Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Soviet Weapon / Alternate Weapon Images released!

It's easy enough to mod the weapon values yourself though. I've currently got the AK alongside the M16, and it has a lower AP cost on burst fire (to represent the fact that the default setting for an AK is full auto) and packs a little bit more of a punch, due to the larger calibre ammo. Accuracy across the board isn't quite up there with the M16 though, so that's still the better choice for dedicated riflemen who sit back in cover and ping across long range shots.

Portlandia, Cascadia ___________ Wet Coast USA
    Good suggestions for the AK. I will probably tweak some other values as well. To be honest the default weapons might need some adjustment (magazine size comes to mind) however I was just concentrating on adding the Soviet ones for now. Of course all of this becomes a moot point as the ticker moves higher and the aliens become tougher- unless you are just an ironman masochist who wants to fight to the last man and the last bullet, whilst eschewing any alien weapon tech research
    I imagine at some point in the game it will become practically impossible to continue without bettering your weapon technology.
    I'm not really one of those loony tinfoil-hat, black helicopter, UFO types... just not very creative.

Well it would be cool to have weapons more in tune to where you build your original base. Say you build in Asia, you'll have the Soviet block weapons making up much of the mix. Europe would have H&K, etc...and the US would have Colt.
    There would be a unity mix, but your locality would offer the greatest percentage of support.
    If it's not going to be like this at release, I suggest we make a "Localization Mod" that ties it all together. It would be cool seeing flag patches on uniforms, more weapons, vehicles, etc... We can even add to the tile sets. It can be just cosmetic, or it could really change your game play depending on where you build your initial base (say one region offerings has pros and cons to the others).

Quote Originally Posted by XenoNUT View Post
    Good suggestions for the AK. I will probably tweak some other values as well. To be honest the default weapons might need some adjustment (magazine size comes to mind) however I was just concentrating on adding the Soviet ones for now. Of course all of this becomes a moot point as the ticker moves higher and the aliens become tougher- unless you are just an ironman masochist who wants to fight to the last man and the last bullet, whilst eschewing any alien weapon tech research
    I imagine at some point in the game it will become practically impossible to continue without bettering your weapon technology.
    Ha, I actually used to do that to some extent in the original Xcom; using good, old fashioned human weapons for as long as possible. There's just something more satisfying about downing a Muton with a clip full of man made bullets as opposed to a blob of filthy, alien plasma!

Re the Soviet weapons; I'm intending to add a research topic which basically represents making progress with thawing the Cold War tensions which grip the globe, even in the early stages of alien invasion. Researching this diplomatic topic would open up the Soviet Weapons pack, or something along those lines. If I can get it to work I'd personally like to add a few more research topics which play to this same geo-political theme. They'd run alongside the current alien based stuff, so you'd have a choice between where you wanted your focus to be; a unified Earth, battling the invasion together or going straight for the alien tech route, as in the current game. I can see why Chris hasn't really included this side of things in the base game, as it won't appeal to everyone, but I have to say, I love how open the file structure is for modding purposes. I've never modded a game before and Xenonauts is a piece of cake so far, which I think will result in a huge amount of fan made mods when the game is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobfury View Post
    Re the Soviet weapons; I'm intending to add a research topic which basically represents making progress with thawing the Cold War tensions which grip the globe, even in the early stages of alien invasion. Researching this diplomatic topic would open up the Soviet Weapons pack, or something along those lines. If I can get it to work I'd personally like to add a few more research topics which play to this same geo-political theme. They'd run alongside the current alien based stuff, so you'd have a choice between where you wanted your focus to be; a unified Earth, battling the invasion together or going straight for the alien tech route, as in the current game. I can see why Chris hasn't really included this side of things in the base game, as it won't appeal to everyone, but I have to say, I love how open the file structure is for modding purposes. I've never modded a game before and Xenonauts is a piece of cake so far, which I think will result in a huge amount of fan made mods when the game is complete.
    I would love this. Hope Chris changes so that researching doesn't force manufactoring so that this mod could be a posibility (manufactoring the soviet weapons seems odd when you get the others for free, but I guess you coudl go with that in a clinch)

Glad you like the idea, Gorlom. Once I've got a bit more time to actually look into what's possible and what's not I'll post something a bit more definite about the idea in the modding forum. If you have any ideas in the meantime, feel free to throw them my way (unless you want to keep them for yourself, obviously! )

Jimbob, that sounds like a really interesting idea.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Hey, glad you like it Chris. I know things are going to be incredibly busy for you at the moment, but off the top of your head; do you know if factors such as regional funding and relationships could be tied into a research project?

Jim, the unified earth think is interesting. If Chris (justifiably so) doesn't have time to work this into the core game, I'm more that willing to try out your mod!

Thanks man, glad to see a couple of comments from people who'd be interested in the idea.

Initial thoughts for the potential benefits/outcomes of pursuing these research subjects are (all dependent on what's possible of course)
    - access to weapon variants from arms deals (eg; the Soviet Weapons pack when a deal is struck with them)
    - Increased funding from various regions
    - Cheaper recruitment costs
    - Increased response times to alien threats, and maybe even a second chance at a terror site (delaying the current nuke strike via diplomatic means)
    - Radar stations in regions, outside of your bases.
    - Higher number of friendly AI in regions with good relations

Obviously, they're all centered around how the different nations respond to you as an organisation, rather than how their relationships with each other change. If I can think of anyways to simulate nations putting aside their differences then I'd like to include that aspect too, but I think it may be that I just have to allude to that in the xenopedia outcomes of the research projects.

It will probably be that the Cold War nations put aside their differences to back the Xenonauts as a common ally, rather than them working directly together. But I think that will still achieve what I'd like to aim for.