Desura long-time troubles.

Does anybody else have considerable trouble with Desura?

Every update of Xenonauts, I am forced to uninstall and do a clean install of the game, because, not only does the verification take extreme amounts of time, but the Update DL usually just stops at a random point.

I've tried reinstalling Desura, and the entire folder is whitelisted for my security suite, so nothing should be hindering it. Yet the problem persists. Only full reinstall seems to work.

PS.

Why the hell was the cache for desura taking up 5gb? I only have Xenonauts on desura (it's also detected my Steam Amnesia copy).

It's odd, because I have no trouble with it whatsoever, but quite a few people seem to find it horrendous...

Aye. I generally don't mind different distribution services (like some people on the net), but Desura, so far, has been a bad experience.

I suppose there is a link floating around somewhere, but could I ask for a non-desura DL link for the latest build? It seems this time, even the full re-dl decided to stall on me at 97%.

EDIT. Nevermind. Somehow managed to force it through.

Edited by armabe

I think you need a whole lot of patience. I usually start the update, put my laptop somewhere out of the way and leave the house for whatever business I might have that day. Upon return, it's usually finished.

If only. First time this happened, the update sat at 95% for an entire day with no signs of finishing. Besides, if it takes that long for ~900mb, it's a problem with the client/service, and should be fixed (or avoided :D by consumers).

Sometimes during updates it hangs with a strange error, something like (I don't remember the exact error):

There was an error during the validation process (...). Could not get any data from mcf server.

When updating to version 9.5 the update process completed, but the state remained '0% updating' instead of 'Ready'

Closing the client and reopening it did not fix anything. It was possible to launch Xenonauts, so in the end it was no big deal.

After the update to version 10 everything went back to normal.

I'd say that Steam works way better than Desura.

Worked quite fine always. Never had any problems with it. It is of course as horendous an idea as Steam, Origin, and so on, but people seem to want webshop software installed :P

The time it takes to verify files is long, I have it on an SSD so I wonder what it'd be if it weren't ... I figure this is in part due to Xenonauts not using archives for its files and instead has close to 100k small files.

10.1 actually worked on it :-) Since my last download was without Desura, I had Sonar issues again. They apperaed as me being unable to name a base and the game freezing a couple of times before it made up it's mind to try and quarantine it. But, nothign to do with Desura this time round.

So, I actually got to play the build for a few hours. Yay!

Desure takes a while to prepare the download or whatever its doing, I am talking about 15 minutes give or take in which its continuously reading from the hard drive, I have a relatively ok computer with Windows 7 64bit - Q6600[2.4ghz quad], 8gigs of ram, ATI 4870 1gig..really no reason it should be acting like that.

Day has passed and nobody here has a "solution" or some advice please? It had to happens now that I want to try the v10, but theeeeen they releseaed v10.2 so I had to manually delete the folder again and wait DECADES for Desura to download the game.

Neither I have a bad specs comp or a low speed connection (quad core with nice memory and SATA to an SDD and 10 Mps) I need an explanation :_______________________________(

All I want is, to be able to update the game via Desura without any errors or excessive waiting.

I've found that:-

Every stage is going to take a bit of time. If, like me, you've been bouncing between downloading the full thing and using Desura, then it's going to take much longer to verify the files.

- Shutting down and restarting Desura seems to help, rather than perservering with it when it gives error messages.

- Not choosing it's recommended update option seems to help too. I choose the thrid one whatever that was

- Patience as it has a heck of a lot of files to upload, again especially that first time.

- Having plenty of hard disk space also seems to help, as it seems to be a bit precious about such things.

FranTorres have you tried to download the zip file instead?

My dear Gorlom, never tried that o.O, I might as well give it a try. I just thought it would be easier and or quicker to let the program do the updates. Thanks, I'll try that with the next versions available to download.

30 minutes of "validating" and many other checks for what? downloading a tiny hotfix for 10.2...

worst downloading platform ever, and i can't even play other games because of the cpu usage during these checks. -.-'

no chance to bring it over steam when the alpha/beta gets more stable?

Desura was probably not designed with a set up like Xenonauts in mind.

All those tiny image files to be scanned etc.

Even when validating I don't have the sort of problems a lot of people here seem to have.

It takes a while but doesn't cause any slowdown on other programs, it just chugs along quite merrily in the background.

Xenonauts is ONLY game on Desura that has problems with updating for me :P Every other game works fine so please don't blame Desura for it.

Though yeah, I guess its because Xenonauts is rather huge game since most Desura games are obscure indie titles so they don't need much time validating and stuff.

I have the same problem as original poster - the game is sometimes bugged after update and a clean install is needed.

But I also confirm what XenoMask said, I have other games on Desura and they work fine.

So I guess it's just what other people have said - the amount of files Xenonauts has is causing the trouble.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

did update xenonauts (to v10), checked via option tab showing 4 may 2012. I noted the 10.21 is may 8th. I performed uninstall and install (install had troubles), upon completion says v10 and 4 may 2012. I guess I have to find the information about the zip download option.

R