Xenonauts 2

Chris, some questions from the Bay12 forumers:

- Is there any hope of XCoM Apocalypse style terrain destruction?

- Also, can we destroy whole buildings in Xenonauts 2.?

- Is the amount of time units used for firing weapons and such still going to be a ratio based on the individual units?

There are a bunch of features in Jagged Alliance 2's 1.13 mod that would fit right in to Xenonauts 2. While there's nothing wrong with XN1's ground combat, some more tactical flexibility wouldn't go amiss.

Prone - The prone position is highly valuable in JA2, and would be to an equal degree in Xenonauts - many maps are barren of low cover, making it very awkward to position your troops where they can fire upon enemies but be somewhat protected at the same time. The prone position is basically a last resort in such a case - caught out in the open, it may be preferable for your troops to go prone and suppress the enemy rather than continue moving to cover that might not be safely within reach. Additionally, it can maximise the effectiveness of a piece of cover or concealment.

Interrupt/Reflex - In XN1 I often found myself frustrated by troops taking reflex shots that I wouldn't have had them attempt if I had control. Furthermore, sometimes they wouldn't react in critical moments despite having the TUs to do so.

1.13's Interrupt system allows for you to directly command the mercs who in Xenonauts would've just fired, meaning you can reposition them to make a shot if there's a risk of friendly fire, or choose to move them to better cover instead, whatever their remaining APs would normally allow you to do. However, certain factors may determine that an interrupt is ended during or after any given action. Whether a merc interrupts is dependent on the visibility of the target, their experience level and whether or not you've chosen certain perks or attributes.

Weapon handling - In 1.13, there were essentially 3 states for a merc, in regards to his weapon - Lowered, Ready (Iron/CQ sights) and Ready (Magnified Optics). I'll go into those last two in more detail in the next paragraph, but what this boils down to is the player could spend a few APs in each turn to 1: reduce the cost of the first shot next turn (unless their weapon is already raised), and 2: Increase their chance of an interrupt if an enemy enters their field of view during the enemy turn. Ordering a merc to fire their weapon would first have them ready it, costing anywhere from 5 to 30% of an average merc's APs depending on the weapon, its attachments and related perks/attributes

Optics - So, what do those two ready states mean? Essentially, if your merc has a scope mounted on their gun and they are aiming, they will either be looking through the scope or down their ironsights. Using the scope will restrict the merc's field of view, but depending on the type, will dramatically extend their visual range. Targets entering to within a certain distance will be harder to hit with the scope than ironsights and may be more costly AP-wise.

Basically it allows for a trade-off between long-range accuracy and visibility, and threat detection (field of view) and close-quarters accuracy and reflexes. As I understand, a merc using their scope when a target enters their line of sight in close quarters during the enemy turn, will have a lower chance of triggering an interrupt than if they had ended their turn in ironsight mode.

Now this could be streamlined for XN2's purposes - When aiming, a scope user will have their field of view restricted but visual and effective weapon range increased, with a chance-to-hit malus applied at close range.

Firing weapons - I'll try and keep this short - basically, JA2 allows for multiple aiming levels in all three firemodes (Semi/Burst/Auto), dependent on the weapon and optic. The accuracy of successive shots in a burst is determined by many factors - from the merc's strength, to the power and weight of the gun, down to how bulky their vest is. Of course that's impractical for XN2's purposes (Not that it wouldn't be nice!), bottom line is if you have the APs to spend, you can dramatically increase the effectiveness of automatic fire

There are many more features exemplified in 1.13 that I'd like to see in XN2, but to list them all here would be a waste of everyone's time. I know this might not have been the most appropriate place to dump my hopes and dreams, but here it is anyway

Edited by Morbo512

There are a bunch of features in Jagged Alliance 2's 1.13 mod that would fit right in to Xenonauts 2. While there's nothing wrong with XN1's ground combat, some more tactical flexibility wouldn't go amiss.

I 100% agree with this, JA2 with 1.13 is the definitive tactical iso-thingy, whatever you call this genre. I mean I can get that you might not want to over complicate XN2 for sales and that but maybe add optional toggle or something at the start of the campaign like 1.13 does? Either way I suppose it'll depend on dev time and all that but please for the love of god don't simplify the existing mechanics for wider accessibility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...