Flashbangs & Fatigue

Photec

Any way to add flashbangs and fatigue in to the game?

I'd love a non-lethal way to take out aliens, even for just a few turns, till the area is secured, so I can do some probing of my own.

Fatigue is a mechanic I'd love in the game. ATM I try to run around as much as possible, so I can gain as much APs as possible. Guess I'm not the only one, so I was thinking of adding this, which you gain from both lethal and non-lethal damage, running at full AP over time, panicing etc.

Just wondering :)

Edited by Photec
Just realized, this might not be the right part of the forum for this.

Flashbangs could work if we added suppression mechanics but other than that we can't fit them in the existing mechanics. Fatigue, I'm not really sold on right now. It seems a bit superfluous and probably not worth the time implementing.

AP points are basically fatigue. They drop the more actions you do in a given time period and the more you carry the faster your fatigue. No reason to implement?

Also there will be several non-lethal ways of taking out aliens - don't worry!

No he was stating that AP's go down as you perform actions in a turn and if you carry more you can do less.

That is a basic fatigue system already.

The only thing dedicated fatigue would do is make overworking your troops carry over from turn to turn.

You could represent that with stun damage if you felt like it.

Do too much and you take some stun damage, continue like that for too long and you become unable to act until you rest for a bit.

Seems unnecessary though.

Well, APs represent time and fatigue represents fatigue. I can see that it is potentially useful because soldiers cannot run indefinitely without getting tired, whilst they can stand in one place vritually indefinitely without getting too tired - but I never found fatigue particularly compelling in X-Com and I think it'd get annoying when there's a big map and you're down to a couple of soldiers.

Sometimes you have to travel long distances if you know where the last aliens are, but they've killed all the soldiers nearby, and making that slower than it already is would be a mistake. That's pretty much the only time when you need to travel a long way. All the other times, you're busy shooting at the aliens you've already found so fatigue isn't a massive issue...

Agree that a fatigue mechanism doesn't need to implemented, but some kind of AP loss due to damage (with some recovery with medkit use) could be useful at the highest difficulty setting - remembering my XCOM days that was always a bit of an exercise in masochism.

Fatigue must have been a pretty insignificant portion of the old x-com because although I know it was there I can't really actually remember it.

here are no moments of memory where I think "ah yeah that was a really fun mission because of that time someone got fatigued".

well how long do the missions take in real time? 5-10 minutes? elite infantry ought to be capable of sprinting in full battle dress, with weapon and pack for the duration of the mission and then some. if we are being realistic heart rate would be a much bigger factor.

p.s. i am not advocating including heart rate as a factor.