Forum Migrations

Hi all - so in preparation for some kind of announcement (what could it be? :) ) we're considering migrating these forums to a new system in the next few weeks.

These forums have served us well for the past few years, but there's also quite a few problems with them that moving to a new system should fix - the search function not working properly, the email password notifications not working properly, the rather poor support for attachments and file hosting etc. Fixing this during a quiet period on the forums seems sensible.

I'm planning to move from vBulletin to IP.Board, having been part of a community that uses IP.Board and been fairly impressed with the functionality and interface. However I think we'll still be able to migrate the users and existing posts across fine, so for the average forum user it won't have too much effect. But non-standard functionality (I assume things like attachments and our file upload plugin) will probably be lost, so likely people will have to re-upload important files etc hosted on this forum after the migration.

At the moment, though, I consider that a price worth paying for a nicer-looking and more functional forum in the long term. However I just wanted to put this post up so people could ask any questions they wanted about the move, and to raise any points that I may have forgotten that I should factor into my decision.

We won't be doing the migration for a couple of weeks yet so there should be plenty of time to discuss things before we make any final decisions!

Will the migration break links to the forum? E.g. I have links to forum pages included in mod information on Steam Workshop - will these need updating?

(I suspect this may be a stupid question but I have no idea how these things work.)

I don't *think* the links will be broken; my only concern is that vbulletin seems to auto-shorten long links if you post them. I hope that won't lead to any issues, but it's something I'll check when we do a test migration.

I don't *think* the links will be broken; my only concern is that vbulletin seems to auto-shorten long links if you post them. I hope that won't lead to any issues, but it's something I'll check when we do a test migration.

Cool, thanks. And hope the change goes smoothly.

Heads-up: I am going to test the possible migration, so please bear with us if these forums go down briefly, or simply become slow. They did, for instance, just go down for about 10 minutes :)

Solver alive??? OMG.. my dead XCE hopes rised up!..