[ 10.2 ] Alenium - research

ok, I missed that. My bad.

Edit: I can't find it. All I see is that in the 10.1 release post it was disabled (after saying it was working, but that it's moot since it's disabled.)

Nothing about it in the 10.2 thread.

Edited by Gorlom

Alenium shouldn't be available from crashed UFOs if all Alenium containing objects are destroyed.

If the reactor survives the crash there is no reason you shouldn't be able to take it home.

Not all crashes would destroy everything of use on the ship.

I made a comment on this earlier - it's odd you can't research alenium w/o the power source.

There could be some easy lore "while the tech of the power source isn't all that advanced in and of itself, being able to observe it interacting with the alenium cells has given us the information we need to finally understand how alenium works in miniaturized objects such as weapons."

Maybe have the description of alenium include needing to understand a UFO power source as well.

the xenopedia says

firstly, that the structure of Alenium is incredibly stable and the element has a half-life of nearly a trillion years. Secondly, that the atomic chains contain frequent weak bonds that can easily be broken with precise application of energy (easily provided by a laser beam). This causes an incredibly powerful, but fully controllable, release of energy.

So, it sound like it's pretty stable stuff, that could be found in an inert state in a crashed UFO.

Also, it takes a precise application of energy to split it's weak bonds, suggesting that scientists firing things into it any old way wouldn't necessarily produce the breakthrough. So, it would take a captured power source to really get an idea of how to work the alenium.

So, I can see the need to understand the power source in order to really get much from the alenium. Xenonauts can't get into the plasma weaponry either, to see how the alenium woks in there.

A little look at the EU research tree tells me that you could research Elerium found without the Power source. Both would be needed for UFO construction, but the Elerium research was useful in it's own right.

I think that's what

precise application of energy
is supposed to imply. You need to see the alenium being worked by a functional alien device in order to understand just how to apply the energy precisely to it. In this case, the alien device is the power source. That's why it's a prerequisite to the alenium.

That's how I'm reading it this week anyway :-)

I'm not sure that it is, in game I mean. Off the top of my head, I don't think there's any mention of the alenium power being used for anything other than advancing technology for weapons, ships and armour. Which is what the game is geared towards I suppose.

I don't think there#s much plant in the base facilities. So showing heat from the alenium power source being absorbed by coolants and then used to drive turbines isn't really considered to be a key factor in the game, that I've seen. Big turbines would grace any base facilities map, not to mention the discount on your electricity bills that would appear at the end of the month's maintenance bills.

Anyone else up for a Xenonauts/Sim City hybrid?

ouch! I hate getting -snipped- :-)

Are there hand held batteries? No xenopedia in front of me here.

My understanding was that any hand held alenium sources, such as plasma pistol and rifle, couldn;t really be worked on as they couldn't find a way to remove the magazine.

That left the alenium recovered form crash sites or possible from within inert power sources. That couldn't fully be understood without working out how the power source worked. Without that, the researchers couldn';t figure out how best to apply the energy.

engaging a landed ship in 10.2 gave me a CTD, filed a bug report.

I think there needs to be some text on alenium like "omg power source, too bad we don't have a power core to figure out how to use it.". I posted some more realistic text in a thread in bug reports.