Female Soldiers

If so I could understand the notes about too mutch makeup. As long as the portrait is a still image, I assume the picture is from a ID picture; Correct me if I am wrong, but most people try their best to look as nice as possible on a ID picture.

But all input are welcome - no offence taken.

--O--

As far as I understand it the picture is used both for the paperdoll in the soldier equip screen and the headshot image in the ground battle. I don't particularly mind the makeup but every so often one or two of the pictures you provide has REALLY heavy makeup.

And even if they would like to look their best, as soldiers they should probably be weary about wearing makeup on pictures incase that will make the higher ups not take them seriously. I don't think it gives a professional impression in a military organization.

I think that you have done amazing work so far. If I gave it a shot i wouldn't come up with something like that nomatter how long I took and you're creating them in no time at all (tbh I dont even kow where to begin). The only issues I have is the heavy makeup on a few of the pictures and that the lack of blackoutline makes them look significantly different from the figures already ingame. Neither are really large issues and if you did a mod to include your images I would most likely enjoy it all the same.

Edited by Gorlom

I think that you have done amazing work so far. If I gave it a shot i wouldn't come up with something like that nomatter how long I took and you're creating them in no time at all (tbh I dont even kow where to begin). The only issues I have is the heavy makeup on a few of the pictures and that the lack of blackoutline makes them look significantly different from the figures already ingame. Neither are really large issues and if you did a mod to include your images I would most likely enjoy it all the same.

I have been trying to make the pictures more like the original, but I have to work more with the filters.

Here are an example:

nor02_portrait-belgium copy.jpg

and a couple of screenshoot as it would look in the game:

Clip0002.jpg

Clip0008.jpg

--O--

nor02_portrait-belgium copy.jpg

Clip0002.jpg

Clip0008.jpg

577e7c83703ae_nor02_portrait-belgiumcopy

Clip0002.thumb.jpg.8a8550f76218d4080f66a

Clip0008.thumb.jpg.3a59bbfb60ba2f1d0a9bb

Edited by oracle1990
New screenshot

As far as I understand it the picture is used both for the paperdoll in the soldier equip screen and the headshot image in the ground battle.

I have to "arrest" you there. The same face is used, but not from the same directory. The Faces from the directory "Faces" are used as portrait, while the face in the directory as the armour is used as portrait for the paperdoll.

I think a picture say more than 1000 words.

Basic Armour

Clip0004.jpg

Buzzard Armour

Clip0006.jpg

Faces

Clip0007.jpg

--O--

Clip0004.jpg

Clip0006.jpg

Clip0007.jpg

Clip0004.thumb.jpg.f1073d2a2a5087a939496

Clip0006.thumb.jpg.086b5d4b993c54c7fb6cd

Clip0007.thumb.jpg.44a38ed1d43206aa63ec9

True but then wouldn't creating 2 different looks for the same soldier cause confusion and be additional work for you?

And I still want to argue that women wouldn't wear (heavy) makeup for their "file photo" since this is likely to give a negative impression to any officer higher up in the chain of command. Especially the considering the timeperiod where women weren't seen as soldiers at all.

Presuming that this actually goes forward, how about releasing the original models (where relevant) so modders could actually do the rendering work themselves?

Personal preference:

- Slimmer model, facial color and little bit of hair visible

- Female voices

- Discreet portraits that match the original style

Would be nice to see the same variety applied to male combat models as well. So at least the skin/hair color would be visible to differentiate them from each other.

Of course most of the time you don't see any of the details in combat, so eh.

- Female voices

voices? Is there even any male soldier voices in game?

- Slimmer model, facial color and little bit of hair visible

Are we talking facial hair? armpits? unshaved legs? :P

Sorry about the joke but where exactly are you talking about ? the face portrait? the paper doll or the combatmission view?

Would be nice to see the same variety applied to male combat models as well. So at least the skin/hair color would be visible to differentiate them from each other.

That is a option that is NOT going to be implemented...

Here is the files needed for Basic armour with shotgun and you can see the structure of the animations you need for Basic armour (only).

Clip0010.jpg

All these animation for each playable figure in the game? Aiaiai... Nah, I would chicken out...

--O--

Clip0010.jpg

Clip0010.jpg.0696d0b7f8f4784ef4d92b4af13

Adding outlines in Photoshop is as easy as adding a Stroke to it. You can automate it for a bunch of files using the Actions control panels and Droplets - that's what we use to process our renders automatically. It's pretty easy and very powerful once you figure it out.

voices? Is there even any male soldier voices in game?

Presuming that there will be at least a death scream in the "final version". So basically one voice file ;-)

Are we talking facial hair? armpits? unshaved legs? :P

Obviously since I mentioned the magic word "model", I am talking about the combat sprites.

Heh, no. Just that tiny tuft of fair visible from underneath the helmet. But why not facial hair as well ;-)

Obviously not much is visible in the current unisex/race model.

That is a option that is NOT going to be implemented...

By your mod... or eh?

I meant that if the game engine under the hood still carried the information (and the ability to show a different sprite when available), modders in general could add new animations that'd give the additional details.

As I remember, the alternate sprites were dropped due to the time consuming process involved in making them. So if the original models for rendering them were available and the underlying mechanics support implementing them, I am sure we'd eventually have more diverse animations.

I wouldn't personally mind running renderer a few hours just to have the ability to distinguish between John and Liu on "battlescape".

I think the Sayeret, Israeli Special Forces, has women.

Always has, I think... But that's as much due to the required manpower as anything else. In this instance you may have female support staff, but front line combat? in the 70s you'd have been laughed right out of the officers' corps for the idea. In a Modern stance I don't consider a good idea realistically... Not because I don't think they're ready, but because most men aren't. It's been proen that a woman getting shot has far more damaging consequence to the male psyche than another guy getting shot. WAY off-topic there, but just saying.

"Women in the military have a history that extends over 4,000 years into the past, throughout a vast number of cultures and nations. Women have played many roles in the military, from ancient warrior women, to the women currently serving in conflicts.

Despite various roles in the armies of past societies, the role of women in the military, particularly in combat, is controversial and it is only recently that women have begun to be given a more prominent role in contemporary armed forces. As increasing numbers of countries begin to expand the role of women in their militaries, the debate continues.

From the beginning of the 1970s, most Western armies began to admit women to serve active duty. Only some of them permit women to fill active combat roles, including Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Germany, Norway, Israel, Serbia, Sweden and Switzerland. Other nations allow female soldiers to serve in certain Combat Arms positions, such as Greece, India, the United Kingdom and the United States, which allows women to serve in Artillery roles, while still excluding them from units with a dedicated Infantry role."

From Wikipedia.

--O--

By your mod... or eh?

I wouldn't personally mind running renderer a few hours just to have the ability to distinguish between John and Liu on "battlescape".

This would be a great option, but the work is to mutch. I guess you need approx 430 000 individual pictures for John, additional 430 000 pictures for Liu and so on...

With low rendering option I guess I could make 10-20 pictures per min... Not including errors and corrections...

--O--

From the beginning of the 1970s, most Western armies began to admit women to serve active duty. Only some of them permit women to fill active combat roles, including Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Germany, Norway, Israel, Serbia, Sweden and Switzerland. Other nations allow female soldiers to serve in certain Combat Arms positions, such as Greece, India, the United Kingdom and the United States, which allows women to serve in Artillery roles, while still excluding them from units with a dedicated Infantry role."

That doesn't mean that all those nations had women in front line combat in the 70s or 80s though, only that they were allowed into uniform. And it doesn't actually say when those countries that did allow women into combat roles did so, unfortnately

The lack of complete historical accuracy is no reason to abandon it entirely. Even set in 93 women were still struggling to be allowed to fly combat missions in the US Air Force. I'm an example of one of those guys that has no problem with men dying around him, but I have significant issues with women even getting hurt around me. I recognize I'm old fashioned in that regard, but there are a lot of men especially in the military with that particular issue.

I'll also freely admit that one of the best places to push against that particular mindset would be in video games... course, I've long held that if women want equal treatment they should get an equal cut of the crap work ;)

I'll also freely admit that one of the best places to push against that particular mindset would be in video games...
Problem is that a lot of video games include women either for the heroes to have someone to protect or rescue, or as sex objects with grotesquely large breasts. I'm all for more "gender equality" (both ways) in games, but it has to be done in a respectful way. Mirror's Edge (Faith) and Portal (Chell) are two examples that come to mind of cases where developers included female characters and didn't make a fuzz about it.

Agree it's not something for Xenonauts, though, due to the time period. Though some modder will probably add them in eventually ;) .

There is a lot of arguments why there should not be any female women in the game, but I have not seen anyone mention the airplane used.

Here are some fact:

F-17: There are 2 different airplane named F-17; american build YF-17 and chineese build JF-17.

There was only 2 american YF-17 build and they have a double tail wing.

300px-Northrop_YF-17.jpg

The Chineese JF-17 look more like the one used in the game, but was not produced until 2006.

300px-Pakistan_airforce_FC-1_Xiao_Long.jpg

MIG-32: Never buildt. The MIG-31 Firefox had it first flight in 1975, and was starting to be used in 1982.

300px-MIKOYAN-GUREVICH_MiG-31_FOXHOUND_.jpg

Why bother if there wasn't any female soldiers in active duty in 1979?

--O--

300px-Northrop_YF-17.jpg

300px-Pakistan_airforce_FC-1_Xiao_Long.jpg

300px-MIKOYAN-GUREVICH_MiG-31_FOXHOUND_.jpg

300px-Northrop_YF-17.jpg.3d465320079429d

300px-Pakistan_airforce_FC-1_Xiao_Long.j

300px-MIKOYAN-GUREVICH_MiG-31_FOXHOUND_.