New to the Game! Does it have any devices to track or sense enemy movement???

Nope, but you don't need to go searching the entire map for the last alien. If you clear the UFO and hold it for 5 turns you win the GC mission, even if there are some aliens left alive. Means you don't have to go searching all over the map for the last one!

Nope, but you don't need to go searching the entire map for the last alien. If you clear the UFO and hold it for 5 turns you win the GC mission, even if there are some aliens left alive. Means you don't have to go searching all over the map for the last one!

Thank You for your reply the reason why I started this Thread is because I find it a little bit annoying that the aliens always take the first shot. It's like they are always waiting for you. It's a little bit unfair. No chance for cover or prevent an inevitable death. In Xcom you at least get the opportunity to position your soldiers before the fighting begins. Here it's like the first alien shot begins the combat sequence, it's a little unfair. Why can't the soldiers get the advantage? Shouldn't there be a reckon or something? Or at least get some knowledge as to where the ufo is? If a soldier dies I rather be a death caused by my choices. Than it be because an alien hiding in the shadows took a cheap shot.

Thank You for your reply the reason why I started this Thread is because I find it a little bit annoying that the aliens always take the first shot. It's like they are always waiting for you. It's a little bit unfair. No chance for cover or prevent an inevitable death. In Xcom you at least get the opportunity to position your soldiers before the fighting begins. Here it's like the first alien shot begins the combat sequence, it's a little unfair. Why can't the soldiers get the advantage? Shouldn't there be a reckon or something? Or at least get some knowledge as to where the ufo is? If a soldier dies I rather be a death caused by my choices. Than it be because an alien hiding in the shadows took a cheap shot.

The reaction fire mechanics do allow you to shoot first rather than the aliens. There are three factors which are important:

- The reflex attribute

- The weapon used by the unit

- The unit's remaining TU

The units reflexes and equipped weapon's reaction modifier are multiplied together to get the unit's initiative score. For example, a soldier with 60 reflexes with a assault rifle has 60 x 1.0 = initiative 60, while a soldier with 50 reflexes and a shotgun has 5 x 1.5 = initiative 75.

At any given point, a unit's true initiative is equal to their maximum initiative multiplied by the %TU the unit has remaining. Thus, a unit that has not done anything yet has their full initiative value, while a unit which has used half it's TUs has half its initiative value and a unit which has used all its TUs has an initiative value of 0.

Whenever a unit completes an action, it's initiative value is compared against the initiative value of all hostile units in sight of it (with hostile unit's initiative using the proportion of TUs the unit had left at the end of its turn). If the hostile unit's initiative is higher, they will take a reaction snap-shot (or burst fire, with a suitable weapon within 10 tiles).

If you suppress a unit, it immediately loses all its TUs so cannot reaction fire.

Implications for avoiding enemy reaction fire:

1) Hire soldiers with good reflex attributes

2) Equip weapons with high reaction modifiers (shotguns and pistols)

3) Move into risky areas (e.g. UFOs) using units which have a high % of their TUs remaining

4) Concentrate on suppressing hostile units to avoid reaction fire, then concentrate on killing them (e.g. open with an LMG burst attack or flashbang)

Points 2) and 4) are probably the most important. Using shotgun-armed units are forward scouts is good as they will typically not provoke reaction fire from enemy units immediately, while suppression is instrumental to taking UFOs. Point 3) is easy to do simply by avoiding over-moving on your turn (unless an area is safe, avoid using more than about 2/3 TUs where possible so you never have really low initiative scores when encountering an enemy unit). Point 1) is least important (there are better stats to recruit soldiers for) but worth bearing in mind if you want some point-men/women for your squad.

The mechanics are just not for me. Go walk around in a map that feels like a mine field where just moving your soldier one step can cause and instant death. That's not strategy that's just luck. At least in Xcom you had the UFO debris, something to help you guide you to the location. Here nothing. This game is not for me.

The mechanics are just not for me. Go walk around in a map that feels like a mine field where just moving your soldier one step can cause and instant death. That's not strategy that's just luck. At least in Xcom you had the UFO debris, something to help you guide you to the location. Here nothing. This game is not for me.

It isn't just luck - there's a lot of strategy in positioning units to ensure areas of the combat zone remain clear and safe, and equipping units appropriately so they can scout the combat zone is safety. This does stand in contrast to the Firaxis XCom games, which emphasise tactical moves primarily within the context of a firefight, but is no less strategy.

If it's not fun for you then it's not fun. No harm in that. But if you're put off because it feels very luck-based, then I'd encourage you to have a play around with some equipment loadouts and maybe look at some let's-plays to see how experienced players deal with movement/positioning before giving it up entirely. You might yet be surprised.

Of course it's luck if I decide to go NW and the ufo is NW I'm lucky. If I device to go NW and the ufo is SE I need to search all the map before I can find the ufo. And there is nothing to guide the soldiers in the right direction.

No sound or alien noises

No motion detector or sensor

No debri or fires to show the direction of the ufo

No battle scanners to show parts of the map.

And that's just one thing that I dislike about this game. Having my soldiers killing other soldiers because they happened to be in the line of fire just shows how backwards primitive the mechanics of this game are. I only remember things like happening in fallout 1 and 2. About 20 years ago. And the graphics well.... It's no the prettiest game but it reminds me of something from the SNES.

I thought your point about luck was referring to reaction fire, not where the UFO is placed. I'll confess: I'm not quite sure why lack of signalling of the direction of the UFO is such a point of consternation for you. Odds are, to complete a mission you will need to scout most of the map anyway and it is generally good practice to clear outside the UFO before assaulting it as otherwise you risk being ambushed as you get ready to breach the craft. So knowing where the UFO is in advance doesn't really give you much of an advantage.

But as I say, if you don't like the game then you don't like it. I can't change your preferences and won't try to.

My point is if I'm going to get sniped by aliens I can at least know where I am going and make a plan. In this game aliens just stand around and wait for you and snipe at your units. I have not seen them move or take cover just stand around like dummies and snipe at my soldier any chance they get. And it's always. In Xcom the aliens move around, take cover, move around the sides outflanking you. Here is just snipe at the coming soldiers who are lost and have no idea where they are going. That's my point.

In Xcom and Xcom 2, the aliens stand around like dummies waiting for your soldiers to trigger their pod so they get their free movement and can do something. Strategy in both Xcoms is about limiting risk by carefully triggering one pod at a time. In Xenonauts there are no pods to trigger - all aliens are active all the time. Strategy is all about limiting risk from exposure for which there are a number of tools at your disposal. If you are having difficulty grasping how to limit exposure,there are a number of strategies both here and on the Steam forums which kabill has already summarized.

From your posts you are treating Xenonauts like Xcom. For example, complaining when you put a solider in the line of fire of another solider they can get shot is clearly a callback to both Xcoms where it does not matter where you put your solider in relation to other soldiers, so long as he can see the enemy. If you apply Xcom theory to Xenonauts, you will fail every time. You have to relearn a new way of playing. It would also appear that you are near the start of the game, where UFOs are small and only occupy one section of map at the most. As the game progresses, UFOs grow larger and larger and will occupy a lot more of the map. You will have very little trouble finding them.

That's not what I mean, a pod is activated in Xcom but the first reaction when a pod is activated is not to snipe at the soldiers is to look for cover. And you can activate a pod and still be on your turn. Just depends on the soldier you are using at that time. Very different to have aliens in xenonauts just stand around and snipe at the enemies. My soldiers got killed getting to cover from a reaction/snipe shot. From just playing this game a few times I feel this is inevitable. Just running around and hope your units don't get killed from just 1 shot. And I haven't seen the enemies in this game run to look for cover. Just stand and shoot. I guess cover is not important in this game. In Xcom if you don't look for cover you die. In this game just moving your soldier can mean instant death.

In this game, its like reality. You go into the warzone and they are waiting for you. Cover is important but if you are at open you got still chance to survive. You can crouch at open too. There is "shield" in this game to prevent that deaths you described. Your soldiers can die at beginning because lack of armour but after you get your armours it's hard to die at one shot.

This is a real Xcom style so losing soldiers is one of the part of it. You can make real tactics here rather then playing chess at a very short distance at X-Com 2.. I bought that game at first day and bored in 2 hours. Pod enemies are so lame.

Cover is indeed an important part of Xenonauts, and deaths are nearly inevitable. Soldiers dying is totally okay though, unlike Firaxis' XCOM your soldiers don't gain new abilities and godlike power when they level up, so it's not as disastrous when they lost. The reason aliens just stand there and use reaction fire when you first see them is that this game uses very different mechanics than XCOM, so instead of running to cover and doing nothing until their next turn the aliens are immediately able to use reaction fire (assuming they have enough TUs to do so).

I think we have a couple of things going on here.

1 The Placement of the downed alien craft upon arrival of our Xenonauts force.

2 The advancement of our forces through the current map layout.

I'd like to address my thoughts on these two items if i may. (my thinking only, I may have misread your intention)

1 I can see @rafaelpic's argument in the placement of a known downed alien aircraft.

A: We have shot down the craft overland and should know the general coordinates of the crash site.

B: Upon arrival we descend from the air unit ,Charlie 1. We should have a good view of the site. Maybe even a fly-over to confirm the site provides a decent landing point. If none presents itself we can assume a short airdrop and e-vac point is established.

C: If we take into account A and B then we should know which direction the alien craft should be and can thus proceed in the direction

most logical.

Hmmm. As this is not the case in the game and we are left with the hide-and-seek element it remains that it is both fun and un-realistic. It's fun to hunt the aliens down. It is also glaringly obvious that we should know the direction of the downed alien craft.

2 Advancing through the map terrain in search of the (nasty) aliens does present a sense of tension that is the staple of this game. I personally like this type of suspense.

A: From your perspective it seems like (in the early game stages) your beloved soldiers are being shot down without a chance to

defend themselves. This is a classic direction of thinking if you've not played this type of game before. Don't worry. It has

happened to us all. What I think may be going on here is. When you move your soldiers you are not allowing for reaction

opportunities. Let me explain: When the aliens are moving they are leaving enough TU: time units to fire upon your soldiers that

come into view.

It is so tempting to "rush" into the map to find the alien craft that you may be leaving no TU's to allow for reaction fire on the

aliens. Hmmm. The aliens are allowing this TU advantage for you, why should you not for them? That is the question.

The aliens do move during their turn. I hear doors open and such. If you strategically allow your TU then you have a small opening

for a reaction attempt.

Also like @dregas mentioned, you have shields, and later basic armor to protect you. That stops most cases of a one-shot-kill.

My advice for you is if you are starting a new game and have reviewed all your soldiers stat's and are on a mission. (despite knowing the location of the alien craft) proceed with caution. Take your time, and group your team into 2's or 3's.

As far as the new Xcom and Xcom2 the POD deployment system was designed for that game system attributes and functions and should not be a concern in this game. As it is irrelevant for Xenonauts 1.

My point is if I'm going to get sniped by aliens I can at least know where I am going and make a plan. In this game aliens just stand around and wait for you and snipe at your units. I have not seen them move or take cover just stand around like dummies and snipe at my soldier any chance they get. And it's always. In Xcom the aliens move around, take cover, move around the sides outflanking you. Here is just snipe at the coming soldiers who are lost and have no idea where they are going. That's my point.
Actually, they move quite often and will try to sneak around behind you even. If you think you're are being sniped too often you are using poor tactics. That is usually the result of leaving your soldiers standing in the open at the end of their turn. Instead you should leave them behind cover and crouched. Also, the Hunter Scout Car and the vehicles that follow it have superior vision range and see the enemy before they can see you in most cases. Provided you move cautiously you should be able to keep being sniped to a minimum. Edited by StellarRat

The mechanics are too primitive for 2 turns the aliens just shooted at my soldiers, they didn't run or looked for cover. Just stood there out in the open. They AI is more concerned about saving actions points or something.

I'm sorry if I miss understand you here, but this is a turn based game. When it is the aliens (bad guys) turn you are left helpless as to the actions that happen to your soldiers after you select End Turn.

It is your responsibility as a Commander to place, and/or position your soldiers during the movement turn you were given and allow for the individual soldiers cover and reaction fire.

Example: Before you end your turn. did you position your soldier behind cover? is he crouched? did you allow enough time units for a reaction fire attempt ( a random chance to fire during the aliens turn)? If not then you have left your soldier open and unprotected during the aliens turn of action. You will be unable to move during the aliens turn.

During the aliens turn it is sad and sometimes terrible to watch, as they approach and fire on your men, but this is the process of the game in turns. Even well placed soldiers hidden behind cover have a chance to be hit, and damaged enough to die in the first part of the game.

As the aliens move, take cover, and shoot your soldiers you can do little but watch the outcome of the event. You was given your turn to place your man. Now you must take the events that play out as given.

Your soldiers at this point can't react. You can't move the as you have already taken your move action.

Your defense is to end your move actions behind cover, crouched, and with time units left to spare for reaction fire(based on reflex attribute of the soldier).

Just remember you move then the aliens move. When the aliens move they can fire on your solders, if they have the time units. If you left your solder open (not crouched, behind cover, or etc.), then there is a very good chance the alien shoots at you and scores a hit with a good amount of damage.

In the first stages of the game this will probably kill that soldier leaving you frustrated and infuriated at the game as you just lost a good asset.

I hate to break it to you, but Xenonauts is a successful niche game - the success of which is paying for the development of Xenonauts 2. It is certainly not for everyone - it does not have the broad base of appeal which XCOM has through the streamlining and simplification of mechanisms and the addition of multiple aids. Xenonauts was strongly influenced by the people who supported Goldhawk during development - they got the game they wanted. It isn't the game you want, and as kabill has said if it's not fun for you then it's not fun.

Edited by Max_Caine

Max, There is no point to compare XCOM Fixaris and Xenonauts. I completly agree that Fixaris make a limited and junk game that has no strategy elements.

Xenonauts has lot of strategy elements bur Rafael is right that the interface is clumpsy, there are a lot of factors that xenonauts lacks (noise, line of sight, accuracy ...).

Xcom vs xenonauts is like "really bad game" vs "poor designed and bad planned game".

Even if you don't like Xcom EW, it at least gives you a tutorial to Help you. And you get hints and suggestions to get you started. I played a game called UFO extraterrestrials and it's almost the same as xenonauts, and the graphics are even better. There are many Xcom clones at least make one that invites the player to play. I don't get your point? When I encountered aliens they just stand and shoot, they don't move or look for cover. Just stand where they are and shoot. Xcom aliens move these don't.

Is there a cover system in this game? Do the AI care about looking for cover? From my very short experience there is none. Its all about who shoots first. And of course it will always be the aliens. I've have not encountered soldiers killing aliens on the first encountered but would be curious to know if that has happened? And if any devs are reading. Make your second game at least with a tutorial.

There's a button labeled "Game Manual" on the launcher. You should probably skim through it, it'll answer a lot of these questions.

Is there a cover system in this game?

Yes.

Do the AI care about looking for cover?

Yes, although cover is not the only thing they care about and it is given different priority by different aliens.

Its all about who shoots first. And of course it will always be the aliens. I've have not encountered soldiers killing aliens on the first encountered but would be curious to know if that has happened?

As in killing with reaction fire? Yes, that is definitely possible. Generally the player is the aggressor, and thus the one initiating contact, which is a huge advantage even with the threat of reaction fire.