Female Soldiers

The only argument against women in the game is the time and effort involved to add them.

If someone is willing to take that work on then great.

It is a sacrifice the devs of an indie team had to make that a AAA studio probably wouldn't have had to.

The other side of the coin is that a AAA studio would probably rush out a substandard, watered down, less interesting version of the game.

Hopefully if someone does manage to add the female troops the style will mesh well with the current visuals.

If it doesn't then it will be one to avoid for me as I would find it better to not have them than to have them not look right.

Is it possible to just add some female face pictures and maybe add an option to let players use them? Yeah, the sprites and paper doll would be dudes but it would still be neat during missions. Seems like an easy way to give the people the option to at least pretend there is female soldiers, while not breaking the realism for other players or adding a ton of work for the devs.

NullOrdo what you suggest is very easy to modd in yourself if you have the pictures.

Wait are you asking to get picures drawn by Goldhawkinteractive's artist or just to be able to use any picture?

Well true, I guess this game is going to be heavily user moddable. It wouldn't be too bad to import any kind of picture I guess but the consistency in artwork would be nice. Plus, I think the art style in this game is very cool.

Ok Gorlom, wonder no more... :o

I will add though, the fact there are no female soldiers is, in my not so humble opinion, just another of the wonderful little jems I've learned about Xenonauts so far.

So that he wants to be able to modify his (and only his) personal play experience to include female soldiers angers you so much you need to verbally attack his person? o.0

Was my post lacking tac, yes, very. Was I singling out any one person only, no. Will I post something stupid like that again in my life time, most likely as I drink & post only. Sometimes, opinions are like elbows and are better left unsaid, agree'd...

I look forward to the finished game, it looks like a real winner, cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly can't say I care much for the "it was the 70s"-argument. I find it silly. I'd love to have female characters in the game nontheless. It's not about the realism "because it's historical". I'm sorry but aliens weren't invading earth in the 70s either. We can allow ourselves some creative liberties. Females add variety, and the bottom line is: They were in the original game too.

... With that said, I completely understand what Chris is saying. It would just be way too much effort at this point. Maybe it can be done at a later time, or modders could try their luck with it. As for now, it's completely acceptable, and we all understand why it's not being done anytime soon.

But yes, female characters would be a benefit somewhere down the road, eventually. I'm sure you agree with that too, Chris. :)

Well to be fair the arguments for not having female soldiers are all game world justifications for why they are not there, rather than reasons to leave them out.

I don't think anyone here would complain if female soldiers were in and certainly not ask for them to be removed.

We know they are not going to be there so people have come up with in game reasons to explain it away.

You can use any game world justification you want instead of the 70's suggestion.

No one is seriously saying that is why female soldiers should be left out.

They are simply saying 'well as they aren't here we could say its because of <insert reason here>'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
If you ever need help with names etc, give me a shout. I have huge lists of surnames, first names won't be too much of a drama :) . I can also show you how to get female names matching to female portraits.

When I have the female mod finished I sure could need some help with the name - thanx.

I'm sorry but aliens weren't invading earth in the 70s either.

Because they arrived in the 1940s and had already signed their accords by the early 1950s of course :-)

I'd love to see female troops in the game. It's only a matter of time before a mod is going to change the setting and backstory, so such a resource would be of huge benefit.

You could always put a Purist Cold Warrior on the options menu. There are no women. There are no aliens. But there are russians with little alien masks on to fight.

going with an MJ-12 analogy to X-Com/ xenonauts, I imagine some of the soldiers having some intelligence/ scientific backgrounds. This would aid analysis, retrieval, disinformation and suppression of locals in addition to the military skills they bring. That being the case, then why couldn't there be women as part fo the group?

A slight stray form pure cold war territory, but then so was the Iceland incident.

We have been over this: It requires alot of work makeing, rendering and drawing the sprites!

meaning issue in incorporating them into the game background of the 1970s, not meaning to have them coded into the original game, as this, as you say , has been well covered.