Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Soviet Weapons

Uh, hi. First-time poster here. (For reference, I DL'ed the 10.2 build from the Kickstarter page a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing the heck out of it ever since. I'm stoked to see all those features funded! Though my employment situation means I may have to hold off on pre-ordering the game itself for a while.... )

Anyway, I thought I'd better raise out some issues with this mod:
    - With Soviet Weapons installed, I can't use burst-fire on the M16 in the full-demo play.* (It's not a major issue for the moment, since my troops were all slinging AKs anyway. "Welcome to Earth, Marvin: let me introduce you to a little thing called 'rock and roll'." Nonetheless, I thought the modders needed the data.)
    - I started building laser-carbines and charge-packs at my primary base, but when I went to equip my troops with them, hitting the 'laser' tab in the weapons menu crashed the game. Are infantry lasers implemented yet, or was this an issue with the mod itself?

* Just read through the 'bugs' forum - I think this may be part of the same known issue.
    Last edited by Death by Chains; 06-11-2012 at 13:06.

Portlandia, Cascadia ___________ Wet Coast USA
    Thanks, hadn't seen any issue with the "Assault Rifle" being able to burst fire with Soviet Weapons pack installed... did you try pressing "B" to switch between single and burst fire? Sometimes clicking on the single/burst icons doesn't work as intended, that's a known game bug.

As to the laser crash, yeah I think I inadvertently broke that editing one of the files. I've confirmed that the lasers work again after uninstalling the Soviet Weapons. I plan on updating the mod when Chris releases the next alpha build and will make sure that lasers are working.
    I'm not really one of those loony tinfoil-hat, black helicopter, UFO types... just not very creative.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoNUT View Post
    Thanks, hadn't seen any issue with the "Assault Rifle" being able to burst fire with Soviet Weapons pack installed... did you try pressing "B" to switch between single and burst fire? Sometimes clicking on the single/burst icons doesn't work as intended, that's a known game bug.
    I tried both methods, then targeting aliens or even random walls to test burst-fire. I'll give it another go in a few minutes the report back, just to check I hadn't done something simple (like not having enough APs available for burst-fire), but in the meantime: no, I don't recall it working once, no matter what I tried.

EDIT: After a quick test, durr, me no can brain - me am have teh dumb. It looks like it was a simple matter of not having enough APs. After using the AKs so much, and becoming so used to having burst-fire for ~15 APs, the M16's high burst-fire cost was throwing me off.

Of course, I applied the SovWeaps mod as soon as I tried the full demo mode, and I'm equipping every member of my team with Jackal armour, an AK and a spare mag, and two grenades 'just in case', so the 'burst-and-move' tactics I carried over from JA2 v1.13 meant I was learning/reinforcing habits that were/are probably unsuited to vanilla Xenonauts. Certainly they incline me to think RotGtIE has a pretty good case, at least at the current stage of development.

Quote Originally Posted by XenoNUT View Post
    As to the laser crash, yeah I think I inadvertently broke that editing one of the files. I've confirmed that the lasers work again after uninstalling the Soviet Weapons. I plan on updating the mod when Chris releases the next alpha build and will make sure that lasers are working.
    Cool to hear. (I'd need to pre-order to have access to that same build, but that's a financial problem on my end, not a coding issue. )
    Last edited by Death by Chains; 06-14-2012 at 06:37.

Have been looking for a mod like this one.

So is it compatible with 1.06 and still up to date balance wise? Btw why have you decided to not make the RPG reloadable?

Achievements:
    Weekling
    Oof, didn't even notice this was two years old, no wonder it was causing ctd. Would like an update, but the maker is probably long gone.

Is there any other mod around that adds the alternative weapons to the game without replacing the old ones? Or a tool/explained way to be able do add them yourself?

The second option would even be preferred by me as I feel the game also lacks Carbines and SMGs for a really believeable fluff. I know development time is limited and focused on the core principles but without a doubt you can get so much more out of this game.
    Last edited by Cold; 06-21-2014 at 14:55.

Hi, i get a crash to desktop while trying to run the game with this mod, any idea why?

Commander
    The mod is *very* old and not compatible with the released version of the game.
    Mods and Map Packs:
    - Fire in the Hole! Destructible UFO Hulls and Dynamic UFO Assaults (Complete)
    - Enhanced Crash Sites (Complete)
    - Dynamic UFO Spawns (Complete)
    - Random Maps! (Sort of Complete)
    - Modular, fully destructable UFOs - Join the Discussion!

Portlandia, Cascadia ___________ Wet Coast USA
    Quote Originally Posted by kabill View Post
    The mod is *very* old and not compatible with the released version of the game.
    kabill's right, this is quite an old thread and mod(over 2 years- wow, hard to believe it's been that long!) and I have not been following the forums for a while. Now that the game's officially been released on Steam I thought I'd check back. I remember there was a weapon editor in the works by a forum user called QuarterMaster, don't know what ever happened to that but I could never get it to work on my pc. Anyway I am working on releasing this for v1.06, only thing I haven't figured out yet is the animations. kabill seems like the kind of guy who might be able to help out with that

In the old version I could just copy the soldier_spectre.xml from /assets/units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.rifle/ to a folder for the new weapon, say /assets/units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.rifle_ak47/

I'm no longer finding soldier_spectre.xml there but there is one in /assets/tiles.
    Unfortunately putting that in the new weapon folder turns my Xenonauts into ghosts. And just copying the .pngs for the animations from another weapon doesn't seem to work either... end up with a soldier that appears to be unarmed, but can still say, fire off an RPG-7 round.

So, I am still looking into it but for now I am going to bed! Will update this thread if I have any breakthroughs- suggestions more than welcome!
    I'm not really one of those loony tinfoil-hat, black helicopter, UFO types... just not very creative.

Unfortunately QuarterMasters weapon editor also was not updated at least since a year ago and might never be since he seems to have abandoned the project.

Backed the game as soon as I got an idea of it's potential but waited for a long, long time until the official release to finally play it, since I'm not so much a beta tester guy. It's sad to see that a lot of the promising mods from back then won't work anymore. now that the game is officially finished.

Max_Caine tried as well 2 years ago to get behind the secret of adding weapons in his thread but being not a techy I can't make head or tail of the outcome.

I keep my fingers crossed that you find a way to make it XenoNUT. Thanks for your dedication.
    Last edited by Cold; 06-26-2014 at 13:43.