Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desura long-time troubles.

Desura long-time troubles.

Does anybody else have considerable trouble with Desura?

Every update of Xenonauts, I am forced to uninstall and do a clean install of the game, because, not only does the verification take extreme amounts of time, but the Update DL usually just stops at a random point.

I've tried reinstalling Desura, and the entire folder is whitelisted for my security suite, so nothing should be hindering it. Yet the problem persists. Only full reinstall seems to work.

PS.
    Why the hell was the cache for desura taking up 5gb? I only have Xenonauts on desura (it's also detected my Steam Amnesia copy).

It's odd, because I have no trouble with it whatsoever, but quite a few people seem to find it horrendous...
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

For me its fine. No problem at all....

The update process works fine for me, but i must say that Desura takes quite a long time to prepare the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It's odd, because I have no trouble with it whatsoever, but quite a few people seem to find it horrendous...
    Aye. I generally don't mind different distribution services (like some people on the net), but Desura, so far, has been a bad experience.

I suppose there is a link floating around somewhere, but could I ask for a non-desura DL link for the latest build? It seems this time, even the full re-dl decided to stall on me at 97%.

EDIT. Nevermind. Somehow managed to force it through.
    Last edited by armabe; 05-04-2012 at 14:46.

I think you need a whole lot of patience. I usually start the update, put my laptop somewhere out of the way and leave the house for whatever business I might have that day. Upon return, it's usually finished.

Quote Originally Posted by The New Romance View Post
    I think you need a whole lot of patience. I usually start the update, put my laptop somewhere out of the way and leave the house for whatever business I might have that day. Upon return, it's usually finished.
    If only. First time this happened, the update sat at 95% for an entire day with no signs of finishing. Besides, if it takes that long for ~900mb, it's a problem with the client/service, and should be fixed (or avoided by consumers).

Awards:
    Posting Award
    Gaaaaahhhh! Desuraaaaaaa! That pretty much sums up my experience with them. I see that download without desura is sitting at 10, while there's a 10.1 available. So I'll try to use it yet again.

Sometimes during updates it hangs with a strange error, something like (I don't remember the exact error):

There was an error during the validation process (...). Could not get any data from mcf server.

When updating to version 9.5 the update process completed, but the state remained '0% updating' instead of 'Ready'
    Closing the client and reopening it did not fix anything. It was possible to launch Xenonauts, so in the end it was no big deal.

After the update to version 10 everything went back to normal.

I'd say that Steam works way better than Desura.

Worked quite fine always. Never had any problems with it. It is of course as horendous an idea as Steam, Origin, and so on, but people seem to want webshop software installed

The time it takes to verify files is long, I have it on an SSD so I wonder what it'd be if it weren't ... I figure this is in part due to Xenonauts not using archives for its files and instead has close to 100k small files.