Soviet Weapons

XenoNUT

Quick and dirty hack to get the Soviet Weapons Chris released the artwork for into the game.

All of the Soviet weapons have been given their own ammo types with the exception of the shotgun and the rocket launcher.

Stock weapons were left alone. In general the magazine sizes are smaller than stock weapons (sniper, shotgun, pistol).

The shotgun I think was just supposed to be a 'generic Soviet shotgun' but the closest in appearance that I was able to find is a Baikal MP-153 (semi-auto gas operated):

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/rus/mp-153-e.html

I could not find any information as to when this shotgun was first manufactured so I have no idea if this is "lore friendly"/historically correct. Also all weapons use existing sprites so although it does not look like a pump action in the artwork you will still see your Xenonauts cycling the action.

To remove run the soviet_uninstall batch file in your Xenonauts install folder.

Have fun!

https://db.tt/crGSCj4n

Edited by XenoNUT
Updated link

Doesn't replace anything, just adds the Soviet weapons alongside the existing ones. I imagine eventually the stats will all get tweaked and we could have custom firing sounds and whatnot. At this point they are mainly just copies of the stock weapons, with different names, gui/combat images and different ammo.

There is a batch file which copies the animation sprites from the other weapons, it takes a while to copy them all (6 weapons X 3 types of armor) however it was better than the alternative which was including them in the download. With all the files the download goes from 342KB to 160MB! so the longer install won out. Besides, at this point the animations are all the same as stock, so why bother?

Actually the information I first posted was wrong, it was something I tried that didn't work.

However if you made a new folder for each new weapon that contained only a spectre file that directed all of the animations to one of the existing folders that should work I think.

For example units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.AK47 would contain an exact copy of the soldier_spectre file from the assault rifle folder.

That would mean any time the game looked for an animation for someone using the AK47 it would use the assault rifle animations without having to duplicate the files wouldn't it?

Edited by Gauddlike

Thanks Gauddlike I hadn't even looked at the contents of soldier_spectre. I've updated the batch file so it just copies soldier_spectre.xml from each of the stock folders to the corresponding Soviet weapon folder. As a result the install is much quicker. Also, less bloat! :D

Just a note for those who run 64-bits. When you install this, remember to change directory structure to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts

What? Are you thinking about correcting the install location for the mod? If so, fine. But if the game needs to be installed at that location for the mod to work, we're in trouble here. :P

LOL Yes well the installer (really just WinRAR self-extracting exe) does tell you to change the install path to match your Xenonauts install folder. I'm not running 64-bit so for me it's just C:\Program Files\Desura\Common\xenonauts.

S. Alex - you should be able to download the file without registering. But you have to wait for a countdown, I think it is 20 or 30 seconds. Actually I am looking for another file hosting site, I have seen a lot of people using box.net - what do others recommend?

S. Alex - you should be able to download the file without registering. But you have to wait for a countdown, I think it is 20 or 30 seconds.

No, i'm should to sign up or register on this site before download.

1.jpg

Actually I am looking for another file hosting site, I have seen a lot of people using box.net - what do others recommend?

I suggest www.depositfiles.com. Easy to upload, easy to download. Only problem is a difficult capcha.

1.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.c5fa87bfba48aab45217d3093398

S. Alex - you should be able to download the file without registering. But you have to wait for a countdown, I think it is 20 or 30 seconds. Actually I am looking for another file hosting site, I have seen a lot of people using box.net - what do others recommend?

I use Mediafire, no problems with it whatsoever.No 60 second waits, no captchas or any thing like that.

Also:

Per Quartermaster and jimbobfury's suggestions in this post, AK-47 has been made higher damage but less accurate and with less AP for burst fire, RPG-7 has been made lighter but single use (no reload).

Edited by XenoNUT

I have been fiddling with the soviet weapons a bit myself and I think I have come up with nice stuff for the RPG-7. The first is an image for RPG-7 specific ammunition which looks like this (click on it to get a good look):

RPG7_heat.png

This is what I am using for the weapon stats of the RPG in weapons_gc:

<Weapon name="weapon.rpg7" bulletType="rocket" emptySound="Empty Click 1">

<props range="20" hands="2" recoil="65" weight="7" clipSize="1" reloadAPCost="20" reactionModifier="0.5" reloadSound="Weapon Rocket Launcher Reload" />

<SingleShot sound="Weapon Rocketlauncher Single" delay="1.2">

<Set1 ap="21" accuracy="65" />

<Set2 ap="25" accuracy="80" />

</SingleShot>

<BurstFire />

<GUIImage name="weapons/ballistic/soviet/RPG7_black.png" />

<GroundImage name="grounditemimages/rocketlauncher.png" />

<Ammos>

<Ammo name="weapon.rocket.rpg7heat" type="kinetic" damage="70" stunDamage="40" mitigation="45">

<Projectile spectre="projectiles/rocket" speed="1200" />

<Impact spectre="particles/explosion/explosion" gasType="RocketFragSmoke" fireChance="40" smokeChance="75" radius="2.5" sound="Weapon Rocketlauncher Explosion" />

</Ammo>

</Ammos>

</Weapon>

As for weapons.xml the following are the main pionts for the parameters of the rpg rocket:

Weight = 5

SlotWidth = 4

SlotHeight = 1

I also made the following adjustments to the vanilla rocket launcher:

Weight = 11

Weight of rockets = 2.5

This set up makes the RPG ideal for if you want a one shot AT weapon, but inferior to the vanilla rocket launcher otherwise (the RPG +1 extra rocket is about the same weight for the vanilla rocket rocket launcher +1 rocket and inferior in accuracy).

RPG7_heat.png.05539495d6ea409744ede64fcb

• 3 weeks later...

Uh, hi. First-time poster here. (For reference, I DL'ed the 10.2 build from the Kickstarter page a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing the heck out of it ever since. I'm stoked to see all those features funded! Though my employment situation means I may have to hold off on pre-ordering the game itself for a while.... :()

Anyway, I thought I'd better raise out some issues with this mod:

- With Soviet Weapons installed, I can't use burst-fire on the M16 in the full-demo play.* (It's not a major issue for the moment, since my troops were all slinging AKs anyway. "Welcome to Earth, Marvin: let me introduce you to a little thing called 'rock and roll'." :cool: Nonetheless, I thought the modders needed the data.)

- I started building laser-carbines and charge-packs at my primary base, but when I went to equip my troops with them, hitting the 'laser' tab in the weapons menu crashed the game. Are infantry lasers implemented yet, or was this an issue with the mod itself? :confused:

* Just read through the 'bugs' forum - I think this may be part of the same known issue.

Edited by Death by Chains

Thanks, hadn't seen any issue with the "Assault Rifle" being able to burst fire with Soviet Weapons pack installed... did you try pressing "B" to switch between single and burst fire? Sometimes clicking on the single/burst icons doesn't work as intended, that's a known game bug.

As to the laser crash, yeah I think I inadvertently broke that editing one of the files. I've confirmed that the lasers work again after uninstalling the Soviet Weapons. I plan on updating the mod when Chris releases the next alpha build and will make sure that lasers are working.

Thanks, hadn't seen any issue with the "Assault Rifle" being able to burst fire with Soviet Weapons pack installed... did you try pressing "B" to switch between single and burst fire? Sometimes clicking on the single/burst icons doesn't work as intended, that's a known game bug.

I tried both methods, then targeting aliens or even random walls to test burst-fire. I'll give it another go in a few minutes the report back, just to check I hadn't done something simple (like not having enough APs available for burst-fire), but in the meantime: no, I don't recall it working once, no matter what I tried. :(

EDIT: After a quick test, durr, me no can brain - me am have teh dumb. It looks like it was a simple matter of not having enough APs. After using the AKs so much, and becoming so used to having burst-fire for ~15 APs, the M16's high burst-fire cost was throwing me off. :rolleyes:

Of course, I applied the SovWeaps mod as soon as I tried the full demo mode, and I'm equipping every member of my team with Jackal armour, an AK and a spare mag, and two grenades 'just in case', so the 'burst-and-move' tactics I carried over from JA2 v1.13 meant I was learning/reinforcing habits that were/are probably unsuited to vanilla Xenonauts. Certainly they incline me to think RotGtIE has a pretty good case, at least at the current stage of development.

As to the laser crash, yeah I think I inadvertently broke that editing one of the files. I've confirmed that the lasers work again after uninstalling the Soviet Weapons. I plan on updating the mod when Chris releases the next alpha build and will make sure that lasers are working.
Cool to hear. (I'd need to pre-order to have access to that same build, but that's a financial problem on my end, not a coding issue. ;)) Edited by Death by Chains

• 2 years later...