Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Balance suggestion - Start the game with fewer experienced soldiers

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    We're not going to take training out. If you want to level guys up through combat instead then do so. It should actually cost $10,000 to train a soldier though so I guess we made a typo somewhere...

Smaller team sizes aren't really possible because the chinook tiles are already done, I'm afraid.
    I just checked this and it is in fact set to 10,000. Weird, I was so sure I saw it drop by only $1,000 when I was watching it yesterday. Maybe 10,000 isn't even enough then as you can see most of us hadn't even noticed how much it was costing! $15k might make a bit of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmakor View Post
    I just checked this and it is in fact set to 10,000. Weird, I was so sure I saw it drop by only $1,000 when I was watching it yesterday. Maybe 10,000 isn't even enough then as you can see most of us hadn't even noticed how much it was costing! $15k might make a bit of a difference.
    make it 20k at least then.

What about tieing starting soldier number, ranks, stats, cost and duration of training or maybe even its availability to the various difficulty settings?

No, I think $10k is fine. Given the time it takes I think it is balanced - it doesn't give that much of a boost. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Coffin Stuffer
    I find this thread amusing after my thread of hilarity about how the best of earth basically... suck. Oh the irony

Sergeant
    I expect that as the AI project progresses, missions should become a lot harder. Yes, at the moment they are a cakewalk (for me at least) but that's primarily because the current basic AI is too dense to put up a fight. I just flush them out and kill them with sniper fire.

In short, I think that it's way to early to make difficulty balance suggestions of this nature because boosting difficulty now will probably make things near impossible later when all the content (specifically AI) is in the game. When aliens start fighting as a group instead of individuals players will be glad to have a large team of trained soldiers for a mission.

Making the game more difficult by increasing the incompetence of Xenonaut soldiers doesn't sound like a very good idea anyhow. It's far better to make sure the aliens are not incompetent.
    Last edited by Akavit; 05-05-2012 at 19:28.

Colonel
    I agree with Akavit.

We need to wait for the AI at least before we start thinking about balance.

The current training is already there so it would take more work to remove it than to leave it.
    Hopefully there will be more point in the training system later.
    It is a bit underwhelming at the moment.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

I think starting with 6-8 works well, so you can adequately split into two groups to speed up exploration (plus having your tank run ahead and clear up reaction fire).

Homicidal Breakfast Food Commissar Pancakes's Avatar
    Any chance on nixing the tank in favor of 9 more guys?
    WARNING: This person will almost CERTAINLY inadvertently derail any conversation he participates in.

Commissar Pancakes' Channel of Random Blather:
    http://www.livestream.com/commissarpancakes?t=409905