Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter Update and Steam

Yeah, I don't know why they aren't as common in.. other places. Everybody in Norway uses debit cards. Only old people carry cash these days.
    I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.

Coffin Stuffer
    Can't steal my bank account info if I use cash though. Or at least.. not nearly as easily.

Bank's have insurance, so that's not really a problem. And it doesn't really happen here anyway.
    What am I supposed to do with your account number? Deposit money? The only credible threat are scanners, and it's up to you to think about what you are doing.

Homicidal Breakfast Food Commissar Pancakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IceVamp View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why they aren't as common in.. other places. Everybody in Norway uses debit cards. Only old people carry cash these days.
    It's probably because all the damned banks have devised a dastardly scheme to charge their customers extra for overdrawn Credit cards. If you can't pay back the balance you used, you're fined on it, as well as having to pay interest on the fine.
    WARNING: This person will almost CERTAINLY inadvertently derail any conversation he participates in.

Commissar Pancakes' Channel of Random Blather:
    http://www.livestream.com/commissarpancakes?t=409905

Credit cards aren't the same as debit cards, though. Debit cards are basically just electronic money and all banks have some pretty serious fraud protection stuff in place so even if people do take your details, the bank takes the hit instead.

Credit cards are useful, but I don't own one. Not a fan of spending money I don't have.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Yup, don't confuse credit with debit. Debit cards spends your own money, from your own account. Some can be overdrawn, that depends on your bank. You usually pay a small (insignifcant) something for using the card in the shop, and a larger amount for withdrawing cash at an ATM/Cashpoint.

Coffin Stuffer
    Meh I just use cash mostly - can't spend what I don't have in the wallet.

The UK is an unusual case in that current accounts are usually free - if you have a debit card you don't pay anything extra for using it to buy things in shops, and nor is there any fees for withdrawing money from the majority of ATMs. Going overdrawn is expensive though.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Think it's mostly free in Sweden too (I dunno if smaller shops charge a fee for paying with card still). on the other hand the banks charge a yearly fee for haveing the card, instead on each transaction.

Colonel
    As a note for Credit Cards, set up a direct debit to pay them fully off monthly: Hey presto, delayed Debit Card with bonus added security.

And the banks hate you