Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Ironman Mode?

What is Ironman Mode?

Hey

What does is ironman actually supposed to do?

I see it makes a save before the first ground combat, but not any others? Is this what it is supposed to do?

I also goth the "You lose" screen for quitting the game. Is that right? you have to finish a whole game in one sitting?

I thought ironman mode would be you can only save when you exit the game, and it would do that automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by winterwolves View Post
    I thought ironman mode would be you can only save when you exit the game, and it would do that automatically.
    That's the intention, it probably just hasn't been coded in properly. Game's in alpha and all that...

You could report it as a bug I suppose if someone already hasn't though the devs are almost certainly aware of it.
    Last edited by Jean-Luc; 04-20-2012 at 11:54.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Colonel
    The groundcombat in the original two games were essentially "Ironman" modes in that you could only save and exit, not load during them. Of course, you could just abort and then reload, but ho-hum.

Ironman is just extending that concept over the entire game. Diablo 1 and 2 did it with only having "Save and Exit" on the in game menu.
    It adds a nice level of persistance to games, one which used to be very common in the 80's and 90's, but sadly tailed off, unfortunately making games easier.

Also, I can't find the quote, but either Chris or some other venerable forum member said something along the lines of "Many people think that Ironman is a bug." I think that sums up the current situation quite nicely, it doesn't really work that great, so best to ignore it

Coffin Stuffer
    I'm married with two small kids and a full time job - no way I'm ever clicking ironman haha

Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellstormer View Post
    I'm married with two small kids and a full time job - no way I'm ever clicking ironman haha
    Why not?

All it does it stop you loading *during* a game and forces you to save on exit. That's it. You can still quit whenever.

It doesn't force you to sit at the machine, just means that if you say, lose a squad during a ground mission or lose a couple of interceptors during an ill fated interception that you have to deal with it and continue, not reload and wipe it from the game.

As it states in game, it makes you live with your mistakes. Although it's not quite finished yet.

I've updated the tooltip for this in the upcoming build to hopefully clarify its role. However, I still don't think it works fully as intended yet.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Sergeant
    I used to play ironman mode in Mount and Blade. That lasted until the first time I encountered a glitch that trapped my party in an endless loop that I couldn't get out of by any method. It's because of bugs, mis-clicks, power outages, cats on the keyboard, etc. that I no longer play any game that doesn't permit multiple saves.

Which brings me to another point, the last time I played the demo, it wasn't permitted to play on the hardest level without activating ironman. Considering that the mode can be toggled by the player as desired is there any reason to force people who want the biggest challenge to use an inherently risky single save policy? I enjoy a challenge but relying upon a single save file is tantamount to begging for file corruption. Never taunt Murphy.

file corruption as part of the dfficulty is working as intended =P

UP YOURS MURPHY!

The game is only balanced for normal difficulty right now, so trying Insane is a bit pointless at the moment.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt