Female Soldiers

Nope, it's not changed. We'd still like to do it but the amount of effort required would be ridiculous. And if we can't get the battlefield models for women, I don't want to add names and portraits for women because it would look like we'd done a half-assed job...

Also Xenonauts is set in the late 70's... Outside of a few guerrilla armies women simply did not serve in combat roles in any nations armed forces nevermind an elite, high risk, special forces team.

Come to think of it I've got to wonder if even today any women are serving in units like the SAS, Seals, Green Berets, JF2, Foreign Legion, KSK, Spetznaz or any other special forces units.

In Sweden, you have the "Nationella Insatsstyrkan" (National Task Force) which is essentially similar to the ones you mentioned, albeit Police, not military. They accept women, but there are unfortunately few women that reach the physical demands of the force. But there are women serving there. Just a little off topic notion :P

Israel has a relatively small population and great need for a military so I expect they have quite a few women serving. I think I saw a documentary some years ago with a female tank driver (or something tank related) in the IDF.

Edit:

Yep.

Israel is the only nation to conscript women and assign some of them to infantry combatant service which places them directly in the line of enemy fire.

In 2000, the Equality amendment to the Military Service law stated that the right of women to serve in any role in the IDF is equal to the right of men. Women have taken part in Israel’s military before and since the founding of the state in 1948, Women started to enter combat support and light combat roles in a few areas, including the Artillery Corps, infantry units and armored divisions. A few platoons named Karakal were formed for men and women to serve together in light infantry. By 2000 Karakal became a full-fledged battalion. Many women would also join the Border Police.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Defense_Forces#Women

Women in the Israeli Defense Forces are female soldiers who serve in the Israel Defense Forces. Israel is the only country in the world with a mandatory military service requirement for women. Women have taken part in Israel’s military before and since the founding of the state in 1948, with women currently comprising 34% of all IDF soldiers, fulfilling various roles within the Ground, Navy and Air Forces. The 2000 Equality amendment to the Military Service law states that "The right of women to serve in any role in the IDF is equal to the right of men." Currently, 88% of all roles in the IDF are open to female candidates, while women can be found in 69% of all positions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Israel_Defense_Forces

800px-Flickr_-_Israel_Defense_Forces_-_Karakal_Winter_Training.jpg

All women in Xenonauts could've been IDF. :P

Edited by Jean-Luc

Hmmmm this is interesting. While this is true, it's a bit much asking the devs to make a whole sprite sheet for the 1 or 2 women who might be in your team from the IDF =p

Plus (not that I agree with this) some people don't think women should be in combat, or that they would be some of the top soldiers in the world. That's bigotry at its worst, really

The IDF also has to deal with the actual reason women aren't allowed in combat roles by most of the worlds militaries; men losing discipline when female units get into trouble. The different physical natures of the genders are a factor, but set limits for both genders would negate that concern. It's a genetic trait of male humans to try to protect women though, our species considers females more important than males on a biological level, and we haven't evolved past that yet. So female soldiers being wounded tends to make male soldiers go a bit berserk.

There are other concerns of course, but as far as I can tell they're mostly societal rather than tactical or physiological. Which means in a severe enough situation, we'd get past it, and the ones who couldn't would... cease to be a factor.

There are distinct biological aspects to it though, that are difficult to overcome. Especially as we as individuals are reluctant to explore and acknowledge just how far and in what ways our biological, 'animal' natures influence us. Personally I think the attempt should be made though, in all aspects. I entirely support equality for all (opportunity, not outcome) but realising the problems and accepting the realities of them is the best way to figure out how to adapt around such issues. Facing up to something comes before dealing with it. The current trend of of trying to ignore issues and screaming at anyone who tries to point out that there even is a problem does not lead to any solution, which is itself a problem that, of course, doesn't get acknowledged and will get you screamed at...

• 2 weeks later...