and I've been holding out for a worthy successor to the Mythos original for the good part of the new millennium. Having almost given up on one ever being released, I came across an interview with Xenonaut leader Chris on Rock, Paper, Shotgun and was taken by his clarity of vision: finally, a project based on a thorough understanding of what makes Enemy Unknown and games of its ilk tick.

Despite being a veteran of the 17-year Cydonian War, I'm a wretchedly inept tactician, hence the title. Once this game reaches the balancing phase, I'll keep my feet firmly planted on the lower rungs of the difficulty ladder, thank you very much.

Judging by some of the new user names, I'm no longer the sole Finn on this forum. There was a blurb type thing on Xenonauts and other indie hopefuls in the prominent Finnish gaming magazine Pelit a couple of issues back, which may have contributed to this influx of Finno-Ugric people. Then again, thanks in no small part to the aforementioned publication, turn-based strategy games are something of a national sport among old-school Finnish gamers: in 2003, Silent Storm was awarded Game of the Year by Pelit Magazine, and in 2007, its readership voted UFO: Enemy Unknown as the second best video game since the magazine's inception in 1992. Only in Finland! (And maybe Germany, I've heard they love their Jagged Alliance.)

My game collection spans hundreds of titles across various platforms (including console toys), but lately I've been mostly into beat 'em ups, point and click adventures and all things co-operative.

I'd also like to add that I like good music, but I never dance, and I hereby declare myself the ultimate authority on Anglodisco (as rock critic Robert Christgau eloquently put it) on these forums.

Edited by iamkyon
I love the smell of minor edits in the morning.

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for a week or two and figured it was about time I preordered, especially after the "Paypal Incident" (is that the follow-up after the Iceland incident?). In fact, I stumbled across Xenonauts a long time ago (a year or more?) and made a mental note to check in again, so here I am!

I'm ashamed to say I've never played the X-COM series, even though I really like that type of gameplay, but I've played some of the later clones (which was more or less successful).

I live in Denmark, working for LEGO as a software developer and my spare time is mostly spent playing computer games and pen-and-paper roleplaying games. During school or in my spare time, I have also manged to develop a few games and my head is always filled with more projects which I am (very) slowly working on.

Hi fellow squishy things.

I originate from Manchester UK. I am new to Xenonauts but a lifelong addict of ufo/xcom games. I think I must have tried every clone of its type, but for one reason or another they all fell flat at one point or another.

I am putting a lot of hope into Xenonauts, that this will finally be the one to bring the game into the 21 century and as such would like to wish Chris and his team a shed full of luck. :)

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to drop by and say hello. I lurk here often to check out the new news and I think that the community support here is awesome. My name is Adam and I modeled and textured all of the aliens in Xenonauts. I bet you all can't wait to frag some of them :)

Keep up the great support.

Just wanted to drop by and say hello. I lurk here often to check out the new news and I think that the community support here is awesome. My name is Adam and I modeled and textured all of the aliens in Xenonauts. I bet you all can't wait to frag some of them :)

Keep up the great support.

You've turned Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran fame into a martian! Can I rest assured that he still has all his fingers intact? I'd be suitably miffed if the band didn't make up for last summer's cancelled show!

Welcome all to the forums!

I'm relatively new, but I was in the old forums for a bit.

I'm your resident competitive gamer :) I love these older traditional TB games, but I am no push off when it comes to any other type of game (FPS, RTS, and more!) I have a few tournament wins under my belt as well.

I'm currently a QA Tester for a gaming company working on becoming a game designer in the future. For now I shall use my excessive skill to break games to good use! :)

Hello people!

Old time X-com fan, new time Xenonauts fan here! I'm really exited about where this game is going and think it looks marvelous so far, keep up the good job!

You probably wont see much of me on the forums.. I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but at least now you know who's doing the lurking around here ;) Who knows it might change when the new build comes out and I give the alpha a try.

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

Another old x-com player here, first played it on the playstation and was so addicted, I once played 30 hours straight. Can't do that anymore, missus and kids wouldn't like it.. :D I'm looking forward to playing this game, I've had a play around with the latest build and it looks great, the finished version should be a cracker.

Yeah, kind of lost touch with Bay12 for a while, just slowly getting back into it.

Going to have to look up that Magma Moses thing. All I ever did was execution towers (whee! Splat!).

I just liked the mermaid farming because of how...technically it was written. Cost and time approximations, profitability studies.

And Welcome to MacGyverDTH, Theros and Pinetree!

ZChris13 as well. Name is familiar, but not sure what its in connection too...

Hi Everyone,

Another old x-com player here, first played it on the playstation and was so addicted, I once played 30 hours straight. Can't do that anymore, missus and kids wouldn't like it.. :D I'm looking forward to playing this game, I've had a play around with the latest build and it looks great, the finished version should be a cracker.

Holy smoke, Pine. 30 hours straight? There aren't too many people who can say that. It's an achievement, regardless.