What is Ironman Mode?

Hey

What does is ironman actually supposed to do?

I see it makes a save before the first ground combat, but not any others? Is this what it is supposed to do?

I also goth the "You lose" screen for quitting the game. Is that right? you have to finish a whole game in one sitting?

I thought ironman mode would be you can only save when you exit the game, and it would do that automatically.

I thought ironman mode would be you can only save when you exit the game, and it would do that automatically.

That's the intention, it probably just hasn't been coded in properly. Game's in alpha and all that...

You could report it as a bug I suppose if someone already hasn't though the devs are almost certainly aware of it.

Edited by Jean-Luc

The groundcombat in the original two games were essentially "Ironman" modes in that you could only save and exit, not load during them. Of course, you could just abort and then reload, but ho-hum.

Ironman is just extending that concept over the entire game. Diablo 1 and 2 did it with only having "Save and Exit" on the in game menu.

It adds a nice level of persistance to games, one which used to be very common in the 80's and 90's, but sadly tailed off, unfortunately making games easier.

I'm married with two small kids and a full time job - no way I'm ever clicking ironman haha

Why not?

All it does it stop you loading *during* a game and forces you to save on exit. That's it. You can still quit whenever.

It doesn't force you to sit at the machine, just means that if you say, lose a squad during a ground mission or lose a couple of interceptors during an ill fated interception that you have to deal with it and continue, not reload and wipe it from the game.

As it states in game, it makes you live with your mistakes. Although it's not quite finished yet.

I used to play ironman mode in Mount and Blade. That lasted until the first time I encountered a glitch that trapped my party in an endless loop that I couldn't get out of by any method. It's because of bugs, mis-clicks, power outages, cats on the keyboard, etc. that I no longer play any game that doesn't permit multiple saves.

Which brings me to another point, the last time I played the demo, it wasn't permitted to play on the hardest level without activating ironman. Considering that the mode can be toggled by the player as desired is there any reason to force people who want the biggest challenge to use an inherently risky single save policy? I enjoy a challenge but relying upon a single save file is tantamount to begging for file corruption. Never taunt Murphy.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't you both mean Finagle's Law and not Murphy's? They are quite different.

How are they different? Finagle's version is just Murphy's with an ammendment that suffers from "finding lost keys" syndrome. And Finagle's apparantly

never came into general usage the way Murphy's Law has
according to wikipedia. Meaning it's not as fun taunting Finagle as it is taunting Murphy.

Finagle's might be more relevant if you are a trekkie since Kirk and Dr McCoy seem to reference it instead of Murphy.

In conclusion: No, I definitely meant Murphy.

How are they different? Finagle's version is just Murphy's with an ammendment that suffers from "finding lost keys" syndrome. And Finagle's apparantly according to wikipedia. Meaning it's not as fun taunting Finagle as it is taunting Murphy.

Finagle's might be more relevant if you are a trekkie since Kirk and Dr McCoy seem to reference it instead of Murphy.

In conclusion: No, I definitely meant Murphy.

Yes but Murphy's quote and therefore his law actually went "If there are two or more ways to do something and one of those results in catastrophe, then someone will do it that way".

Edit: Wikipedia did not do it's research properly this time.

Yes but Murphy's quote and therefore his law actually went "If there are two or more ways to do something and one of those results in catastrophe, then someone will do it that way".

Edit: Wikipedia did not do it's research properly this time.

The know-it-all in me wants to jump ship immidietly and switch over to Larry Nivn's Church of Finagle...

But the redundancy in the double hyperbole annoys me a bit.

Plus while it is missquoted and innacurate the "Murphy's Law" phrase is wider known to the public. Noone knows what "taunting Finagle" is, and technically "taunting Murphy" is a phrase that doesn't need to be viewed in relation to Murphy's quote, because everyone will be thinking of the paraphraseing anyway. It's a phrase in it's own right... isn't it?

I think I'll stick with Murphy. (at least untill you edit the wikipedia article and spread the gospel of Finagle :P)

PS: do you have any source for the full correct quote?

PPS: wikiquote says it was Edwards son Robert that claimed his father said "something along the lines" of your version of the quote.

Since it is all hearsay and as far as I can tell the written down quotes are more along the lines of the commonly known version I think in the end we would have to go with that.

Edited by Gorlom

PS: do you have any source for the full correct quote?

The source I have is multiple that all spawn from the research of Dr. Kruszelnicki's book "Fidgeting Fat, Exploding Meat, and Gobbling Whirly Birds". And don't judge the book on it's name Dr. Kruszelnicki is a well known researcher and has many ties to the scientific community.