[V 9.3 - Ground Combat] - game freeze during Hidden movement

I managed to play through my first combat on a farm map with no problems. Killed one of them green ones (with a fantastic sniper shot from four squares away btw!). Next combat was a farm map as well, but here I got the bug after round three. Killed a Caesean in round two.

If you are asking why it hasn't been properly tested before release? ... *looks around* Hahaha... That's uhh... kind of what WE signed ourselves up for when pre-ordering and play testing the beta.

Alpha technically still I think but that's semantics - I just couldn't resist!! But yes you are right - we find the bugs so Chris and crew can squash them. At some point in every game there is a feature addition run where lots of new features are added into the game. During this period bug fixing is delayed a bit due to adding new material. Soon enough the squishing will begin in earnest once more.

Thus far the only game "breaking" bug I've found is this one and it has only started for me in this last build so I'd say that's pretty solid work by the team overall.

I think I may (and I stress 'may') have found a temporary fix to this bug...

I've made the following changes to the files found in the assets folder:

In the missiontypeprops_gc file, I've changed the number of civilians and friendly AI to 0. I noticed that a lot of my crashes seemed to follow strange behaviour from the civilians, so thought getting rid of them might be a step in the right direction.

I've also amended the assets/groundcombat/ai file, I've changed any reference to 'Offensive' to 'Defensive'. I'm pretty sure this is less likely to be the source of the issue, but I'll do some further testing.

Anyway, since making these changes I've comleted 3 ground missions in succession. Of course, there are no civvies running around to protect, but I actually found that the enemy AI now seems to move toward my guys a little more as a result, although that could be coincidence I guess.

Any feedback on whether this makes a difference for anybody else would be welcome. If it seems to work (or at least help) then I'll post it in the workaround thread.

Fingers crossed...

Six missions completed in a row now. This is looking promising... :)

Edited by jimbobfury
Updated following further testing

Same has been happening to me (ground combat, 9.31) where it gets stuck in hidden movement. This is an old bug I remember in one of the earlier builds.
I believe the old one was because of enemy AI and this one seems to be civvie/friendly soldiers AI.

I've made the following changes to the files found in the assets folder:

In the missiontypeprops_gc file, I've changed the number of civilians and friendly AI to 0. I noticed that a lot of my crashes seemed to follow strange behaviour from the civilians, so thought getting rid of them might be a step in the right direction.

:)

I followed jimbofury's instructions and have not had a hidden movement crash in about five missions now.

Nice work Jimbofury!

Now I am going to try putting friendly forces back in, see if they crash it, or of it is just civvies.

Would this explain also why civvies turn around in circles before moving around the map?

It's just how current ai work. Aliens do this too. They can rotates on place, run in random direction or shoot if you stay in front of them It very basic and not very "intelligent" in this moment.

....Any feedback on whether this makes a difference for anybody else would be welcome. If it seems to work (or at least help) then I'll post it in the workaround thread.

Fingers crossed...

Six missions completed in a row now. This is looking promising... :)

I made the changes to missiontypeprops_gc but didn't change any of the assets/groundcombat ai files and it worked fine. That suggests to me that it's something to do with civilian's getting stuck in a loop and basically running round and round infinitely during hidden movement. Once you remove civilians from the mission the problem resolves itself. Hopefully it's only temporary, as the presence of civilians adds to the depth of the game.

As a side note; for those who say "well this is an Alpha, so what do you expect?". Yes, it is an Alpha, you're right, and we do expect bugs; that's what we've bargained for when we agree to test an Alpha. However, it's not a free Alpha; we have paid to test it. The second Goldhawk took our money we became customers, so it's not unreasonable to expect some communication from Goldhawk. Don't forget, we're not just testing the game; we're testing Goldhawk's customer service as much as we are testing the game itself. This is their first game, so as a company they are an unknown quantity to us, and it's during this Alpha that their reputation will be made or broken.

Personally though, I'm pretty pleased overall with what I've seen so far.

I did the workaround and it worked for ONE mission - the next one? Crashed on the 3rd turn with the same bug :/

Edit: Ooop.. I seem to have missed the third one! Let testing recommence!!

Edit 2: So to try something else I deleted the section of the file labeled as "crashed?". This allowed me to play through two maps but the HM bug was still there on the third map. This was in addition to the previous workaround.

So it seems like for me at least something else is going on beyond just the Civvies AI.

Edited by Hellstormer

Okay, tried the work around. Worked for one mission, but still locked up on the third crash mission in HM. I'd removed the civilian AI, which according to the work around was the heart of the problem, with no luck.

Could it possibly be something in the overall AI coding? I might try a run with no infantry in my Chinook, just the UCGV, see if that works. If it still crashes, then we're looking at either enemy AI issues, or maybe the AI running overall in the ground combat if it still crashes with only 2 units on the ground, my UCGV and the enemy.

I assumed that to be a script that has a chance to trigger on hostiles getting within line of sight. It's really only one action, i thought it doesn't need AI codeing.

AI to me is when the game has several options and decides upon actions to take like where to move who to fire at etc. Not when relying on a random number generator to see if a unit sucessfully reactionfires or not.

When the enemy units didn't have any AI (I forgot if Chris said they didn't have any AI or just us forumgoers) they still reaction fired iirc.

Although I could be wrong and have missunderstood the whole thing.

PS: I have a hard time figureing out how your soldiers reactionfire would be hidden movement. =S

Edited by Gorlom

Hmmm, I'm not sure why some people are still getting the crash as I've not had it happen at all since I made the changes to the civilian AI. As Gorlam mentions, there are multiple references to the civilian AI in that file, so make sure you've not missed one hiding somewhere.

Also, I have changed any reference to the 'turn' action to 'runrandom' in the AI file, just to see if it helped avoid the alien always being in the same spot on the light scout crash site. I can't see why that would be causing the crash, but it might be worth trying if you're still having the problem.

There were four Civilian references right? I changed all four to zero and while the crash still happens it happens far less frequently now. Maybe 1 map in 5 instead of every 3rd - 5th turn. So it did help quite a bit but something else is going on still... no idea what though xD

I concur with jimbobfury. I've turned the civ count to 0 and it's not crashed yet. I also for testing changed the 0 to 1 for friendly AI for the farm maps, which hasn't been a problem.

Edit: Jinxed it.

Still crashy. Gonna drop friendly AI to 0 as well.

Edited by Buzzles

I played about 20 missions without a freeze. I have added five firendly AIs to all the maps to test that AI too during these missions.

I have just had my first HMSF (I reckon it is common enough to give it an acronym now). The firendly AI had blazed away at the aliens, then it happened.

I may as well also mention that the friendly AIs in the farm look like the blue shirted farmers. The must have some pretty snazzy shirts though, as they fire shotgun shells from them :)

I'm not sure if I can call it "freeze", but second Hidden Movement phase during my first ground mission was taking forever,

This is exactly what is here called "game freeze during Hidden movement" And whole thread about this issue.