Pilots taking up space.

Hi!

This could be:-

- Some of your Xenonauts are also the pilots. When the battlescape generates you're seeing them just about to deploy from the Chinook having moved into their combat positions.

- The craft is controlled remotely by Xenonaut central - more of a stretch in a game based in 1977.

- The pilots have taken advantage of bargain shopping in the industrial set and free eggs in the farm set, both events set tantalisingly just off the battlescape.

- The pilots are there, but are hiding under the Chinook for added safety.

Really, you should also have to build toilets in your bases. But we've not included them because though it would be more realistic I don't really think it would add much to the game.

The air combat is not meant to be as involved as the ground combat, so the pilots are basically invisible in game terms. Just like the vehicle crews (and the toilets).

I'd also love to see Pilot skills. Additonally I'd also love to have scientist and engineer skills too, just liek Apocalypse.

But there would be an awful lot of work involved in implementing it.

I was about to wonder what the Chinook pilot skills would be other thn sitting in the cokpit eating doughnuts, while your troops got shot. Then I remembered that Chinooks get shot down now too. What about a Chinook intercept mission to at least give you a chance of getting away?

The chinook would be using the landscape to evade it's pursuers a la Independance Day, rahter than any real offensive or speed capability.

I'll add that into the Pile of the Unlikely along with scientist and engineer skills, shall I ? :-)

Really, you should also have to build toilets in your bases. But we've not included them because though it would be more realistic I don't really think it would add much to the game.

Actually, the expressions on the faces of the soldiers had made me think that the lack of toilets had been built into the backstory :-)

Too bad, would be fun if, during base defense, certain aliens could come through the crapper and catch some of your men with their pants down (literally). :P

Ick! Wasn't there a horror film where that happened? I absolutely refuse to google 'toilet horror' for more details.

In addition to the Blob From Beyond the U-bend, there's also aliens infiltration your base by pretending to be cleaning staff.

MICs - Men In Coveralls!

Who needs Kickstarter when you have a clear movie franchise right there? :-)

The Thing in the Canteen takes over your soldiers by putting some of itself into the mush that is passing itself off as dinner...

The air combat is not meant to be as involved as the ground combat, so the pilots are basically invisible in game terms. Just like the vehicle crews (and the toilets).

I demand a toliet on the chinook incase my xenonauts forgot to use the hidden toilet in the base before departure. I really don't want to hear "are we there yet? I need to pee" all the way to a mission.

:P

The Thing in the Canteen takes over your soldiers by putting some of itself into the mush that is passing itself off as dinner...

I think I've seen that movie. Some bacterial thingy found at one of the poles were the tastiest thing ever. The guys that found it packaged it as icecream or something and everyone became addicted to it. If you ate enough of it it hollowed you out and wore your skin pretending to be you, but inside it was just this bacterial goo.

Edited by Gorlom

Wouldn't they have been lumped in with the Living Quarters?

And evidently, apparently Xenonauts and Base personnel never need food.

Didn't see that scene...unless it was the recent release...

Anyways, that wouldn't be tactically sound, since the Xenonauts and Base Personnel never seem to have the need to eat.

Or they're all just starving...(possibly eating the dead alien bodies? Cause where are those things going after dissection...?)

And wouldn't the toilets be lumped into the Living Quarters?

And wouldn't the toilets be lumped into the Living Quarters?

Yes I would reckon they would. Possibly food and water is factored into the monthly wages. I would personally love to have pilot skills but I will have to live with just better aircaraft. Possibly instead of pilot skills though have re-searchable upgrades to existing aircraft?

And evidently, apparently Xenonauts and Base personnel never need food.

the truth is that the funding nations have found a way to simply clone the rookies. They are popped out with rubbish stats and red shirts and sent off to fight the alien hordes. They have no need of food or toilets or rec rooms or sunlight. Heck, most of them don;t live long enough that it's an issue. The base map says 'living quarters' but when you go in the door, it's just a line of vats.

Xenonauts 2; Return of the Sebillian's - where you can choose even female pilots

Awesome. Somehow, you've now managed to tarnish Xenonauts by showing us upgrades :-)

I was running with a quote from the 80's Thing film. Fuchs is talking to McReady in the vehicle about the implications of the Thing. He suggest that it would be best if they all ate out of cans. The reasoning is that, since each part of the thing can survive independently, then anything falling into the cooking could infect them all over a single meal. Very, very creepy.

Edited by thothkins

The idea of pilots getting XP has a lot of potential. Here are some bonuses for leveling up:

1). A small chance to evade enemy fire without using evasive roll.

2). A small chance to inflict critical damage on the UFO.

At higher levels the advantages will be massive and losing a high level pilot will be a disaster.

The idea of pilots getting XP has a lot of potential. Here are some bonuses for leveling up:

At higher levels the advantages will be massive and losing a high level pilot will be a disaster.

Chris has already shot that down. I believe the reasoning was that he wanted focus to be on ground battles and to keep the air battle simple.

I think there was something about aircrafts and pilot beeing the same thing from a code perspective as well, but that might have been in regards to a suggestion about ejecting... or upgradeing crafts to next tier?

Chris has already shot that down.

But would he have been able to if our pilots had better skills to evade? :-)

I felt that since you can now control the pilots, it minimised the need for there to be pilot skills. Of course, you can only control one craft at a time etc. so I'd not have been disappointed to see it.

I'll miss not fiddling around with scientist/ engineering skills a la apocalypse but that's pretty harsh bringing that up since this is a EU 'remake' (not that it will stop me endlessly doing so of course)

I think i saw Chris saying about not upgrading current interceptors to next tier because it will create a lot of problems.

Simple air combat? My irony meter is about to explode. Current air battles are complex and require careful planning and luck. Simple air combat = 2 plasma beams with a range of 52 kilometers:p

Then what would you do when you lose a squadron of your highly skilled pilots?

You would need to hire 3 rookie pilots who would stand little chance against enemies balanced to be a challenge to pilots with loads of additional skills.

Or if rookies stand a good chance against those enemies then levelled pilots would find them a walk over.

Most of those bonuses you have mentioned could just as easily be tied in to the advanced tech rather than tagged on to individual pilots.

That would give new pilots who were giving better planes just as much chance as your existing ones.

Then what would you do when you lose a squadron of your highly skilled pilots?

You have to do the same as when you lose a squadron of higly skilled soldiers - train the rookies and send them out on new missions...

Most of those bonuses you have mentioned could just as easily be tied in to the advanced tech rather than tagged on to individual pilots.

That would give new pilots who were giving better planes just as much chance as your existing ones.

But it would give skilled pilots a better fighting chance with an old airplane. Sometimes you have to go with the old option (when your fundings are getting low), but if you have a set of skilled pilots you can have a better fighting chance on a stronger enemy.

But this will have to be an option in the sequel :rolleyes:

The thing is air combat (especially involving missiles) is a lot less forgiving to the numbers game than tactical ground combat, where it's more reasonable to outwit a superior enemy.

If we were going to have pilots, I'd like them to be the equiv of alien non-combatants that are in your helicopter cockpit with pistols in combat missions... you really really don't want to take them outside, but this gives you a reasonable way of pulling out of a mission with all your soldiers dead without losing your ride (perhaps keep it a % chance). But that doesn't really seem worth the effort.

I think keeping them faceless/statless is for the best, but I definitely could see them taking up a living quarter spot each time you hire a new aircraft.

Edited by erutan